Do yall really change LCAs in the driveway - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Do yall really change LCAs in the driveway

Finally picked up a low profile jack so I could change my LCAs. Woke up plenty early before it got too hot. Got the car up by lifting via the rear end housing and put Jack stands on the axle. When I slid under I could hardly get the rear bolts to move with my breaker bar. After realizing there was no way I was getting to the fronts from my position I re-torqued the rear and lowered the car back down.

Any tips I am missing? Looks like a simple job if you can get leverage. My only thought is maybe I need higher Jack stands. The car would be plenty high if I wasn't supporting it from the axle but I lose a lot of the height when I have to lower it back down on the supports. I want to say the stands are 17".

Might wait until I switch wheels and do it with the wheels off if that's how some of yall have done it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1432912679.872715.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	183654

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Jack the whole car up and rest the stands on the body, you're going to need some wiggle room in the axle.

Do one side at a time and it should be a breeze. You gotta get the car pretty high up though. Careful if you're lowered though, jack the front up too high and you cant get the jack under the rear, and vice versa.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Jack the whole car up and rest the stands on the body, you're going to need some wiggle room in the axle.

And two more Jack stands apparently.

Got a low profile jack that had no problem reaching the rear end housing from directly behind the car. Don't have the side-to-side space to jack from the sides of the vehicle unless I use the parking lot instead of my garage, and my apartments are pretty strict about working on vehicles.

Might see what the local exhaust shop charges to use their lift for an hour.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You can probably do it with just the rear, i just find it easier with a level car. Try with the jack stands on the body for more room under there first.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Ok. But then I still need the jack to raise the axle? I read that the axle needs to be supported to get the bolts to line up.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 05-29-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Yea, but as long as you don't remove both sides at the same time you only need the jack on one side to bring it where it needs to be.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Got it. Then once the bolt is threaded a few turns the jack can be removed for more space to get necessary leverage.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 05-29-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I just did my ... 4th? Set this past weekend and if you're working by yourself you may need to keep the axle supported ... i would find it very difficult to work under there with a jack in the way. With an extra set of hands though, you should just be able to jack the car up and call it a day.

The only thing i can think of where i would be wrong, is in each case i was installing LCA brackets as well, so i did not need to get the LCAs up as high to bolt them in. Going back to stock location may be difficult?
Old 05-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

So wait til I lower and do it all at once including the brackets? They've been sitting for a few months so a few more won't hurt. Just looking to kill time until my Raxiom stereo arrives later today.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 05-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Id personally do the LCAs and brackets at the same time, most bolts are torqued to 135 ft/lbs, which is a ton of work both tightening and loosening lol ...
Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
That's why I use the end of my jacks handle as an extension. Works wonders on really tight bolts!

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #12
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chech View Post
That's why I use the end of my jacks handle as an extension. Works wonders on really tight bolts!

I have a breaker bar and got them loose, it barely had enough room between the sway bar and the ground. If it was on a lift I am sure I would have no problems. Gonna see what that costs and maybe take my next off day to do it. Lowering won't be for a few months.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 05-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I jacked mine up in the rear only. I also used air tools.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
I jacked mine up in the rear only. I also used air tools.

+1 impact ftw! If you don't have one, you can always use a rubber mallet to break the bolt free. Just take up the slack in the wrench, hold it tight, and give it a good whack or two on the end of the wrench.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

the best $50 i have ever spent:

Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"
Old 05-29-2015, 04:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
the best $50 i have ever spent:

Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"

I have one of those but only use it for certain things. I'm afraid my neighbors will complain if I use it to much lol.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I did my rear LCAs (and actually replaced the bushings in one of them recently) in the driveway. I drove the rear wheels onto ramps made from about 3 pieces of 2" x 10" and went to down. Having an 18" breaker bar and 24" ratcheting torque wrench were key.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Strange Mud and I upgraded my suspension including LCAs on jack stands. I think the key was that we had impact wrenches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:23 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other

I did mine in my garage with a few extra hands and had no problem. Just had it up on jack stands (rear only) while doing the rear and while I have air tools, I was able to crack the lca's off no prob. Arguably the easiest part of the entire day. Well maybe the jounce bump stops.

Here is a time lapse taken by Dieseven. Makes it really look easy!

http://youtu.be/4OcKz9n3gQE

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 PM   #20
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Maybe I just need to lose some weight. I'm not fat, but I am a big guy. Even with the axles on Jack stands I had to turn my head sideways to not hit the plate under the rear of the car.

Come to think of it, the jack stands must be the problem. If the tires are only 3" off the ground while the suspension is loaded then I'm really only getting 3" extra room to work with. Time to fork out $$$ for 23" stands. An extra 6" would make a world of difference (that sentence would do well on a T-shirt).

Sent from my #racecar

Old 05-30-2015, 04:00 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
An extra 6" would make a world of difference
That's what she said!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:03 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
I feel your pain brother. It can be done just be patient and know you're gonna bang knuckles. Not sure if anything from the install post I did on the BMR LCA would be helpful but... BMR LCA on V6 Review and Report
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:39 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

As I said before, I jacked mine up, in the rear only, put it on jack stands and used air tools. But, I also took off the rear wheels.......I did not have to crawl under the car at all.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #24
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

If a shop fee is to high to use a lift then I will wait until I put my Niche 20s on and do them at the same time.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
If a shop fee is to high to use a lift then I will wait until I put my Niche 20s on and do them at the same time.
Yeah, when you are changing out your rims I think you'll see that there is way better access to your lca's. And if you are going to put in the lca relocation bracket that is the time to do it.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
I can't see trying to do these with the wheels on. That would make it a PITA

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I did them twice in the driveway. Once by hand, just used a long box end wrench as a lengthening device for the ratchet. The other time with my dewalt 300 ft/lb electric impact. That broke everything free with no questions asked.

One thing that did help was to pop the bottom of the shocks from the axle and remove the springs, that solved the geometric bind that causes you to have to pry the axle back into alignment with the control arms. Two little bolts saved so much annoyance.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I did them in my crappy driveway with my dads crappy 20 year old jack. I used my foot to loosen the bolts. Hardest part was sliding the new LCA in. Had to use a second jack to force it in. I would take it to a shop if I had to do it again.

Sent from my Mustang.
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
If you lived in fl, i would tell you to come on by and we can do them here at my house lol
Old 05-30-2015, 06:05 PM   #30
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Jon, what part of Florida? I'll actually be in PCB the second half of June for a week.

Sent from my #racecar

Old 05-30-2015, 06:20 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
Daytona beach
Old 05-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
+1 impact ftw! If you don't have one, you can always use a rubber mallet to break the bolt free. Just take up the slack in the wrench, hold it tight, and give it a good whack or two on the end of the wrench.
And if it still doesn't come loose, use a heavy metal hammer in lieu of a rubber mallet.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:24 PM   #33
Kevin.Cook

I tried to do this tonight. Almost hurt my back getting under the car. So i will have a shop do this on Tuesday when they do my gears.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:28 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I tried to do this tonight. Almost hurt my back getting under the car. So i will have a shop do this on Tuesday when they do my gears.

Just make sure they don't over charge you for putting those in. Because if I can swap them out in a drive way in like 45 minutes with out air tools. Then they should be in and out in a few seconds in a shop lol!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang