A good comparison---- V6 or turbo 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
A good comparison---- V6 or turbo 4

Check it out
2015 Ford Mustang V6 vs Ford Mustang EcoBoost - AutoGuide.com News

I personally would still choose the V6.
I already dusted my friends 2015 Turbo four from 40 mph to about 90 mph.
His is manual mine is auto.
He was in front on the on ramp of I-95 I was about an inch behind him. Got on to the interstate and I just blew by him.
When we got to Bob Evens He said he did his best.
You can't say we were street racing because that is just how we get onto I-95. ALWAYS No better way.

I don't know what the heck they did to the 2015 V6 but they really de-tuned it or something. I think the 2014 was probably the better performing 3.7 V6 engine. I'm just gonna keep my 2012 MCA forever.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Is it true Ford will be getting rid of the 3.7? I thought I read that some where before...
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
Kevin.Cook

The IRS may play a small part. Also the ECUs being different may tell us one day how conservative they are tuned. I think Bama is still trying to create tunes for the new V6s but they haven't got through the ECU yet? Idk, that was the last I heard of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
id say its highly likely, the EB is superior in every measurable way, and Ford offers no packages with the v6 right now which makes it very unappealing.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Interesting quotes from the article:

"As tested, the Ecoboost did beat the V6, but not by much, posting a 22 MPG average vs 21.2 MPG."

"In fact, from a dead stop, the V6 responds more readily to input. But once the boost builds in the four-cylinder, the shorter geared Mustang begins to pull away from the V6."

"With more power, better fuel economy and the optional performance package, it appears the Ecoboost is a no brainer over the V6. But it’s not that simple. Smoother, more comfortable and cheaper, there are advantages to the V6 model, especially in base trim."

Sooo... Better fuel economy? Their testing only showed a 1 MPG real world gain for the Ecoboost. More power? Yes, somewhat. Interesting that Ford chose to de-rate the V6 in order to make the Ecoboost more attractive. Optional Performance Package? Yet another way that Ford is trying to make the Ecoboost more attractive - by offering options for it that aren't available for the V6.

After reading various reviews, I'm still glad that I decided to buy a 2014 V6 w/ the performance package instead of waiting for a 2015. It would be interesting to see how a '14 V6 w/ PP would fare against a '15 Ecoboost w/ PP.

This may be heresy to post on a Mustang forum, but I have to give Chevy credit for their engine lineup in the 2016 Camaro. I wish Ford would have gone the same route instead of making the V6 the base motor. Just my humble opinion...

And again, I'm not bashing anyone's ride. If you have a '15 Ecoboost Pony and you love it, great! Drive what you like! As for myself, I'm going to hang on to my '14 sixxer for a long time.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
id say its highly likely, the EB is superior in every measurable way, and Ford offers no packages with the v6 right now which makes it very unappealing.
Very true. Going in to check out the V6s knowing they don't come Premium or with a Performance Pack, makes me want to keep my 2014 for a while. lol

No idea why Ford did this to the V6. A V6 with the PP is still a fun car for the mild driver.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
Interesting quotes from the article:

"As tested, the Ecoboost did beat the V6, but not by much, posting a 22 MPG average vs 21.2 MPG."

"In fact, from a dead stop, the V6 responds more readily to input. But once the boost builds in the four-cylinder, the shorter geared Mustang begins to pull away from the V6."

"With more power, better fuel economy and the optional performance package, it appears the Ecoboost is a no brainer over the V6. But it’s not that simple. Smoother, more comfortable and cheaper, there are advantages to the V6 model, especially in base trim."

1. Sooo... Better fuel economy? Their testing only showed a 1 MPG real world gain for the Ecoboost. More power? Yes, somewhat. Interesting that Ford chose to de-rate the V6 in order to make the Ecoboost more attractive. Optional Performance Package? Yet another way that Ford is trying to make the Ecoboost more attractive - by offering options for it that aren't available for the V6.

2. After reading various reviews, I'm still glad that I decided to buy a 2014 V6 w/ the performance package instead of waiting for a 2015. It would be interesting to see how a '14 V6 w/ PP would fare against a '15 Ecoboost w/ PP.

3. This may be heresy to post on a Mustang forum, but I have to give Chevy credit for their engine lineup in the 2016 Camaro. I wish Ford would have gone the same route instead of making the V6 the base motor. Just my humble opinion...

And again, I'm not bashing anyone's ride. If you have a '15 Ecoboost Pony and you love it, great! Drive what you like! As for myself, I'm going to hang on to my '14 sixxer for a long time.
1. The 3.55 gear equipped car, with heavier wheels, returned better gas mileage than the 3.15 geared car equipped with ice skates for tires. Gotta look at the whole picture. Also, the car may only come with 10 more hp, i in fact doubt Ford even took the effort to "lose" 5 hp and didnt change anything, so we'll call it a 5 hp difference.
The torque however, is a much different story, the v6 makes 280 at 4000 rpms. The ecoboost makes 320 from 2500 to 4500 rpms, which is by far and away more than the v6. Add that to the gearing, and its no surprise the ecoboost is faster, even the base model ecoboost has a 3.31 gear.

2. Same as above. Less gear, less torque, i wouldnt be surprised if PP vs PP the EB walks away. Hell, my 265 hp / 3200 lb mazdaspeed3 WALKS 3v GTs stock vs stock. You cant beat the torque a turbo offers.

3. I obviously am biased towards turbo 4s, i have been building, tuning, and driving them for a long time. That is not to say i am biased against the v6 however, i love driving my fiances car - bolt ons and 3.55s is sick in that car. However, i think Ford has done it right. The EB has room to grow, just look how easy it was to bump power up for the Focus RS. There isnt much growing room in an NA motor compared to a turbo motor. Chevy putting 275 hp in a car the camaros size is just dumb ... im waiting for the head to head of the EB vs the v6 camaro.

- for the record, i am here to discuss, not argue. I respect everyone's opinion, i just may be a little overzealous in expressing mine.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Very good points, Voltwings. I appreciate the discussion, nothing wrong with a bit of zealousness for your views.

Speaking of weight, that was one thing that factored into my interest of a 2011-14 PP vs Ecoboost PP. I don't know if the marginally lighter weight of the previous gen car is enough to offset the admittedly larger torque numbers and lower gearing of the '15 Eco PP. I suspect you are right; but it would be fun to watch the race, regardless.

On that note, I am also looking forward to the 2016 Mustang Vs. Camaro comparisons!

Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling S197 View Post
Very good points, Voltwings. I appreciate the discussion, nothing wrong with a bit of zealousness for your views.

Speaking of weight, that was one thing that factored into my interest of a 2011-14 PP vs Ecoboost PP. I don't know if the marginally lighter weight of the previous gen car is enough to offset the admittedly larger torque numbers and lower gearing of the '15 Eco PP. I suspect you are right; but it would be fun to watch the race, regardless.

On that note, I am also looking forward to the 2016 Mustang Vs. Camaro comparisons!

This indeed. I figured a 3300 3400 lb ecoboost would be a blast with the right mods, but the fact that it weighed as much as my base model 5.0 just didnt do it for me. I had my GT on the scales at 3580 give or take, and the EB is mid 3500s. Just not enough to sell it.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I think the Stang is the only Ford using the 3.7 (others are the 3.5) I also read the only reason Ford kept the V6 is for rental car cost/simplicity. Sad to say I see it's demise.

side note I looked at MSRP and it was $1400 for the turbo and $8-9k for the V8
Old 05-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
Kevin.Cook

I know the 2014 V6 challenger is a 3.6L
Old 05-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
If Ford offers their double turbo V-6 setup in the not to distant future for the Mustang my 2013 MCA Ed. with PP will be traded in. If not, I will hold, as they say in playing cards.
24kmach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang