Mt82 transmission issues/resolutions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mt82 transmission issues/resolutions

Hi everyone,
Figured I'd create this post so that it can be informative to others experiencing the same issues and what things were done to resolve these issues. I tried doing research online but there are no clear answers.

My biggest gripe even after an aftermarket bracket, after 10 k miles and a long trip I noticed extreme difficulty trying to shift either into first or second gears.

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 07:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You using the oem fluid?

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
You using the oem fluid?

Sent from LG G3.

Yes sir. What do you recommend?

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 07:50 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Your welcome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1433119821842.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	183850  
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Yes sir. What do you recommend?

I had a similar issue, pretty notchy going into first and sometimes second. 2 years ago I went from the OEM fluid to Royal Purple, its been silky smooth ever since. It might help you out.
But in the cold weather it will still get notchy, but she gets stored so no problems here. Just those cold November mornings can be pretty notchy for 15-20 minutes.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Why is my movement towards 1-2 gears shorter than movement to 5-6 gears while in neutral?

Old 05-31-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe because our transmission are made in China and not in North America.......

Sent from LG G3.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

After multiple MT-82 trannys, getting locked out, etc.. 55K miles on the car. I just now got a spec2 clutch and steel flywheel and oh my gosh, it shifts with no problem at all at 7K RPMs

Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
After multiple MT-82 trannys, getting locked out, etc.. 55K miles on the car. I just now got a spec2 clutch and steel flywheel and oh my gosh, it shifts with no problem at all at 7K RPMs

How much and where did u purchase from? Re tune required?

Old 05-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How much and where did u purchase from? Re tune required?

AM, they sent me the wrong fkin driveshaft it was built improperly or something.. Even had a return notice in the box when I got it.. 2nd return in just a few months smh. No tune required!

Old 05-31-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laquisha View Post
AM, they sent me the wrong fkin driveshaft it was built improperly or something.. Even had a return notice in the box when I got it.. 2nd return in just a few months smh. No tune required!

So flywheel and new clutch? Is that what causes stuff shifting? I thought it was other components

Old 06-01-2015, 12:33 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I had a similar issue with my MT82. 2nd gear lockout at high rpms. Also seems extremely notchy with 1st and 2nd at times. I've come to the conclusion that this transmission doesn't like speed shifts from 1-2, but all other gears seemed to be fine. I installed a stainless steel clutch line, barton short throw, steeda bracket, and whiteline trans bushing. I was still having issues from time to time, so I changed out the steeda bracket and got the Barton 2post bracket because the design is superior compared to all other brackets, and it pretty much solved the high rpm lockouts. I haven't gotten locked out since I've installed that 2post bracket.

As mentioned above, changing the fluid out will supposedly work wonders as well. I recently bought some Royal Purple Synchromax and will be switching from the stock fluid shortly.

Before you drop a thousand dollars on a decent clutch/flywheel, make sure your problem isn't the shifter itself.

Like I said, I haven't had any difficulty with switching gears at ANY rpms ever since the 2post bracket and the supporting mods.

Which bracket are you running?

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So flywheel and new clutch? Is that what causes stuff shifting? I thought it was other components

Worked for me(: I shift perfect now look at my IG- TrevorsGT for videos

Old 06-01-2015, 08:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have a thread in this section dedicated to the shifting issue. It contains a video highlighting the massive driveline lash of this car. It is named The factory motor mounts are terrible.

A shifter will never solve this issue, and is just expensive, and heavy bling.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
A shifter will never solve this issue, and is just expensive, and heavy bling.
Solved it for me with the 2post bracket.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Weird thing I took it to mechanic to look at and they drove it and said it was fine. The "stiffness" towards 1-2 gear was gone but after an hour of driving it came back ugh!!!

Old 06-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Until you put some good tires on it.

Then it will be back, and in greater numbers than before...

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
I have to agree, my bracket worked wonders for me also! Thumbs

Sent from LG G3.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Weird thing I took it to mechanic to look at and they drove it and said it was fine. The "stiffness" towards 1-2 gear was gone but after an hour of driving it came back ugh!!!

Idk, maybe try a fluid sway/flush?

Sent from LG G3.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
Until you put some good tires on it.

Then it will be back, and in greater numbers than before...

Curious, what would tires have to do with high rpm shifting?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang