what can you tell me about auto trans - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

Region: Missouri
what can you tell me about auto trans

Went out in garage checking fluids on Mustang and HEY Where the hell is the trans dipstick? Oh yea I forgot they don't want you to maintain your car. So can you tell me what kind it is and any other info for the care of it. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #2
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve63 View Post
Went out in garage checking fluids on Mustang and HEY Where the hell is the trans dipstick? Oh yea I forgot they don't want you to maintain your car. So can you tell me what kind it is and any other info for the care of it. THANKS

It's a sealed transmission. No dipstick and no fill hole.

Don't worry about it until 100,000 miles.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
It's not up by the firewall on the passenger side? That's typically where you find them. I have a manual otherwise I'd know exactly. Take a picture of your engine bay

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
It's a sealed transmission. No dipstick and no fill hole.

Don't worry about it until 100,000 miles.

Wow they sealed them huh? Well there is your answer.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, and it's maintenance interval is 150,000, not 100,000. My bad.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
There's a tiny dipstick on the fill plug on the transmission itself.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
what can you tell me about auto trans

It's a 6r-80 transmission. 6 speeds. 4th is the 1:1 gear and has 2 overdrives, (5,6) it holds 12 quarts of the mecron or ford IV fluid and can't be serviced by you, only a dealer. If you're over 100,000 miles like me, they won't flush it. They just drop the pan and change the filter. It's best to go ahead and flush it so none of the valve bodies get clogged and messes up on you later in the road.

And yes the check stick is on the passenger side and needs a big wrench to break it loose right by the bell housing under the car.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:18 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
It's a 6r-80 transmission. 6 speeds. 4th is the 1:1 gear and has 2 overdrives, (5,6) it holds 12 quarts of the mecron of ford V fluid and can't be serviced by you, only a dealer. If you're over 100,000 miles like me, they won't flush it. They just drop the pan and change the filter. It's best to go ahead and flush it so none of the valve bodies get clogged and messes up on you later in the road.

And yes the check stick is on the passenger side and needs a big wrench to break it loose right by the bell housing under the car.
When do you get it flushed if you have less than 100K miles? I have 16K on mine. BTW, thanks for all the great info
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

A lot of old school guys will flush theirs every 60,000.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:21 AM   #10
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I don't care what the manufacture says about changing the fluid I would flush it between 50 and 60K miles. Spending a $100 or $200 to have it flushed is a lot cheaper than a rebuild and the first flush is probably the most important. I always figured that if I changed it at 60K miles it would be the only one I would have to do as I usually replace a car before 120K miles.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Great, thanks for the tip guys, really appreciate.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 05-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
When do you get it flushed if you have less than 100K miles? I have 16K on mine. BTW, thanks for all the great info

Roughly 30,000 miles. And you can keep doing that wel past 100,000. But if it's never been done past 100k, they will only drop the pan (4quarts) and a new filter
Old 05-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #13

Region: Missouri
Thanks for all the input I will get to use my Pro Park 7 for fluid and filters.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I will have mine flused at 70k miles

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
there's a dipstick on the top of the tranny... the only way to fill it with fluid is too pump it in..

to drain it you need to drop the pan. it uses motorcraft mercon lv and it holds 12quarts of fluid.. each quart cost about $11 each.. i just serviced mine when i did the convertor install.

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:21 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
This may be a noob question, but why does the auto take 12 quarts and the manual mt82 takes 2.7 quarts?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:39 AM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Manuals are smaller for one
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:03 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
This may be a noob question, but why does the auto take 12 quarts and the manual mt82 takes 2.7 quarts?

An automatic transmission has a torque converter to act as a clutch of sorts. This torque converter holds about 4 to 5 quarts of fluid on its own, and the newer ones do not have a drain plug (used to be able to remove the bell housing cover to access it for complete automatic transmission fluid changing), which is why a simple automatic transmission pan and filter change does not get all the fluid; only about 4 to 5 quarts worth.

Todays transmission shops use a low pressure flush system (and the rumors of them disloging any material and causing a transmission to fail is false) to remove all fluid and replace it with new. With full synthetics being used in automatic transmissions, some manufacturers will state "lifetime fill", but the transmission fluid should still use an "old school maintenance", flushing about every 30 to 50K, depending on how hard you are on the automatic transmission. This maintenance schedule can help you get well over 150 to 200K of trouble free automatic transmission service.

If you track the car, or tow with it, consider full fluid replacements every 30K.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Motul makes a great auto trans synthetic fluid and Redline is good too.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
Motul makes a great auto trans synthetic fluid and Redline is good too.
As is the fully synthetic automatic transmission fluid that FoMoCo provides.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I am the original owner of a 1997 3.8 grand prix I FLUSH fluid and change filter ever 60,000 miles at 325,000 miles I still have the original trans
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan541 View Post
I am the original owner of a 1997 3.8 grand prix I FLUSH fluid and change filter ever 60,000 miles at 325,000 miles I still have the original trans
Holy cow. That's awesome. I'll do mine at 60k miles too a transmission flush. Seems to be the way to go for a long lasting transmission

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Holy cow. That's awesome. I'll do mine at 60k miles too a transmission flush. Seems to be the way to go for a long lasting transmission

Have a great day!

I may be a bit prejudiced but my Dad was the greatest mechanic I ever knew (R.I.P. daddy) he taught me a lot of things about making a car last. That was just one of them, another drain all the power steering fluid from your car and refill it every 20-30,000 miles, yep still have the original pump. He taught me anything with fluid or grease will usually break down because the fluid or grease breaks down, change them regular, it's a pain to do but less painful then replacing a rack, or trans or rear. (Dad passed on in Sept. but I figure if I pass on his advice when I can he is still alive in small sort of small way and meeting new people).
Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan541 View Post
I may be a bit prejudiced but my Dad was the greatest mechanic I ever knew (R.I.P. daddy) he taught me a lot of things about making a car last. That was just one of them, another drain all the power steering fluid from your car and refill it every 20-30,000 miles, yep still have the original pump. He taught me anything with fluid or grease will usually break down because the fluid or grease breaks down, change them regular, it's a pain to do but less painful then replacing a rack, or trans or rear. (Dad passed on in Sept. but I figure if I pass on his advice when I can he is still alive in small sort of small way and meeting new people).
Thank you so much for the great info, and BTW, you're a great son
Old 06-07-2015, 10:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for saying that Dawg, ya know if you guys want from time to time as I remember his tips I can post them. He was also great at carpentry, electrical you name it. He was after me to buy a new car for 3 years, he died oct I bought the 'stang in dec wish could see it and the plans I have for it.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:07 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I had my local Ford dealer flush mine and change the screen filter at 20,000 miles a few months ago. Right at $200, i know it didn't need it but i 'overkill' my fluid changes.
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I had my local Ford dealer flush mine and change the screen filter at 20,000 miles a few months ago. Right at $200, i know it didn't need it but i 'overkill' my fluid changes.

thats not bad... it cost me $160 to do it myselft... but i also put a new tranny pan gasket on...

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
This info is from a friend of mine who was a ford mechanic for 40 years.

He always recommends after 7000 miles to flush any transmission. Manual or auto. Reason being

When you break in your motor and trans there's metal shavings cause from components wearing into themselves. Yes there is a magnet in the pan but it's just best to get the shaving out and have less risk of damage to the transmission.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post

No no you absolutely benefitted from this. Extends the life of your tranny if maintained properly.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
thats not bad... it cost me $160 to do it myselft... but i also put a new tranny pan gasket on...

I thought it was a good price too, being it was done by a Ford dealer
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
No no you absolutely benefitted from this. Extends the life of your tranny if maintained properly.

I mostly wanted to get all the breakin crap out of the transmission. He told me the next time the fluid is changed, they won't have to replace the screen filter. They will just do a fluid flush.
It took me 5 years to get 20,000 miles, i don't know if i'll still have my Mustang by the time the fluid needs to be flushed again or not

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang