Expanded Recall... - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #36
Kevin.Cook

Grabbed this today off my MyFord account:

Recall Date: MAY 27, 2015
Recall Title: DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT
NHTSA Recall Number: 15V319
Ford Recall Number: 15S21
Recall Description: IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, CONTINUED EXPOSURE TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY MAY CAUSE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING TO RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONT AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY.
Risk to Safety: IN INFLATOR RUPTURE COULD RESULT IN METAL FRAGMENTS STRIKING AND POTENTIALLY INJURING VEHICLE OCCUPANTS
Remedy Program: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR WITH A NEW ONE, FREE OF CHARGE.
Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
That's what mine has said for weeks. Given the size of the recall it will easily be months, possibly even years before replacements become available.

If they were smart, they'd be contracting with one of the other airbag makers out there to build them a compatible retrofit device to replace the defective takta units. That too however, would take time.
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I was thinking of sending them a bill for a new full face helmet.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:17 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
The odd thing is that others on this board have had their airbag replaced by a dealer. How could they be fixed if there "is no remedy yet". I'm in SW Florida and I doubt there is a more humid area. Shouldn't those places get fixed first? I'm not really worried since I won't be having any front end collisions with my baby anyway...
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:35 AM   #40
Registered Member

Regular

^ It's probably some kind of a$$-covering going on. FoMoCo had better hope that none of the recalled cars with "no remedy available" gets into a collision and has an exploding airbag inflator. They'd be looking at lawsuits and bad press to make the Pinto gas tank thing look rather tame.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:37 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds to me like my vehicle is too dangerous to drive. Guess ford needs to make my payments until it is road worthy again.....

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:41 AM   #42
Admin

Supporter
Admin

^^ Good luck with that.

The air bags in question were not made by Ford; they were made by another manufacturer. It's going to take this vendor awhile to produce enough to cover the recall. Ford is not to blame for this.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

They chose to use that part, a part which is covered by the warranty and is found to be faulty. Ford is still liable.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #44

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
They chose to use that part, a part which is covered by the warranty and is found to be faulty. Ford is still liable.

Exactly.

Keachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438295564.392176.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	188347 all the way from Michigan! Here they come...anyone have any luck getting theirs replaced?

Brandonb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:41 PM   #46
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I got my letter in on Tuesday. It says they will call when the part is available...yeah right.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #47
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I got my letter in on Tuesday. It says they will call when the part is available...yeah right.
Exactly what mine said when I got it last Friday. The suspense is killing me
BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Windows Tinted @35
Flux Capacitor v3.2.1 | Mr. Fusion Generator v4.2 | DB Hover Conversion
MustangDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
^^ Good luck with that.

The air bags in question were not made by Ford; they were made by another manufacturer. It's going to take this vendor awhile to produce enough to cover the recall. Ford is not to blame for this.
They're maybe not to blame but must share the responsibility. They're the ones selling them to us, the consumer.
Not to mention that this problem existed in Takata air bags since 2004, which is when an airbag inflator exploded in a 2002 Honda Accord involved in a crash in Alabama, sending metal fragments through the bag and injuring the driver.

EDIT: I think it was negligent of Ford for taking so dam long to formally inform us of the potential problem.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I feel like we need something in return for this issue! I'm basically taking an extra chance everyday to get metal fragments lodged into my body every time I turn my key...

Brandonb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
They're maybe not to blame but must share the responsibility. They're the ones selling them to us, the consumer.
Not to mention that this problem existed in Takata air bags since 2004, which is when an airbag inflator exploded in a 2002 Honda Accord involved in a crash in Alabama, sending metal fragments through the bag and injuring the driver.

EDIT: I think it was negligent of Ford for taking so dam long to formally inform us of the potential problem.
Given that they say they have no fix yet, I guess they didn't see the rush.
Some owners on this board said that they had their cars "fixed" while it was there for other issues. I wonder what those dealers did? It couldn't have been a fix since one doesn't exist yet...supposedly..
Old 07-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Or they replaced the airbag inflator for some other reason. It's possible that the "new" airbag may still be affected by the recall.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Here's one thing you guys all need to understand. Takata the manufacture is under strict regulation by ford. I personally know this because 40% production of there inflated get X-rayed. How do I know this. Well I'm an industrial radiographer and my last company was one of several company's that xrayed these inflators. This by no means is fords fault as they require proper testing of these inflators for your safety. So stop blaming ford and saying they chose to use them. Guess what. They chose to paint the car to. They chose to put tires on it. Hell they chose to build it for you so you can purchase it.

No car is perfect and every single model ever made has had recalls.

This is not the first recall on takata inflators and will not be the last. That I can assure you of after doing xray on there parts for every car they make inflators for I can tell u that.

If you buy a car. You'll have a recall to cripe about

End rant.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #53

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Same here. Doubt it'll be any time soon and I live in a very humid area.
Keachat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 PM   #54
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Expanded Recall...

I got the notice on May 2. I contacted my local ford dealer that day to see when the replacements were in to get it fixed. At that time, May 2, I was told replacements wouldn't be in until at least August. As someone also said, I live in a humid area. With a large humidity spike over the last couple of weeks. And the letter said heat and humidity effects the airbags. Yay.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
the bad part of this saga is its againgt the law to sell a car with a safty recall open on it.hope none of you lucky folks were planning on trading anytime soon,friend was told he could not trade until fixed by ford dealer,they can't sell whats sitting on their lot either.I wonder where the first shipment of replacements are going?
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Here's one thing you guys all need to understand. Takata the manufacture is under strict regulation by ford. I personally know this because 40% production of there inflated get X-rayed. How do I know this. Well I'm an industrial radiographer and my last company was one of several company's that xrayed these inflators. This by no means is fords fault as they require proper testing of these inflators for your safety. So stop blaming ford and saying they chose to use them. Guess what. They chose to paint the car to. They chose to put tires on it. Hell they chose to build it for you so you can purchase it.

No car is perfect and every single model ever made has had recalls.

This is not the first recall on takata inflators and will not be the last. That I can assure you of after doing xray on there parts for every car they make inflators for I can tell u that.

If you buy a car. You'll have a recall to cripe about

End rant.

and the paint falling off the hoods isn't their fault either?

ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:40 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

This is nerve racking to say the least, I got the letter today.

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Just got this letter today too ugh one more thing to have to worry about... Anybody know how serious of a problem this is?

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:00 PM   #59
Registered Member

Regular

The problem is rare, but the exploding inflator has caused injuries and deaths.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Not blaming Ford but they are still responsible to make it good.
As far as illegal to sell a car with a safety recall, that's interesting.
I sold my Pontiac Solstice while it had a safety recall on the ignition switch. will I go to jail?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
Given that they say they have no fix yet, I guess they didn't see the rush.
Some owners on this board said that they had their cars "fixed" while it was there for other issues. I wonder what those dealers did? It couldn't have been a fix since one doesn't exist yet...supposedly..
I got my letter the other day, even though the dealership said they fixed this (I assume Ford is just sending it out to every owner regardless though). I am actually wondering about this now too. They said they did the work and the sheet shows hours charged to warranty, so...No idea.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:13 PM   #62
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
"Dealership said." Those two words together won't end well.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:35 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
I got my letter the other day, even though the dealership said they fixed this (I assume Ford is just sending it out to every owner regardless though). I am actually wondering about this now too. They said they did the work and the sheet shows hours charged to warranty, so...No idea.
The whole thing is strange. Why were they using faulty Takata inflators in 2012 when the first recall of them was in 2004? Did Takata keep making them for 8 years even after the were found to explode sometimes? It makes no sense to me. I am just glad they at least are not going off on their own so all I have to worry about is a serious crash. That's not happening to my Stang!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:39 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

So if I get into an accident side air bag has potential to release some metal crap? I don't get it

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:04 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
The whole thing is strange. Why were they using faulty Takata inflators in 2012 when the first recall of them was in 2004? Did Takata keep making them for 8 years even after the were found to explode sometimes? It makes no sense to me. I am just glad they at least are not going off on their own so all I have to worry about is a serious crash. That's not happening to my Stang!

Takata a recal in 04 was not on the Same inflators. This was just stating they had a huge recall in 04.
Now there having another huge recall.
After xraying these I can definitely see how any inflator could easily explode and shatter into many pieces. I mean these are basically little bombs wrapped in metal that are designed to direct the blow a certain direction.

One weak spot and your looking for trouble and honestly this could happen on any inflator from any brand. There almost all the same as another as far as design and the apparent durability of them.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:02 AM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

So Takata made new inflators with the exact same defect as the old ones? Why are only the Takata inflators corroding from humidity? Do other manufacturers use a different metal in theirs? It seems to me that if they must use metal in "bomb" in front of my face they should at least use stainless steel so it can't corrode and weaken.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:16 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

They do use stainless. It's not a metal issue so to speak. The inflator will discharge in a faulty manner and due to the fault it blows the metal apart. There designd to handle the pressure of a properly imploding device. When a fault explosion happens the metal absorbs the impact in areas it's not designed for and can not handle the extra stress and gets turned into scrap metal

Old 07-31-2015, 11:24 AM   #68
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
We are all more at risk of being killed by a drunken texting driver than by the airbags. It's a problem (mostly for Takata) but put this low on the worry about list.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:29 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I git my notice for my airbag. Waiting for the appointment.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

I got my notice for my airbag. Waiting for the appointment.
jh1hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #70
Registered Member

Regular

For what it's worth, a Ford vehicle with a faulty Takata airbag has claimed its first victim--as recently as Dec. 2015. Has anyone gotten updates from Ford?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/bu...-lag.html?_r=0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang