Ordered 3.73s!!! - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #176
Kevin.Cook

Gotcha. Other option would be, maybe adding additional friction modifier? Some people said adding extra quiets them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2015, 11:25 PM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Ordered 3.73s!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Gotcha. Other option would be, maybe adding additional friction modifier? Some people said adding extra quiets them.

If you used royal purple I think it already has friction modifier in it I think. Other than that I would say it's worth a try you never know it might help

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:31 AM   #178
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm_3.7 View Post
If you used royal purple I think it already has friction modifier in it I think. Other than that I would say it's worth a try you never know it might help

It does have friction modifier
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #179
Kevin.Cook

Well I am going to drop off my car at the shop again to have the specs rechecked on the gears. The tech thinks I got a bad gear set because he did try playing with the specs in the range specified but this was the best outcome. The shop said they have installed gears many times and sometimes people do come across bad gears.

The howling between 50mph and 60mph is getting unbearable as this is mostly the speeds in my area.

I will report back with what I find out. If I got a bad gear set, I would be pretty upset as that is about $700 I will have to spend again. With buying gears, install kit, and paying someone to do the complete install again.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:00 PM   #180
Kevin.Cook

Shop is tearing it down to take a peek. The tech said the Motive gear kit is generally garbage and bearings in them tend to fail quite often. I read some of the reviews on AM and some others have expressed this also. He is quite certain he will need to reorder a whole new kit, but prefers the parts from Motorcraft. I wonder if AM will reimburse the bad gear kit and any of the labor for the first install failure....
Old 06-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #181
Kevin.Cook

So it seems the bearings for the Pinion portion failed. I will have to get a whole new install kit and pay for additional labor.

Now I would not write anything without calling first. So I called AM, spoke with a rep. They said they WILL NOT assist with any of the shop fees and will only be refunding me just under $100 for the failed parts. That doesn't even help me as now I have to buy a new install kit - $140 and more labor. Which can be anywhere from $300-$400.

The shop said if they supplied the parts, they would be willing to not charge anything for the rebuild. Which would be the Motorcraft install kit. Since they did not supply the parts and they were Motive, which they say is not the best kit for these, they will have to apply a fee.

Not sure what to do. Really upset. I always buy from AM because of the confidence they give the buyer. But I am a little shaken right now. It's not like the shop did stuff out of spec and broke the items. Everything was in spec. It was the kit that was bad.

so I have to shell out 400-500 dollars. Be down a car for a week or maybe a bit less. And get all of the failed parts together (assuming I can), and take more time out and mail them back to AM. I KNEW I should NOT have done this mod. I had a baaadddd feeling I would regret it.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #182
Kevin.Cook

I PM'd AMAlex. Hope to get some clarification to this insanity.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #183
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
They may have put too much preload on the pinion bearings
Old 06-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #184
Kevin.Cook

and I asked that. Ford's spec is 16-28 for the preload. After checking it over a couple of times, they finally set it to 20.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:35 PM   #185
Registered Member

Regular

My book shows 14-19 inch lbs for new 8-10 for old....

back lash .011-.016"

ring gear bolt 60 ft. lb
bearing cap bolt 60 ft lb
Old 06-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #186
Kevin.Cook

Now I need to figure out if AM's install instructions are wrong. This is from the PDF Guide they have on their website. Which was in the box with the rest of the gear kit.

36. A pinion shaft with new bearings needs to have a preload of 16-28 lbs-in. Once the slack is gone between the
bearings, drag or preload will start to build up on the pinion. Care must be taken not to go too fast on the tightening at
this stage, so as not to exceed the 16-28 lbs-in. of torque. Constant checking with a torque wrench should be done, as in
Fig. 21.
Note: If too much preload is applied, you cannot back the nut off, as the collapsible spacer has been set. If this
happens, you must disassemble the pinion assembly and re-assemble with another NEW collapsible spacer and probably
NEW nut.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #187
Kevin.Cook

In this video they also mention 16-28 for new. Now I am confused.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #188
Kevin.Cook

This is from Ford Racing's website: http://fordperformanceracingparts.co...4209-g355m.pdf

STEP 11: Once pinion depth is achieved using a new crush collar or preload shim pack (Dana) set pinion bearing
preload 15 in./lbs. rotating torque with used bearings, and 25 in./lbs. with new bearings. Once preload is
set, install the seal and loctite pinion nut.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #189
Kevin.Cook

Found this: Quick Guide to Diagnosing Differential & Driveline Noises - OnAllCylinders

Noise: Howl while decelerating (gears previously quiet)
Cause: Loose pinion bearing preload

Noise: Howling while accelerating over a small speed range (gears previously quiet)
Cause: Worn gear set due to lack of lubrication or overloading

So I have a little bit of either between 50-60mph. But I don't understand how I would be overloaded and underloaded at the same time. Lol.

I also need to figure out who's install specs are correct. Seems everyone is using different specs. Which would explain why people have different experiences usually during the install.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:30 PM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Found this: Quick Guide to Diagnosing Differential & Driveline Noises - OnAllCylinders

Noise: Howl while decelerating (gears previously quiet)
Cause: Loose pinion bearing preload

Noise: Howling while accelerating over a small speed range (gears previously quiet)
Cause: Worn gear set due to lack of lubrication or overloading

So I have a little bit of either between 50-60mph. But I don't understand how I would be overloaded and underloaded at the same time. Lol.

I also need to figure out who's install specs are correct. Seems everyone is using different specs. Which would explain why people have different experiences usually during the install.
Kevin that really sucks! But it shouldn't be up to the customer to supply the install specs, but yeah i would be checking this stuff also now if it happened to me.
I've also read that motive is noisy, and i would go back with the OEM stuff along with a new set of ford racing gears. I cant believe this has to come out of YOUR pocket again as your just the customer, whether it was a botched install or bad set of gears. How common is a bad set of gears anyways? I don't read to many of these if any.
Did you make a video before dropping off your car?
Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #191
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Kevin that really sucks! But it shouldn't be up to the customer to supply the install specs. I've also read that motive is noisy, and i would go back with the OEM stuff along with a new set of ford racing gears. I cant believe this has to come out of YOUR pocket again as your just the customer, whether it was a botched install or bad set of gears. How common is a bad set of gears anyways?

Sent from LG G3.
Thanks man. Not so much bad gears. But bad bearings! If you read the AM reviews, others have even experienced the same thing with the Motive bearings. I just figured by now they would have corrected this. GUESS NOT!!!

Yea the quotes I am getting to redo this here in Austin range from 500-1100. I shouldn't have EVER attempted this mod.

Does anyone think this gear howl will get any worse or better? I can live with it if it won't get worse. If it means I save $1,000.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:44 PM   #192
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks man. Not so much bad gears. But bad bearings! If you read the AM reviews, others have even experienced the same thing with the Motive bearings. I just figured by now they would have corrected this. GUESS NOT!!!

Yea the quotes I am getting to redo this here in Austin range from 500-1100. I shouldn't have EVER attempted this mod.

Does anyone think this gear howl will get any worse or better? I can live with it if it won't get worse. If it means I save $1,000.
I feel really bad for you! I'm not sure if it will get worse over time or not, but maybe Volt or Rap can chime in and give a trusted answer. Maybe you can P.M one of them, they really know their **** and might save you the extra $$$.
But if i had to guess it won't get any better and might get worse over time, but again its just a guess.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I believe it will just keep getting louder as time goes on man. If you can live with I say just leave but it would be better to get a new gear set installed

Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #194
Kevin.Cook

Yea. I have seen AM comment on reviews where they have worked with people on installs and stuff. Instead, I call and get lack of empathy and told I am eligible for up to ~$97 refunded for the kit. Like, I am not having to shell out 500-600 more. How is $97 going to help me as I am out $700 already?!

What really makes me mad, is I can't even get the $97 until I provide paperwork showing the first install and the 2nd rebuild. Then I have to mail them the old bearings and shims. Like, they got the $260 no problem from me, and now I have to do backflips just to get a partial refund. I am tempted to say whatever to the $97. Not like that is going to get me an entire new kit.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #195
Registered Member

Regular

So Kevin, the bad bearing, this is the one that comes with this kit?

Ford Racing Mustang 3.73 Gears and Install Kit 100573 (10-14 V8; 11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

When I got mine done it didn't have any noise. The last couple of hundred miles Im starting to get a howl as well. I notice it when I let up on the gas. Its not real bad and some people might not notice it , but I do.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #196
Kevin.Cook

Yes that is the kit. That Motive bearing kit seems to have a bad pinion bearing part. Even reviewers in the comments said the same thing.

---------- Post added at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Straight garbage.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #197
Registered Member

Regular

Damn, this sucks.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #198
Kevin.Cook

Crappy part is both shops i talked to said they have to take everything apart again to reapply a new pinion bearing. Otherwise, it could fail and seize up (from what i have heard). So a new install kit is needed and possibly new gears if the wear pattern and stuff is bad.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #199
Registered Member

Regular

If you guys want to buy good quality gears and master install kits, just contact me, i'll help you out as much as i can.

Also i will not sell motive stuff.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Crappy part is both shops i talked to said they have to take everything apart again to reapply a new pinion bearing. Otherwise, it could fail and seize up (from what i have heard). So a new install kit is needed and possibly new gears if the wear pattern and stuff is bad.
Maybe Jon 3.7 can hook you up on a gear kit and possibly some new gears if needed.

I wouldn't go anything motive.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #201
Registered Member

Regular

For install and stuff he'd be looking around 850..... thats installed out the door with new stuff.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #202
Kevin.Cook

What about the $1,140 price quote the Austin location gave? Lol. Nah i am gonna let the shop provide their own kit this time. So it is warrantied.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #203
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
What about the $1,140 price quote the Austin location gave? Lol. Nah i am gonna let the shop provide their own kit this time. So it is warrantied.
I don't blame you, at this point. You'll be able to sleep better.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #204
Registered Member

Regular

that was with a 300 dollar warranty, i told you that. You don't have ot have it and it should only be 100 not three hundred.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #205
Kevin.Cook

The tech said as a courtesy he is gonna replace my drivers side header gasket and check the welds to try and make the ticking go away. At least i get that. And on top of AM not giving me a full refund for the broken gear kit, they sent me the wrong side scoop install stuff. After waiting 2 weeks! :/
Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 PM   #206
Registered Member

Regular

lmao.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #207
Kevin.Cook

Yea man idk if they had a change of staff or something but it didnt used to be like this...

I am also switching to MPT for my tunes after this gear fiasco gets fixed.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #208
Kevin.Cook

After reading that over again....who uses the word Fiasco? Lmao?!
Old 06-09-2015, 07:29 PM   #209
Registered Member

Regular

I may go to MPT as well. Wife loves the car now after the tunes got fixed, but still think the car could have more
Old 06-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

I down with trying mpt also. You guys going to order just one tune? I'm thinking of just getting the 91 tune as this is what i run 99% of the time.

Sent from LG G3.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang