Diff Fluid Change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Diff Fluid Change

This might be a silly question but, how I change my diff fluid? I have a Ford Racing diff cover with the drain plugs. How do you get the bottle in the area to fill it? It seems like a tight fit...the bottles are pretty tall.

Also what weight and how much fluid do I need?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
1. If you remove the sway bar mid links from the body, and unbolt the shock from the axle it can drop pretty far down.

2. A good fluid transfer pump

3. a good trans jack and you can have the whole axle out of the car in ~ 1 hour lol ...

When we did the axle swap i just went ahead and changed the fluid at that time, so i had the axle out of the car. There is a "site plug" of sorts, that you should open on the front of the axle when adding fluid. Basically, you should add fluid up until the point it will be / is leaking from that hole - its only about 1/2 the diff. I believe i used right about 2 quarts of 75w90? The factory fill on most cars is like a 75w140, but since we were racing, i figured id use something a little different and just change it more frequently. Despite the fact that all cars 11-14 had the 8.8 rear, there were like 3 different factory fill weights, so it may be worth checking on that real quick.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You can use a transfer pump or put a line on the bottle and squeeze the oil into the axle as that cover has a drain plug and a fill plug.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

This seems like a pain. Thanks for the info though. Ill check into the pump idea. I don't want to take apart a whole bunch of stuff to do this.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Less than 10 bucks will get you a pump that screws onto the slim differental oil bottles, and you then easily pump it into the inlet hole with their provided plastic tubes; the Ford Racing cover made this easier for you.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Less than 10 bucks will get you a pump that screws onto the slim differental oil bottles, and you then easily pump it into the inlet hole with their provided plastic tubes; the Ford Racing cover made this easier for you.
Oh really that cheap?? Cool. Is this a Pep Boys or Auto Zone thing?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Oh really that cheap?? Cool. Is this a Pep Boys or Auto Zone thing?
Yep. There's a cheap 5 dollar one that screws onto just a gallon size, or a 9 dollar one that screws onto the pint and gallon ones. Get the 9 dollar one.

I did this many times (changed the differential fluid) in my 2011 at the local private airport in between track events. I could drain and fill the rear diff in about 20 minutes. Loved that Racing differential cover!

You may also want to consider installing the Ford differential fix for the fluid bleeding out of the cheap vent they installed on the drivers side axle tube; if you are hard on the rear end, the diff fluid has a tendency to blow out of that silly cap breather; the fix is to either install a fitting and tube that runs further upward (tie wrapped) to the frame), or their "turkey baster" type breather. There's a TSB out on it.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Yep. There's a cheap 5 dollar one that screws onto just a gallon size, or a 9 dollar one that screws onto the pint and gallon ones. Get the 9 dollar one.

I did this many times (changed the differential fluid) in my 2011 at the local private airport in between track events. I could drain and fill the rear diff in about 20 minutes. Loved that Racing differential cover!

You may also want to consider installing the Ford differential fix for the fluid bleeding out of the cheap vent they installed on the drivers side axle tube; if you are hard on the rear end, the diff fluid has a tendency to blow out of that silly cap breather; the fix is to either install a fitting and tube that runs further upward (tie wrapped) to the frame), or their "turkey baster" type breather. There's a TSB out on it.
Thanks for this info. I don't tend to be too hard on my car but Ill still look into this.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

Great to know! I was wondering why I had that crap all over the drivers side axle only. Thanks for the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Just hand mine replaced last week under warranty.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Does everyone agree with the 75W140?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

That's what i ordered with my gear swap and I read somewhere that's what others used in other forums. So that's what I am going to stay with since I don't track or anything.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:12 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Re: fill hole, fill to the top of the hole on the diff housing, NOT the upper one on the Ford Racing cover. The fill hole on the cover is too high so if you fill to the bottom of it, you will be overfilling your diff!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Re: fill hole, fill to the top of the hole on the diff housing, NOT the upper one on the Ford Racing cover. The fill hole on the cover is too high so if you fill to the bottom of it, you will be overfilling your diff!
Not sure what you mean...
Old 06-02-2015, 12:58 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The FRPP cover has a fill hole and a drain hole. The cast iron differential housing has a fill hole on the top driver's side. The fill hole on the cover is at a higher level than the fill hole on the housing, so if you use the fill hole on the cover and put in oil until it reaches the bottom of the hole, you will have overfilled the differential with oil, making it more likely that the rattle vent or even the pinion seal might leak.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang