Lower Control Arms for V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Lower Control Arms for V6

I have a V6 without the performance package and am considering purchasing and installing lower control arms for the rear end for a couple reasons and am looking for advice.

For now I'm looking at the Ford Racing set since it includes the set of bolts and special nuts from Ford and don't really care that third parties will sell the same thing without the bolts and nuts for $17 less.

My goal is two-fold: reduce the hop I get when taking curves that have a little bump to them. I refer to either at the track or going normal speeds on country roads. I don't care so much about "wheel hop" because I don't drag race my car. I do just autocross or HPDE at the big track where fast starts don't matter.

Second, I hear a "thump" going over bumps when it's cold out (like 40s and lower temperatures). I've always had it and I'd like it to go away.

Does anyone know if installing new and upgraded lower control arms has a good chance of eliminating these two issues?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
The thump may be your shocks/struts. Mine went out on my car fairly early. Same thing with my moms car. It got warrantied and fixed quickly

Sent from my XT1064 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is probably out of warranty for that now. Sadly, I couldn't get it to thump when I last had it at the dealer to look at it. It was January, which should have been cold as heck here, but as luck had it it was 50F instead of a more typical 0F and lo, there was no thunk to show the mechanic.
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My opinions on the matter:

1. the FRPP pieces are still rubber bushings, so they wont be much, if any, better than stock. Technically, if you're concerned with cornering you should be using Spherical bushings, but those induce a good bit of NVH. Poly bushings can bind and deflect in a corner, but they're a good middle ground as far as NVH and structure are concerned. I personally never had issues with the BMR ones - shameless plug, since they are currently for sale over in the FS section - but i honestly wouldnt waste my time with the FRPP ones.

2. You'll need a proper set of LCA brackets since i am naturally going to assume you are lowered, and the BMR brackets come with new hardware, and the torque specs are 135 ft/lbs ... the ****s no joke.

3. Your shock and spring package / tire sidewall and pressure is going to dictate how your car feels in the corners probably more than the LCAs. The lcas are a good investment, i dont mean to sound like im talking you out of them, just that they may not solve the exact problem you are looking to fix.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hey thanks, Voltwings! My car isn't lowered -- my drive is very steep where it meets the street and I already have to take it one wheel at a time to avoid scraping my Mustangs nose. So lowering would be a problem for me. I know lowering would likely help me out at the track a little bit, but practicality wins in my case -- not gonna leave my car on the street.

I'll look at BMR and also keep collecting opinions and ideas before I do anything. Due to a knee problem, I'm not going to mess around with taking wheels off and modifying my car unless for sure it's going to help me out.

Thanks again, and I'll keep watching here for more thoughts from you guys.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Lower Control Arms for V6

You should install a set of sway bars. I had the same hop you are referring too. It's like the whole car seems to shift when going over bumps. I was really impressed after installing a front and rear sway bar how much better the ride is. The whole car feels much more planted when hitting bumps/going around turns. The lower control arms are more for keeping the axle planted under hard acceleration and has little to do with side to side movement. Install a set of sway bars and I guarantee it will take away the hop you are referring too.

Also, the thump you are referring to are the upper links for the sway bar. I have the same problem. So do a lot of other people if you research the topic. Under 50 degrees and it thumps away. Today, 70degrees and not a peep. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
My opinions on the matter:

1. the FRPP pieces are still rubber bushings, so they wont be much, if any, better than stock. Technically, if you're concerned with cornering you should be using Spherical bushings, but those induce a good bit of NVH. Poly bushings can bind and deflect in a corner, but they're a good middle ground as far as NVH and structure are concerned. I personally never had issues with the BMR ones - shameless plug, since they are currently for sale over in the FS section - but i honestly wouldnt waste my time with the FRPP ones.
This^ The rear sway bar I installed was a ford racing, and it still thumps when it's under 50degrees. I am going to change it out for a whiteline rear bar like I have up front. Superior quality and quietest bushings out there imo. BMR is also top of the line. The spherical bushings are quite pricy.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang