CAI - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
CAI

What's the difference between oiled and non-oiled cold air intake filters?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Gumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

With oiled ones, when cleaning you have to clean them with a particular chemical/oil.

With dry filters, you can just wash them out with water and dry them.

IF you do get a CAI kit, get the Steeda one. Don't go Airaid like me. I would go Steeda if I could.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

What's the difference between airaid and steeda?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Airaid tubing is same size as stock. The Steeda one is slightly larger. When couple with the 73 MM TB, you have a small chance for gains. Vs going stock size.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
With Steeda you have to use a tuner.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
With Steeda you have to use a tuner.
This is true also. Forgot to mention it.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So would you go with airaid or hold off and buy the steeda CAI and tuner together

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Ryan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Steeda and tuner is a good start for most beginner mod people. I am sure Alex or Will from AM would agree.

Some people would say CAIs are a waste. But the only half decent one is the Steeda. Once you do get those, my next steps would be TB and headers. To help all that air move through better.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Airaid has a removable insert so that you can use it without a tune. If you decide to get a tune, you simply remove the insert to open up the diameter of the intake. Nice feature.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Does airaid only make one CAI for the v6 '14 mustang? Just so I don't get the wrong one

Old 06-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Airaid has a removable insert so that you can use it without a tune. If you decide to get a tune, you simply remove the insert to open up the diameter of the intake. Nice feature.
What are you referring to? The plug on the side of the intake? You plug it for manual transmissions. For autos, they have an extra hose that hooks to it. If this is what you are referring to and you have a manual, i hope you are leaving it plugged. :O

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan2011 View Post
Does airaid only make one CAI for the v6 '14 mustang? Just so I don't get the wrong one

Yea. Only difference is oiled filter or dry. I went with dry. Less headache imo.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Do you still have to replace dry filters or just wash them or what?

Old 06-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
What are you referring to? The plug on the side of the intake? You plug it for manual transmissions. For autos, they have an extra hose that hooks to it. If this is what you are referring to and you have a manual, i hope you are leaving it plugged. :O[COLOR="Silver"]
I have a GT so if they don't make this option available for the V6, I apologize. It is called a modular venturi and allows the use of the CAI with or without a tune.

Airaid Mustang Cold Air Intake System 450-264 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Old 06-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Do you still have to replace dry filters or just wash them or what?

With the dry ones you just wash them out, then dry them, then reinstall. Don't reinstall and use a wet filter XD
Old 06-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

No hp gains that way!!😂😂

Old 06-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I just looked at the AM web site and sure enough, it is only available for the GT. Sorry for the mis-information.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

How much hp can I expect out of a tune?

Old 06-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

What do you think about bbk cai?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 06-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not too too familiar with BBK but they seem like a good brand I know they are worthy of a good throttle body though!!

Old 06-02-2015, 12:29 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Just a quick question guys but what else will the CAI do other than sound?

Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:38 AM   #21
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm_3.7 View Post
Just a quick question guys but what else will the CAI do other than sound?

If you do a little research on here you'll find that we've come to the conclusion that a CAI does little more than add sound and look good under the hood.

No real performance gains to be had.

Ford actually did a really good job with the factory cold air intake.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:42 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
If you do a little research on here you'll find that we've come to the conclusion that a CAI does little more than add sound and look good under the hood.

No real performance gains to be had.

Ford actually did a really good job with the factory cold air intake.

I've read the other threads about it but I was curious how an item that costs that much not do anything for the car other than the sound. I guess not to always trust the specs on the website of sellers 😅

Old 06-02-2015, 12:54 AM   #23
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm_3.7 View Post
I've read the other threads about it but I was curious how an item that costs that much not do anything for the car other than the sound. I guess not to always trust the specs on the website of sellers 😅

Yeah, I've got to get into the CAI business....bend a plastic tube and throw a filter on the end and charge $300. Lol.

It worked on cars of the past, but more and more manufacturers have been making this a factory item.

The stock intake is definitely not the prettiest thing in the world, but those lumps on it serve a purpose. They're called Helmholtz resonators and they actually improve volumetric efficiency.

Also, the stock intake draws air from a cooler source than any aftermarket intake I've seen. It's more functional than anything else out there unless you're doing a whole lot of other mods.

Plus, keep in mind that the 5.0 is using the same exact filter. So if it's big enough to support 410+ HP V8s, it's definitely enough for our 305 HP six bangers.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:43 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Yeah, I've got to get into the CAI business....bend a plastic tube and throw a filter on the end and charge $300. Lol.

It worked on cars of the past, but more and more manufacturers have been making this a factory item.

The stock intake is definitely not the prettiest thing in the world, but those lumps on it serve a purpose. They're called Helmholtz resonators and they actually improve volumetric efficiency.

Also, the stock intake draws air from a cooler source than any aftermarket intake I've seen. It's more functional than anything else out there unless you're doing a whole lot of other mods.

Plus, keep in mind that the 5.0 is using the same exact filter. So if it's big enough to support 410+ HP V8s, it's definitely enough for our 305 HP six bangers.

I'm learning new things everyday about my car haha. You can't beat the sound of the CAI tho it just sounds so much better with it.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:40 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Just about every modern vehicle made today comes stock from the factory with a "Cold Air Intake (CAI)". If you look at your Mustang, the air filters snorkle will grab cool air from the front grill area of the car, run it through the tube, and into the throttle body. On the Mustang, it flows plenty of cool air, and even works well left alone with many tunes offered for good performance gains. This defines a "Cold Air Intake".

So why to folks replace them with an aftermarket one? For looks, and for sound mostly. The stock CAI is not as cosmetically pretty as an aftermarket CAI. The aftermarket CAI will have a massive looking cone filter, and many think this has to flow more air, due to advertising hype. The truth is that the stock air box flows just as well as most aftermarket CAI's being sold today. Second reason for aftermarket CAI's is the sound. Most stock CAI's have a bladder (sound deadning) on the side of the air tube used to do two things: kill the "roar" you hear whenever you press the right pedal down, and to make the air within the tube flow smoother. When folks buy an aftermarket CAI, the first thing they notice when they stomp on the right pedal is to hear the roar; they instantly believe that the new CAI they just installed is providing more power; in most cases it is not, but it sounds good.

So, most CAI's are designed to look great, and provide a nice sound. If you plan to run tunes in your car, and you want a CAI, then buy one that will flow more air than the stock CAI you already have. With a stock tune, you can only flow in so much air, so the stock OEM CAI you have works fine. A tune alters the mapping of air to fuel, so if more fuel is provided, more air flow, and at a quicker rate is required, and the aftermarket CAI's that require a tune to do this are a good way to go. Of course a good flowing exhaust is also benificial in getting the burnt gases out. An engine is much like an air pump; air in, air out. Want it to work better? Get more air in, but you have to get the air out as well to make it all work better.

One last note; a lot of the aftermarket CAI's sold have an open filter with a 3/4 surrounding that is supposed to seal against the hood when its shut. IMO, I'd avoid these for performance issues, as they really do not seal that well, and will allow that filter to suck in warm engine heat, rather then the cooler air from the front of the car. Again, it may look nice when the hood is opened, but performance wise, does nothing. You're better off keeping the stock setup and spending the money on a tuner, which will reward you with a much better bang for the buck..

Unless you are after looks instead of performance.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:28 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Slight hp increase, more so if you increase the size of the intake pipe, meaning more air going to the engine but doing that will require a tune just a regular CAI will no

Old 06-02-2015, 05:33 AM   #27
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

CAI

Quote:
Slight hp increase, more so if you increase the size of the intake pipe, meaning more air going to the engine but doing that will require a tune just a regular CAI will no

Pretty much any gains you see from a CAI & tuner combo will be solely from the tune and not the CAI.

Like I said, the stock intake has the ability to flow more than enough air for the 3.7. You'd have to make a decent bit more modifications elsewhere before you'd see gains from bigger tubing.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
Well with my Airraid Cai and my tune I gained about 17rwhp, the 3.7l stock is around 305 which should be around 252 for my 14 auto, my car dynoed at 269.5 after the upgrade, all the rest of my exhaust is stock. So apparently it did somthing, because I don't see you gaining 17rwhp with just a tune alone. I am also about to swap out my Airraid for a Steeda, whenever I get my intake ported, and switch to the GT throttle body, after I get my new exhaust installed.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3600 View Post
Well with my Airraid Cai and my tune I gained about 17rwhp, the 3.7l stock is around 305 which should be around 252 for my 14 auto, my car dynoed at 269.5 after the upgrade, all the rest of my exhaust is stock. So apparently it did somthing, because I don't see you gaining 17rwhp with just a tune alone. I am also about to swap out my Airraid for a Steeda, whenever I get my intake ported, and switch to the GT throttle body, after I get my new exhaust installed.
This is still a quesstimate.
There hasn't really been any good independent testing of before and after, with and without CAI, and with and without a tune without a CAI.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

I still don't believe a tune by it's self is going to give you that large of a gain, either way.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #31
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did you do a baseline run stock? Or are you just guessing on the gain?
Old 06-02-2015, 07:01 AM   #32
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I still don't believe a tune by it's self is going to give you that large of a gain, either way.

You may not believe it, but you can.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

No, I did not run a base, but considering the drivetrain loss the number should have been more or less between 250-257, I personally normally use a rwhp-crankhp calc to help figure out a ballpark figure. Unfortunately I did not have the extra money to do both, at the time, so I just ran it after the upgrade.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, I did not run a base, but considering the drivetrain loss the number should have been more or less between 250-257, I personally normally use a rwhp-crankhp calc to help figure out a ballpark figure. Unfortunately I did not have the extra money to do both, at the time, so I just ran it after the upgrade.
For the sake of argument, at the 305 power level, 1-2% difference in "calculations" can be as much as 7-10 whp, which means your tune + CAI could have only added ~10 whp or so. Again though, we're all just shooting from the hip here.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

That is indeed true, I do wish I would have done a baseline, not just for this discussion, but just so I knew where I started from.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai