Sport Mode - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Sport Mode

Finally tried out the sport mode or SelectShift or whatever everyone calls it. I have had my car 2 years now and for whatever reason finally decided to try it out today. I though it's pretty cool to have this option for an automatic. I know it's not quite the same as a manual but still pretty neat. I like how it really won't let you mess up anything while shifting and how it also will downshift automatically when coming to a red light and start you right back in 1st gear. I love that I'm still learning new things and trying new things out even after having my car for 2 years now. Just thought I would share my experience with everyone.
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

I really like this too. In my old 08 Auto Stang, I never had any options. Now with my 2014, if I hit heavy traffic, I can put it in Auto mode and rest my leg. And when I am on the open road, I can put it in Sport mode and tear through the RPMs and shift when I want to. No clutch, but still, better then nothing I suppose.

Plus on long drives, I use Sport Mode. Gives me something to keep my mind on instead of putting it on Auto and falling asleep. LOL
Old 06-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I really like this too. In my old 08 Auto Stang, I never had any options. Now with my 2014, if I hit heavy traffic, I can put it in Auto mode and rest my leg. And when I am on the open road, I can put it in Sport mode and tear through the RPMs and shift when I want to. No clutch, but still, better then nothing I suppose.

Plus on long drives, I use Sport Mode. Gives me something to keep my mind on instead of putting it on Auto and falling asleep. LOL

Lol, very true. Falling asleep is never a good option. I usually just turn my radio louder or tool the windows down but now I have three options instead of just two!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I do use the automatic sport mode, for slightly better performance than with the Drive mode, then shift it to Drive when up to speed. Just about never bother with the manual shifting part.
I thought I had read that the shifting response using the manual sport mode was the slowest of them all. Unless I have that confused with my Charger which has the manual shifting available while in the Drive mode.(No separate Sport mode.)
I'll have to go research that. LOL
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You may want to think about the increased RPM while driving in Sport mode in 5th gear after you put you new gears in. I believe you mentioned something about that in another post.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Yea but you missed what I was referring to. I used 5th to hold 2200-2500 RPMs because I liked the sound. This was in reference to 6th being the new 5th. Which being in 6th with 3.73s will get me the same RPMs now. So I won't be using 5th. Mostly 6th.

I said that because other people said you should drive a car at those RPMs constantly to see if you can handle that sound/engine rev down the highway.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I always use this to to keep my RPMs between 2500-3000 for the sound. It sounds great with my flow master super 44s. The auto shifts to quickly if I don't do it sounds quite.

2013 Premium Performance White

GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows

Last Mod: CDC Performance Grille

Next mod: Bama Race Tune!

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea but you missed what I was referring to. I used 5th to hold 2200-2500 RPMs because I liked the sound. This was in reference to 6th being the new 5th. Which being in 6th with 3.73s will get me the same RPMs now. So I won't be using 5th. Mostly 6th.

I said that because other people said you should drive a car at those RPMs constantly to see if you can handle that sound/engine rev down the highway.

Looks like I'm going to have to get the 3.73 soon. I left mine in 5th @2200 most of the drive home today. Crap the wife is going to be mad at me when I tell her I need the gears ASAP. Lol
Old 06-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Only reason I chose to get them right now is because a friend is paying for labor for my bday. I already have a few decent mods. So I expect to have some decent rear wheel power with my setup.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Only reason I chose to get them right now is because a friend is paying for labor for my bday. I already have a few decent mods. So I expect to have some decent rear wheel power with my setup.

Well my friends suck. Can I borrow yours just to "help" me get my gears installed. Ppppplease! Lol
Old 06-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post
Well my friends suck. Can I borrow yours just to "help" me get my gears installed. Ppppplease! Lol

Lol nah man. That's messed up.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol nah man. That's messed up.

Haha
Old 06-03-2015, 03:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Pretty sure you can leave it in sport mode on the interstate and shift up into 6th using the toggle. I always drive in Sport mode around town but let the car do the shifting. Unless it's raining, ten I leave it in D.

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I gotcha! But I think you'll find that there's a much smaller difference between 3.31 & 3.73 then there is between 5th & 6th gear. In other words, your RPM should be going down when in 6th with the 3.73s.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:10 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

But everyone has reported rpms around 2300-2500 when on the highway going 70-80....
Old 06-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I like to use sport mode when I am getting on the interstate. I enjoy dropping down to 3rd then flooring it rather than flooring it and have the car downshift to whatever gear it wants and go.

Shift up to 6 then pop it in to Drive.
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
But everyone has reported rpms around 2300-2500 when on the highway going 70-80....
At 130km or around 80Mph I'm right in that neighborhood. Probably around 25-2700. (6th gear manual)

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just saying 6 th gear with 3.73 rear end will be lower RPM then 5th gear with 3.31. It's not a dramatic difference. Here's an example at approx.70 mph 27" dia tires.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Example.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	184074
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/trans-01.htm
Old 06-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

Not sure what my diameter is. Noob when it comes to tires. I have 255/40/19s
Old 06-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not sure what my diameter is. Noob when it comes to tires. I have 255/49/19s
I'm running 245/45/19s with 3.73s.
I have no idea what tire dia that is either lol.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not sure what my diameter is. Noob when it comes to tires. I have 255/40/19s
255/40/19s= 27" dia Same as mine.
So that calculation should apply to you also.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #22
Kevin.Cook

Why thank you kind sir. This certain tire statistic always eluded me.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I'm running 245/45/19s with 3.73s.
I have no idea what tire dia that is either lol.

Sent from LG G3.
With those on-line calculators you don't have to know your tire dia. It calculates it for you.
At 80 MPH yours figures out to 3080 RPM in 5th gear
and 2500 RPM in 6th gear.
(245/45/19s figure out to a slightly larger dia tire @ approx. 27.68" dia.)
EDIT: Just noticed you said "Manual" That's slightly lower gear ratio then the auto. So RPM would be slightly higher.
Tire Size Calculator
Speedometer, Gear Ratio, and Tire Size Calculator
Old 06-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
With those on-line calculators you don't have to know your tire dia. It calculates it for you.
At 80 MPH yours figures out to 3080 RPM in 5th gear
and 2500 RPM in 6th gear.
(245/45/19s figure out to a slightly larger dia tire @ approx. 27.68" dia.)
EDIT: Just noticed you said "Manual" That's slightly lower gear ratio then the auto. So RPM would be slightly higher.
Tire Size Calculator
Speedometer, Gear Ratio, and Tire Size Calculator
Great info, thanks.

Sent from LG G3.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang