Going turbo!!!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Going turbo!!!!

Well fellow mustang people! I have decided that I want to turbo my mustang! I'm not talking about the procharger sold on American Muscle, I'm talking about a fat turbo. I've looked online and can't find a turbo kit. So I'm going to get the piping and manfold custom made. Thoughts?
cristog1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The Procharger is a Supercharger. Good luck in finding a Turbocharger for your V6. Oh, be prepared to spend a lot of change.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Define fat turbo?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
What happened to the mpt bomber turbo kit???

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
There is a turbo kit for sale in the FS sections of this forum right now...
Old 05-30-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Someone on Cyclone mustangs facebook parts exchange is selling a twin turbo kit. It looks like a pretty nice kit he's selling. It would make a killer daily driver or road race car with that setup.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
2011-2014 Mustang v6 3.7 Turbo Kit.
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yeah the real selling point of that kit is airefires awesome review listed below the kit!! BUT that was then!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
LPF offers a good turbo

Sent from my XT1064 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would read through alrefire's thread BOSS227 before I bought the LPF kit. He had some issues out of it, and his thread is a pretty good read, so you will know what could possibly happen.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
What happened to the mpt bomber turbo kit???

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Blew up the car.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3600 View Post
I would read through alrefire's thread BOSS227 before I bought the LPF kit. He had some issues out of it, and his thread is a pretty good read, so you will know what could possibly happen.
Don't get it unless you want LPF to do EVERYTHING. You're better off fabricating your own. As a guy who installed this kit, it's pretty easy. Takes 8 hours, but I would do a V8 and boost because the market is there for it, OP
Old 06-01-2015, 12:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
from what i've seen stock 3.7's don't like turbos

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:29 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
from what i've seen stock 3.7's don't like turbos

Do a v8 mod. I am in a classic. Easier, quicker, and more badass. Just because it has the power of an older 3v, doesn't mean it handles power adder like it.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Interested in seeing how this plays out.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3600 View Post
And get an extra large bucket of popcorn before you do haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Do a v8 mod. I am in a classic. Easier, quicker, and more badass. Just because it has the power of an older 3v, doesn't mean it handles power adder like it.
Both the 3v and 3.7 have crappy pistons.
Try again troll :p

Old 06-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'll just port the lower & upper intakes and go shorty headers, stall converter ect.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I may be on a slightly off topic rant here, but i feel there's some things that need to be said.

The problem with boost is people always want more, hell, i personally am guilty of this. True story, when i had my first mazdaspeed3 (yes, ive had 2) i had basic bolt ons and really had no interest in even getting a downpipe because "spinning the tires is stupid, spinning aint winning." Which held true for ... maybe 2-3 months before i got beat and "ok well ... maybe a downpipe, but ill stay on pump gas, no E85." Again, 2-3 months later and im on E85 "but thats that." Until i got my FIRST big turbo ... and until i built the motor ... and until i was forced to run super sticky tires that last ~10k miles to actually have traction ... and until i put my SECOND bigger turbo on there ... and when it was all said and done i had spent an ungodly amount of money on my car and ruined it.

The best way i can think to describe how i Effed up was i mis-allocated how i used my car. I drove 95% of the time, just getting to and from where i needed to be, and i only raced the other maybe 5% of the time. What i had done though, was made my car a 5% car ... It was awesome, it was fast as hell, pulling 60-100 times in the high 3 seconds, but around town? Lol around town the thing had so much turbo lag it couldn't get out of its own way, my external wastegate fried 2 primary o2 sensors, i had a full stand along fuel system since you cant just swap out injectors on a DI car which was a pain to keep running properly ... things that could have easily not happened if i had shelled out the extra money up front, but like almost everyone else, i didn't, because "i can go boosted for only $xxx" lol ... no you cant. I tell people that now, whatever you think it will cost to go boosted, double it, and that's your real goal.

I regret nothing, but if i could go back and do it all again i would do it differently. I learned a ton, but i paid for it ... literally. All i can say is i see a lot of people in a rush to make their car a 5% car, but honestly i wouldn't. Ive even tuned quite a handful of people who come to me with a big turbo, big fuel system, lots of money, and we make good power on the Dyno, half these cars are over 450-500 whp, but after a few months, most of them just arent happy any more, because theres always one more part, or at the higher power levels this broke, or i cant drive my car until i can get better tires, or...... I will never come off the stock turbo again on a boosted car i own, because its just not worth it. If you want to have a boosted car for the sake of fun, i'd say the procharger may be the best bet since it will keep you a little more responsible than a turbo, but if you want to be out there "hurting feelings" like the LPF car, you're probably not going to have a good time, and going to get to the point where you just end up hating your car and wanting to sell it.

I understand its always your money and your decision, so take my rant for what its worth, but, if i can save at least one person a ton of money and headaches, id like to think some good came from this.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Wow volt wings thanks for the sound advice. Personally....I have flipped between just bolt ons and supercharger just for that reason...reliability. Don't hear a lot of complaints from the SC people.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:23 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I may be on a slightly off topic rant here, but i feel there's some things that need to be said.

The problem with boost is people always want more, hell, i personally am guilty of this. True story, when i had my first mazdaspeed3 (yes, ive had 2) i had basic bolt ons and really had no interest in even getting a downpipe because "spinning the tires is stupid, spinning aint winning." Which held true for ... maybe 2-3 months before i got beat and "ok well ... maybe a downpipe, but ill stay on pump gas, no E85." Again, 2-3 months later and im on E85 "but thats that." Until i got my FIRST big turbo ... and until i built the motor ... and until i was forced to run super sticky tires that last ~10k miles to actually have traction ... and until i put my SECOND bigger turbo on there ... and when it was all said and done i had spent an ungodly amount of money on my car and ruined it.

The best way i can think to describe how i Effed up was i mis-allocated how i used my car. I drove 95% of the time, just getting to and from where i needed to be, and i only raced the other maybe 5% of the time. What i had done though, was made my car a 5% car ... It was awesome, it was fast as hell, pulling 60-100 times in the high 3 seconds, but around town? Lol around town the thing had so much turbo lag it couldn't get out of its own way, my external wastegate fried 2 primary o2 sensors, i had a full stand along fuel system since you cant just swap out injectors on a DI car which was a pain to keep running properly ... things that could have easily not happened if i had shelled out the extra money up front, but like almost everyone else, i didn't, because "i can go boosted for only $xxx" lol ... no you cant. I tell people that now, whatever you think it will cost to go boosted, double it, and that's your real goal.

I regret nothing, but if i could go back and do it all again i would do it differently. I learned a ton, but i paid for it ... literally. All i can say is i see a lot of people in a rush to make their car a 5% car, but honestly i wouldn't. Ive even tuned quite a handful of people who come to me with a big turbo, big fuel system, lots of money, and we make good power on the Dyno, half these cars are over 450-500 whp, but after a few months, most of them just arent happy any more, because theres always one more part, or at the higher power levels this broke, or i cant drive my car until i can get better tires, or...... I will never come off the stock turbo again on a boosted car i own, because its just not worth it. If you want to have a boosted car for the sake of fun, i'd say the procharger may be the best bet since it will keep you a little more responsible than a turbo, but if you want to be out there "hurting feelings" like the LPF car, you're probably not going to have a good time, and going to get to the point where you just end up hating your car and wanting to sell it.

I understand its always your money and your decision, so take my rant for what its worth, but, if i can save at least one person a ton of money and headaches, id like to think some good came from this.

+1. I've learned this just by helping alrefire and being his friend on a daily basis. Always trying to convince/force me into extreme power adders.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
+1. I've learned this just by helping alrefire and being his friend on a daily basis. Always trying to convince/force me into extreme power adders.
Let's start with getting you to take the car above 4k :p

Old 06-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
#BoostorBust
But really, what's the difference between a fat turbo and a skinny turbo? What about an athletically built turbo?
Old 06-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
#BoostorBust
But really, what's the difference between a fat turbo and a skinny turbo? What about an athletically built turbo?
Athletically built = properly sized turbo

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang