Ordered 3.73s!!! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #36
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
Doing a gear swap is way more involved than doing headers.
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #37
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Doing a gear swap is way more involved than doing headers.

Yup. I thought all I would need is a rope, duct tape, and a banana. But after watching some videos, I gave up that train of thought.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hauppauge
Region: New York
Posts: 25
Leather seat are expensive and expecting it from a dlr
I picked up a set of Ford Racing 410 gears from my supplier and had my DLR install them with them supplying the gear oil and additive with labor came to $400.00 no warranty due to me supplying gears
But the can supply and install and warranty the hole job just need to price it out if you need to save money on parts let me know what you need and your location you maybe able to pick up from one of my suppliers near you you said you paid over $250 is it a complete kit with fluid and shims gears alone are 144 so how is that you paid $263 if you don't mind me asking hanks in advance


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
musclec1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #39
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclec1r View Post
Leather seat are expensive and expecting it from a dlr
I picked up a set of Ford Racing 410 gears from my supplier and had my DLR install them with them supplying the gear oil and additive with labor came to $400.00 no warranty due to me supplying gears
But the can supply and install and warranty the hole job just need to price it out if you need to save money on parts let me know what you need and your location you maybe able to pick up from one of my suppliers near you you said you paid over $250 is it a complete kit with fluid and shims gears alone are 144 so how is that you paid $263 if you don't mind me asking hanks in advance


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

AM has the gear kit for $280. With our Forum discount, I got it at $263. This includes bearings, shims, gear oil, etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hauppauge
Region: New York
Posts: 25
Oh I guess it included S&H it makes sense


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
musclec1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hauppauge
Region: New York
Posts: 25
Oh by the way did you consider doing axles while the rear is apart


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
musclec1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:05 AM   #42
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,022
I read enough about gear swap to know it is a skilled job to do right.

Mr. Cook you are a lucky dog. I just want to drive one with 3.73's....any one in CT willing? I'll treat to lunch.
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #43
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclec1r View Post
Oh by the way did you consider doing axles while the rear is apart


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

AM doesn't charge shipping. You must not be too familiar with them

My car has like 9000 miles on it. So the axles should be fine still. Some people dont even do the shims and stuff if they have less then 30k miles. But I would rather be safe then sorry. Plus it cant hurt to have all new stuff

---------- Post added at 11:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I read enough about gear swap to know it is a skilled job to do right.

Mr. Cook you are a lucky dog. I just want to drive one with 3.73's....any one in CT willing? I'll treat to lunch.

You can keep the lunch if you drive to TX.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hauppauge
Region: New York
Posts: 25
9000 is low and stock axles do take abuse the only thing is if you are going to do more upgrades the you have to reopen the rear axles don't cost much they need to be removed while swapping gears
I installed Alloy USA the kit cost $388 online and I installed new abs rings. I push my car to the max and you can see it by the burnout I did in front of my friends shop. I added a lot and still adding more. With a Mustang you don't stop doing mods you just want more


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
musclec1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #45
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclec1r View Post
9000 is low and stock axles do take abuse the only thing is if you are going to do more upgrades the you have to reopen the rear axles don't cost much they need to be removed while swapping gears
I installed Alloy USA the kit cost $388 online and I installed new abs rings. I push my car to the max and you can see it by the burnout I did in front of my friends shop. I added a lot and still adding more. With a Mustang you don't stop doing mods you just want more


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Well I don't have the extra $400 at this time. I just did the headers and cosmetic mods. I dipped into my savings for the gear kit. But only because a friend offered to pay for labor. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even be doing this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hauppauge
Region: New York
Posts: 25
Yeah I understand cars can be a money pit
Thank God for sponsors but still sometimes I I just can't believe I could have purchased a home with the money I put into the cars well in the near future if you need something let me know and I'll help you


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
musclec1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hauppauge
Region: New York
Posts: 25
Also let me know how the swap goes


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
musclec1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:27 PM   #48
Registered Member

Regular
 
Socal Stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temecula Ca.
Region: California
Posts: 1,872
Kevin you have an automatic?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #49
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclec1r View Post
Yeah I understand cars can be a money pit
Thank God for sponsors but still sometimes I I just can't believe I could have purchased a home with the money I put into the cars well in the near future if you need something let me know and I'll help you


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I could always use a Pony Package grille
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #50
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Kevin you have an automatic?

Yes. I KNOW I KNOW. I should have got a Manual, I should have got a V8...the list goes on and on! LOL!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
DEvermore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Iowa
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Not sure to be honest. What do people do with their old 3.31s? I know most people trash the 2.73s.[COLOR="Silver"]
Keep 'em. I kept my 2.73s in case I decide I want to trade in my Mustang for a newer model one day. This would allow the dealer to take it back to stock and re-flash the computer. A stock car is, I think, probably a lot more salable than non-stock.
__________________
2017 GT350 w/electronics package.
DEvermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
20prima10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Flint mi
Region: Michigan
Posts: 765
Vig. There more involved but easier to access it's a toss up to me. But I know how to do them easily so for me there the same. I wud rather do gears than those headers lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hauppauge
Region: New York
Posts: 25
Send me a link or info of what you want I I'll call my suppliers and get u a quote
And no my car is equipped with a 5 speed


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
musclec1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:42 PM   #54
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclec1r View Post
Send me a link or info of what you want I I'll call my suppliers and get u a quote
And no my car is equipped with a 5 speed


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

"Supplier"? These better not be HOT! LMAO!

I am just kidding. I already have a future deal worked with au01st on their Pony Package grille. Thanks though. I appreciate it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #55
Registered Member

Regular
 
Socal Stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temecula Ca.
Region: California
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Yes. I KNOW I KNOW. I should have got a Manual, I should have got a V8...the list goes on and on! LOL!
Lol, no that's not why Im asking. Have you driven an auto with 3.73's? I have the 6 speed manual and while I do like it, knowing what I do now I would have done 3.55's instead. In 6th gear doing 80ish Im just under 3000 RPM's. Im not sure where you will be in a auto, but for a DD you might not like it...
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #56
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Lol, no that's not why Im asking. Have you driven an auto with 3.73's? I have the 6 speed manual and while I do like it, knowing what I do now I would have done 3.55's instead. In 6th gear doing 80ish Im just under 3000 RPM's. Im not sure where you will be in a auto, but for a DD you might not like it...

Aww cmon man. I am auditioning for the next Fast and the Foolish! Just kidding.

So from what I heard from people, highway driving in an Auto going about 70, you are at about 2400 RPM at 6th gear. They say you should drive at the RPM normally to see if you like it before doing the swap. What I find is, I always have the car in Sport Mode and I take manual control. I leave the car in 5th gear on the highway because I love the way the car sounds at 2300-2500 RPM. and 70 is the highest that the highways around here go. So I don't foresee any issues.

I know if I did want it to rev lower, I won't have that option anymore because I am already in 6th gear. But that is fine.

I have 3.31s already. I feel they do not quench my thirst for revving and acceleration. And I think 3.55s would be hardly a change. 3.73s would be my minimum choice if I wanted to see a noticeable change.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:10 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hauppauge
Region: New York
Posts: 25
I'm a custom car shop and I have many ties with manufactures all over the world
So when your ready I'm here


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
musclec1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #58
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclec1r View Post
I'm a custom car shop and I have many ties with manufactures all over the world
So when your ready I'm here


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

I appreciate it. My last BIG mod which is the front Brembos isn't happening until Fall. So I wouldn't want to get quotes right now because that leaves almost 4 months for prices to change and such.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #59
Registered Member

Regular
 
Socal Stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temecula Ca.
Region: California
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Aww cmon man. I am auditioning for the next Fast and the Foolish! Just kidding.

So from what I heard from people, highway driving in an Auto going about 70, you are at about 2400 RPM at 6th gear. They say you should drive at the RPM normally to see if you like it before doing the swap. What I find is, I always have the car in Sport Mode and I take manual control. I leave the car in 5th gear on the highway because I love the way the car sounds at 2300-2500 RPM. and 70 is the highest that the highways around here go. So I don't foresee any issues.

I know if I did want it to rev lower, I won't have that option anymore because I am already in 6th gear. But that is fine.

I have 3.31s already. I feel they do not quench my thirst for revving and acceleration. And I think 3.55s would be hardly a change. 3.73s would be my minimum choice if I wanted to see a noticeable change.
Ok cool. Let us know what you think.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #60
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Ok cool. Let us know what you think.

Will do. Mind driving to Texas so I can take your car for a spin?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #61
Registered Member

Regular
 
Socal Stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temecula Ca.
Region: California
Posts: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Will do. Mind driving to Texas so I can take your car for a spin?
I would but I just don't want to
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #62
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I would but I just don't want to

  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:00 PM   #63
VIG
Registered Member
Regular
 
VIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmington
Region: Delaware
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclec1r View Post
I'm a custom car shop and I have many ties with manufactures all over the world
So when your ready I'm here


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Well damn, I'm going to be going through LI this weekend for a friend's bachelor party in the Hamptons.

How much for a gear swap??
__________________
IG: workshardplayshard
VIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #64
Evolution's Finest

Supporter
 
Hampton CIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Williamsburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 527
[QUOTE=Kevin.Cook;2234944]Oh trust me, if I could get them done now, I would. But a friend of mine is paying for the labor as my bday present. So I HAVE to wait D:[COLOR="Silver"]

+1 on the good friends. I can't help but think about your original post about not many shops in Austin do the work... And that means, happy birthday to you. I'm so moving to Austin.
__________________
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #65
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
[QUOTE=Hampton CIT;2235468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Oh trust me, if I could get them done now, I would. But a friend of mine is paying for the labor as my bday present. So I HAVE to wait D:[COLOR="Silver"]

+1 on the good friends. I can't help but think about your original post about not many shops in Austin do the work... And that means, happy birthday to you. I'm so moving to Austin.

stay away from here! The drivers are soo bad. I cannot count how many times someone almost hit me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular
 
sunnytan06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 233
Ordered 3.73s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
After weeks of thinking and contemplating, I finally ordered the 3.73 gear kit from AM. Came out to about $263 with the forum discount.

Not many shops can do the install here in Austin, TX. And some of the shops that claim they can, are pretty sketchy. The shop I am going with is Pro Modular Performance. They specialize with Mustangs. Quote for the install is $450. I will be taking it in mid June to get these put in.

I currently have 3.31s. So I am not sure what gain/change I can expect since most people that have upgraded had 2.73s. Either way, I am sure I won't be upset.

As far as RPMs with 3.73s - I currently keep my car in 5th gear on the highway because I LOVE the sound of my Exhaust. So in 6th I should be in the same boat so no biggie.

I already requested an updated tune from Bama with 3.73s. I will also be adding in my BMR rear LCAs. Now to wait 3 more weeks or so.

Wow 260 for the kit?
I bought it all from am but separately. End up spending 100 more
sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hauppauge
Region: New York
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Well damn, I'm going to be going through LI this weekend for a friend's bachelor party in the Hamptons.

How much for a gear swap??

What do u have and what do u wantClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1432849290.162343.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	183589 this for example is what we use on drift cars Unit alone is $1600.00 with no gears


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
musclec1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #68
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Good news. Install is being pushed from mid june to November!.....just kidding.

Install is taking place next Wednesday. I am excited!!!!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hauppauge
Region: New York
Posts: 25
Nice don't forget to re tune the car for 373's speedo will be off a little


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
musclec1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #70
Kevin.Cook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclec1r View Post
Nice don't forget to re tune the car for 373's speedo will be off a little


Sal sr One Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Yup, should be getting my updated tune from Bama any day now. I might PM Alex just to be sure.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Brand New Ford 3.73s 99MustangGTman Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 5 06-12-2008 12:43 PM
3.73s or 4.10 stovalini69 1996-2004 Mustang GT 7 08-01-2006 10:06 PM
FS: 8.8" w/ 3.73s stangin99 Mustang Parts for Sale and Wanted 3 10-14-2004 05:38 PM
anyone in FL want a rear end with 3.73s and tlok? Stylin97V6 Regional Mustang Discussion 1 12-07-2003 10:48 AM
Used factory Ford 7.5 3.73s & T-loc --- Any Good? Stang01 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 24 07-18-2003 05:40 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:40 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.