Air Bag Sensors and the Track - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Air Bag Sensors and the Track

Okay, something really unfortunate happened at what I call the "small track" last weekend to a Camaro (recent model, not sure the year and don't really care).

As a point of clarification what I call the "small track" is a former kart track that is now used for autocross. It has elevation changes, nice wide track, irregular curves, rumble strips all kinds of stuff for a fun experience without the expense of going to a big track -- it just has straights short enough that you aren't likely to exceed about 60 mph.

Anyway, the relevant part of this post is that this newer model Camaro went into a corner and hit the rumble strip taking the turn wide. No big, really -- most of us do it to squeeze out just a little better time. But it is a bump if you hit hard.

His side air bags deployed with a bang. Computer shut his car down and he ended up getting towed home. Bad news for Mr. Camaro.

So that got me thinking. Okay, don't do that on any track. Stiff bump might equal airbag deployment or fuel pump shut down or both.

And then I was wondering. But what about Mustangs with the track or performance pack? Does it decrease the sensitivity of the collision sensors to accommodate to avoid this kind of thing? Does anyone know? And, has anyone had this kind of problem at the track with one of our V6s (or any other Mustang I guess)?
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My fiance and i have both put wheels off ( 2 separate cars) and hit curbing a little rough - though this is the curbing you're supposed to hit in a corner - and have not had issues, nor have i heard of anyone.

Check out Corner ponies on facebook if you're interested, its a good group. I personally have not heard of this happening, it may very well have been a fluke.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Damn sucks for Camaro guy. Insurance likely will not cover that as he was on a "race track" doing race track things. I can't imagine this type of thing is common, most likely a fluke as stated above. I know most people who race their cars and don't daily drive them do remove airbags. Also off roaders that are serious about the sport will not run airbags either for this reason. I am curious like you are op as to what if any differences there are in a TP or PP car. Heck even a boss for that matter. They are essentially built for auto x.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you're good, there's a loop hole. You're not actually racing since it is not timed, you are "at a driving school." Now, they can argue high risk, you can argue this and that... It is doable, but not really "easy." Does suck though. Thats why we started tracking a miata, they offer special track day insurance, but our deductible would have been the cost of a miata anyways...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang