BBK Shorty Ceramic Headers - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #36
Kevin.Cook

I cant remember, didnt you post a video of yours somewhere? I cant remember. Would like to hear it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Kevin that ticking is from your gaskets! You should have ordered new one's, only costs around 20$!

Sorry i had too lol.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #38
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Kevin that ticking is from your gaskets! You should have ordered new one's, only costs around 20$!

Sorry i had too lol.

Sent from LG G3.
Im about to tape ford gaskets all over my car. Lmao
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 07:38 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Im about to tape ford gaskets all over my car. Lmao
Lol thumbs!

Sent from LG G3.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #40
Kevin.Cook

I tried searching for header leak videos on mustangs like ours but found nothing.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
have you checked the bolts that hold the manifold to mid pipe flange?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did want to say. I pulled the trigger finally. Ordered 3.73 gears! Excited! Getting them installed mid June. Quoted 450 for the install by ProModular Performance. One of the few places that has all the tools for the install in Austin, TX.
Congrats, your going to love them! They were by far the best upgrade/mod I've done. I remember when i picked up my car from the shop after my 2.73s to 3.73s swap, got in the car , loaded up my new tune, started it up, hit the gas and holly hell what a difference, and that was just normal driving. It was the longest 250km break in ever lol.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3.7 View Post
have you checked the bolts that hold the manifold to mid pipe flange?
Naw man, its just his crappy aftermarket paper gaskets lol.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #44
Registered Member

Regular

how do you like it with 3.73's?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 PM   #45
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Congrats, your going to love them! They were by far the best upgrade/mod I've done. I remember when i picked up my car from the shop after my 2.73s to 3.73s swap, got in the car , loaded up my new tune, started it up, hit the gas and holly hell what a difference, and that was just normal driving. It was the longest 250km break in ever lol.

Sent from LG G3.
Yea. I decided to make that into a new thread since it is unrelated to a header leak. Lol.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3.7 View Post
how do you like it with 3.73's?
Great! I was torn between 3.73 or 4.10s. Decided to go 3.73s (manual) glad i did, 4.10s would have been to much for me.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:14 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
I cant remember, didnt you post a video of yours somewhere? I cant remember. Would like to hear it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #48
Kevin.Cook

Very nice. Did you do the cut and clamp last? If so, how would you say it changed the tone? Did you feel any difference?
Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #49
Kevin.Cook

Lmao! I just saw i commented on the video already. Thanks for that response.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:07 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very nice. Did you do the cut and clamp last? If so, how would you say it changed the tone? Did you feel any difference?
No, I actually did it first. Then headers, then the mufflers

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 05-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #51
Kevin.Cook

Ahh. Poo. Well at least i know what the end result will be now. Once i get this ticking figured out.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:18 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Can you upload a sound clip?

Old 05-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I have the header ticking as well. I was told it was due to the 24v vvt functioning properly and the shorty headers amplify the sound that was not audible in the stock manifolds.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

Been like that for almost a year and have had it checked for leaks and retightened everything. Nothing was found or changed. Still there

14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:54 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like typical exhaust leak. Cover the ends of your tailpipe and it should get louder (2 person job) A crappy weld will open up when tightening up your bolts if there is some kind of twist or misalignment. They will look ok before you put them on, but will open up when tightening. I have seen it before on my 68 GT. It took a bit time to figure it out.. Make sure you do the soap bubble thing when it is cold. OR you can just go to a mufflers shop that can do a smoke test.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #55
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Sounds like typical exhaust leak. Cover the ends of your tailpipe and it should get louder (2 person job) A crappy weld will open up when tightening up your bolts if there is some kind of twist or misalignment. They will look ok before you put them on, but will open up when tightening. I have seen it before on my 68 GT. It took a bit time to figure it out.. Make sure you do the soap bubble thing when it is cold. OR you can just go to a mufflers shop that can do a smoke test.

I appreciate it. When plugging the mufflers, is it going to cause any issues? Like, should we be quick as to not wreck anything?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:11 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I think you're likely going through all this trouble over nothing.

I see you're tuned, do a datalog and send it off to Bama. If they are any kind of tuner they should be able to tell you you have a leak from the logs. If they tell you good to go then you can stop worrying about it.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

I also have the BBK ceramic shorties, and I also have a ticking sound. I originally tried the gaskets that came with the BBK's (twice, since the passenger header itself leaked at the collector), tried swapping back to the factory gaskets that came with the car, then bought new gaskets from Ford. All of these have had the same ticking sound, which is really only noticable when I'm driving next to a wall or something. For a long time it upset me, but after surfing forums about headers in general and talking to many of my mechanic friends I'm pretty sure this is normal for aftermarket headers (thinner metal and such). If not, I would also love to get it fixed lol. OH, I've checked for leaks many times, and cannot find any (hose stethascope and soap method).
rgstelzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #58
Kevin.Cook

I just want to make sure I don't burn any exhaust valves or anything! LOL.

Other then that, I can live with the ticking sound. Along with the 1 piece driveshaft clunk. Soon my car will start it's own band. LMAO!
Old 05-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have bbk with the bbk gasket and no tick. You should find an Ndt inspector and have the welds penetrant tested. I would do it for you since I'm a Ndt tech but I'm in Michigan . I play with radiation for a living. What could possibly go wrong.

Smoke test will be your next best option if you don't find it with soap. I personally have never seen luck with a soap test. Try baby soap though. I believe it bubbles the most

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What I have found works the best for the soap test is little kid bubbles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
03Graymach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Sorry to hear about your ticking sound Kevin! It's strange, I researched the BBK headers quite a bit on forums and customer reviews before buying, and this is the first I've heard of an issue with ticking. I was hoping to get mine installed this weekend (now I'm a little worried)...if so I'll definitely let you know if I have the same issue!
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #62
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
Sorry to hear about your ticking sound Kevin! It's strange, I researched the BBK headers quite a bit on forums and customer reviews before buying, and this is the first I've heard of an issue with ticking. I was hoping to get mine installed this weekend (now I'm a little worried)...if so I'll definitely let you know if I have the same issue!

Thanks. If it doesn't get better by next weekend, I am going to take them to my wife's uncle. He has a lift and we will take everything apart and put it all back together again. Test it. Etc.

Let me know how your experience goes.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Thanks. If it doesn't get better by next weekend, I am going to take them to my wife's uncle. He has a lift and we will take everything apart and put it all back together again. Test it. Etc.

Let me know how your experience goes.
How can you even think about taking it all apart and put it back together, without first testing it?
I dreaded just going back to retighten the nuts after a few heat/cool cycles.
No noise from mine, as far as I know.\
Maybe we should have a poll for people with or without the ticking noise.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #64
Kevin.Cook

Lol. Well i will first test it of course.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just want to make sure I don't burn any exhaust valves or anything! LOL.

Other then that, I can live with the ticking sound. Along with the 1 piece driveshaft clunk. Soon my car will start it's own band. LMAO!
You have an alum drive shaft clunk? Thats a new one.

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #66
Kevin.Cook

Yea, there have been threads were us peeps with 11-14 autos mentioned a clunk when going into reverse. It doesn't happen always, but just enough to notice. People with Manual trans don't seem to get this. Must be just us slushbox people. LOL!
Old 05-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I have a clicking noise from mine but no clunk.

14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang