CAI - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Can someone describe what yall mean by baseline?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ryan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Dyno the car bone stock as it comes from Ford. That is your "baseline" and any mods you do after that you can dyno again and say "i made 'X' horsepower over stock."
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Ahhhh! I gotcha! Sorta just to see your progress!👌🏼

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ryan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Should I go cai and Tb first or do exhaust? And by exhaust I mean probably borla ataks

2013 mustang v6 premium
Gumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
Well for me tb will be one of the last things, I did CAI and Tune first, and now I am doing exhaust, but feel free to do it however you like.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Tune
gears
Cat deletes
Intake
Throttle body
weight reduction
tires
???
Mufflers

In order of best performance gains.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #42
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
CAI

The reason you put an intake or mufflers on this car is for sound/eye candy. And in that case, I'd have to go with mufflers before CAI. You'll see them and hear them more often than CAI. Neither is much in the way of performance.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #43
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
The reason you put an intake or mufflers on this car is for sound/eye candy. And in that case, I'd have to go with mufflers before CAI. You'll see them and hear them more often than CAI. Neither is much in the way of performance.

Well, the only potential there is for a CAI to do ANYTHING performance wise, is to get the Steeda one since it is larger. By itself it won't do alot. But coupled with a tune (needed), 73 MM TB, and Headers, I believe you could at least free up pony or two from it. Unfortunately, no one has provided hard numbers for this. But the assumption that opening the airway and tuning the car to utilize this bigger airway, should make for slightly more power then a normal stock setup.

Just like the any other mod, it is just a piece to the overall puzzle.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #44
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Tune
gears
Cat deletes
Intake
Throttle body
weight reduction
tires
???
Mufflers

In order of best performance gains.
I'll disagree with cat removal for a few reasons. One against federal law to tamper or remove them, and operate the vehicle on the street. While your state may not have a visual or sniff test, Federal laws supersede any state laws. Second, you cannot legally sell the car privately or trade it in without them. Even the "as is" clause will not protect you. If you sell it or trade it (a dealer makes you sign a document that states you agreed that you did not tamper with any Federally mandated equipment), they can come back to you and require you to put them back on.

And third, there's not any real huge gains with removing today's cats; they flow very well, and its not worth the potential fines.

That said, it would not matter what order you do, but the outcome is best when the three major (tune, exhaust, and questionable CAI) are done.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #45
Kevin.Cook

The pain point with mods is there is a lot of debate on what does what when it comes to the little things. The BEST advice, is to mod it to your tastes. Because you could be wanting a specific look or sound, and everyone is going to make you see their opinion/setup. But you should read read read reviews. And watch all the videos you can find on Mustangs with Intakes and Exhausts. Then make your purchase when your mind is settled.

Alot of this is learning as you go. I have had a few Mustangs and my choices from then and now have been better. But there will always be room for improvement.

Just remember to stay safe and legal if this is your Daily Driver. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I'll disagree with cat removal for a few reasons. One against federal law to tamper or remove them, and operate the vehicle on the street. While your state may not have a visual or sniff test, Federal laws supersede any state laws. Second, you cannot legally sell the car privately or trade it in without them. Even the "as is" clause will not protect you. If you sell it or trade it (a dealer makes you sign a document that states you agreed that you did not tamper with any Federally mandated equipment), they can come back to you and require you to put them back on.

And third, there's not any real huge gains with removing today's cats; they flow very well, and its not worth the potential fines.

That said, it would not matter what order you do, but the outcome is best when the three major (tune, exhaust, and questionable CAI) are done.
Read the "fine print" of my comment. Those are just the best bang for the buck, in order, in my opinion. Removing the cats may not be worth much, but its worth less than those above it, and more than those below it is all.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #47
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Read the "fine print" of my comment. Those are just the best bang for the buck, in order, in my opinion. Removing the cats may not be worth much, but its worth less than those above it, and more than those below it is all.

I hear ya. Seems without going FI or spray, the hp to $$ roi gets slimmer and slimmer as I keep modding. lol
Old 06-03-2015, 05:01 AM   #48
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
My post was not intended to "target" anyones opinion as to how they mod, or what is a good mod option or order, but rather to warn anyone that wants to go the route of removing their catalitic converters.

My son did this on his Subaru WRX STI; he sold the car privately with an "as is" clause in the bill of sale. Two weeks later, he got served papers staing he had to either install the cats, buy back the car, or pay a hefty fine. He bought it back (he had remorse for selling anyhow).

My suggestion would be to save the cats if they are removed, and re-install them when it comes time to sell or trade in.

If you trade it in with them removed, or have tampered with any other federally mandated equipment, don't sign the paper the dealer presents you with that states you did not remove or tamper with any federally mandated equipment; it will null your deal of course if you don't sign, but save you later in the way of fines or legal issues by that dealer. They too cannot legally sell a vehicle with any of that equipment that has been removed or tampered with.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
OP, I have an Airraid CAI and love it. No regrets and love how the engine sounds when WOT and love the way it looks. Did the CAI give me any power performance gains? I have not a clue and don't care. I bought thinking it may give me power gains but its the sound and look of it that's where its at for me.

This is no different than buying axle backs which we all do. They provide no power gains but they sound better over factory axle backs and the tips look way nicer.

My opinion is that the CAI is worth the money. 😆👍 I like putting my pony in shows and the open CAI is eye candy and that's what I like.

Have a great day!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai