GT vs V6 Sway Bars - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
GT vs V6 Sway Bars

Hey, was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the stock GT and V6 sway bars.

A friend is replacing his and I was thinking about taking them and putting them on mine.
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

It might be different. On the performance package, Ford put the GT front sway bar on and considered it an "upgrade". I guess it is something.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I was wondering if it's enough of a difference to make it worth replacing them.
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
They are not worth the time to install them, even if you get them free.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post

Ah ok.

Yeah my buddy said he'd give them to me for free. If I won't feel a difference I won't do it.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

GT vs V6 Sway Bars

Does anyone know the size difference?? Front and rear
Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I forget how much bigger the gt is vs the v6 but I want to say it's a fairly big difference. I want to say steeda has the stock dimensions of their website so you know how much of an improvement their part is.

If you can get them for free and it's a thicker bar then why not install it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post

Rear one can be installed in 15minutes. 15mm socket, take out 6 bolts (two bolts for the links, two bolts on each bracket) and remove. Then replace with the new one. Front one will take a little more time. I just replaced my front with a whiteline adj and had to customize the stock brackets in order to fit over the bushings. That's a whole different story though.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Rear one can be installed in 15minutes. 15mm socket, take out 6 bolts (two bolts for the links, two bolts on each bracket) and remove. Then replace with the new one. Front one will take a little more time. I just replaced my front with a whiteline adj and had to customize the stock brackets in order to fit over the bushings. That's a whole different story though.

Out of curiosity, what makes the front one more difficult? Is it a tight squeeze?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

GT vs V6 Sway Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Out of curiosity, what makes the front one more difficult? Is it a tight squeeze?

You have to take off the two front wheels to get to the upper nuts on the links. Also, I had to remove some type of brace in order to lower the sway bar out (had to use locktite on the 8 bolts when reinstalling it). And the brackets that hold the bushings on we're weirdly designed and I had to customize the brackets and actually cut out a piece on each side for it to fit correctly over the bushing. (This was only for the bigger bushings that came with the whiteline bar.) It's really hard to explain without pictures or having the components in hand. If you're not mechanically inclined, I would recommend having someone else do the front bar for you. But you can tackle the rear bar no problem. Just make sure you grease the bushings.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 05-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #11
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
You have to take off the two front wheels to get to the upper nuts on the links. Also, I had to remove some type of brace in order to lower the sway bar out (had to use locktite on the 8 bolts when reinstalling it). And the brackets that hold the bushings on we're weirdly designed and I had to customize the brackets and actually cut out a piece on each side for it to fit correctly over the bushing. (This was only for the bigger bushings that came with the whiteline bar.) It's really hard to explain without pictures or having the components in hand. If you're not mechanically inclined, I would recommend having someone else do the front bar for you. But you can tackle the rear bar no problem. Just make sure you grease the bushings.

So you think it's mostly more difficult because it was the larger aftermarket bar?
Old 05-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
So you think it's mostly more difficult because it was the larger aftermarket bar?

Because of the larger bushings. There was a d bracket that went over the bushings. Then there was another flat bracket that went in between the d bracket/bushing and mounted on the car. Like I said, it's hard to explain without pictures. You can probably do it, just take your time and make sure to use thread lock when putting the bolts back on the brace, and also on the bolts for the sway bar links that connect to the strut. Ford recommends certain hardware to be a one time use and the link bolts is one of them.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
2014 v6 pp had svt swaybars 34mm in the front and a 24mm rear. I upgraded to a 27mm rear white line adjustable with adjustable end links as well

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:08 AM   #14

I bought a GT front bar for mine. Its almost as big as a Steeda, less than a millimeter difference. Steeda claims that their bar is 10% stiffer than the GT bar while it is 85% more stiff than the V6 bar, so off those numbers the GT sway bar is 75% stiffer than the stock one. I believe the stock V6 bar is 26mm and the GT bar is 34mm
lincolnhjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
You are assuming that Ford used solid bars for the front, which is incorrect. They used a hollow tube with a .250 wall. On this car, stiff on the front is generally a good idea, as long as it does not add weight. Stiff on the rear is not usually what you want for this car. I actually went down relative to the OEM bar before I did lca brackets, and I am adjusting to a stiffer setting to reduce some of the rear grip (but I will still be softer than the OEM GT bar, as it was just a bit too stiff). My front bar is 50% stiffer than the stiffest factory bar, weighs less, and came with it's own brackets.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:28 AM   #16

Gotchya, yeah I was just going off of what Steeda says. I know they are hollow and Steeda is solid, but it doesn't seem to be that big of a difference for the regular driver. A track car could would definitely notice the difference. I kept the stock rear swaybar
lincolnhjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I was putting up the data for what's on the performance package v6 which is the 34/24 set up as well as other things. The window sticker says they are svt bars for my car

14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #18
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang View Post
I was putting up the data for what's on the performance package v6 which is the 34/24 set up as well as other things. The window sticker says they are svt bars for my car

From what Voltwings said, the front swaybar on the V6 PP is from a GT and the rear is from the SVT.

2014 V6 Performance Pack Question

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang