Seat Belt squeaking/bar not locking? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Seat Belt squeaking/bar not locking?

I don't know if the belts are the same for all of the years/models, so will start off saying this is a 2013 Premium. So I have had this problem for a while, but I have just ignored it because it was on my passenger side and it only matters when someone is sitting there. Has anyone had a problem with the seat belt mechanism thing (technical term), where it attaches to the pillar, making a squeaking noise when in use? It seems to happen when the person moves any amount with the belt on.

Also, the little bar (no clue what it is called) that is supposed to make the seat belt more accessible to the passenger does not lock into place like on the driver's side. I pulled the cover off and the bolt is as tight as it will go, but when I wiggle the seat belt, there is definitely far more play in the pillar anchor thing than on the driver's side. Anyone experienced anything like this/have any ideas (or know what the parts are actually called so I can look into replacing them)?

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Mine works exactly like the drivers side. It sounds like the part is probably messed up. I'd take it in and have the dealer look at it. I'm sure they would replace it, assuming your under 36k

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
That little piece is called the presenter arm. Both of mine failed just like yours. The dealer hand to replace both seat belt retractor mechanisms, as the arm is not available separately, scratching my interior in the process. I think those arms are just flimsy and prone to breakage.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I may be wrong but I was told one time

Seat Belts and air Bags as well as the computer are under warranty for eight years no matter how many miles on a car. (ANY CAR)
It is worth checking out with your dealer.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was worried about. I have zero faith in my local dealership. I'm only at 18,000 miles so the warranty shouldn't be a problem. Might be worth it to drive a bit out of the way to find one that people online say is okay. My experience with the ones around me have been pretty disappointing. Not to mention finding time to do this. Thanks all.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
I don't know if the belts are the same for all of the years/models, so will start off saying this is a 2013 Premium. So I have had this problem for a while, but I have just ignored it because it was on my passenger side and it only matters when someone is sitting there. Has anyone had a problem with the seat belt mechanism thing (technical term), where it attaches to the pillar, making a squeaking noise when in use? It seems to happen when the person moves any amount with the belt on.

Also, the little bar (no clue what it is called) that is supposed to make the seat belt more accessible to the passenger does not lock into place like on the driver's side. I pulled the cover off and the bolt is as tight as it will go, but when I wiggle the seat belt, there is definitely far more play in the pillar anchor thing than on the driver's side. Anyone experienced anything like this/have any ideas (or know what the parts are actually called so I can look into replacing them)?

Thanks.
\

I thought i was the only one with the squeaking seat belt here! It gets so annoying and does it mostly when its cold outside.

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Took it in this morning (had to wake up four hours early, so this'll be a fun day at work) and they looked at it and said they'd have to order the entire seat belt assembly (as expected), which should arrive in a few business days. They also did a PCM update (emissions recall I never got done) and the airbag update for the Takata recall thing going on (they just happened to have the parts in, they got them in yesterday, apparently).

Glad I restored my tune to the default before I brought it in, that would have been fun dealing with otherwise.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
the reflashing has burned more than one person. either go back to stock or a NO-reflash cover/sticker.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
the reflashing has burned more than one person. either go back to stock or a NO-reflash cover/sticker.
Yeah, if I hadn't remembered to do it, they at least mentioned they were going to perform the work so I could have told them not to until next time. Luckily my shift calibration didn't change so I could just reflash my tune once the were done.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The Problem is this

If they have to reflash because of an """EMISSIONS UPDATE"" there is "NO" doing it the next time. By Federal law they have to do it """NOW"" while the car is there.
You did the right thing by putting the stock tune in before going to your dealer for anything. It is just a no brainier that some people just won't ever get it.
99% of all dealers can't give a crap about if your car is tuned or not. They just don't want the crap people give out when they reflash and ruin a tune and get complaints up the )YOU KNOW)
almost all of the time they will check the Vin and see if a computer update is warranted. Then they just do it. They don't need to ask you if you want it done.

There has to be someone that works at a dealership (ANY BRAND) that can shed a light on this.

Most don't check or even ask if your car has been tuned, They just do it.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang