Expanded Recall... - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2016, 07:56 AM   #176
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
This is a no brainer install guys. If your dealership manages to mess it up, that would be quite a feat.
You clearly haven't met my (former) dealer. They are "special." LOL

I'm planning to take a couple of photos of the steering wheel, tell the service writer, and offer to send them to him (or have him join me for a walkaround of the car). At least the new dealer will know if they screw up, I'll notice.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Have the parts came in for the recall yet? I just got something in the mail the other day from Ford about the recall but it said the parts weren't ready for install yet and it would be later this year I believe.
CyberCarnage12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #178
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I got a letter saying the part was in and to call and make an appointment.
I go in on the 14th. at 8AM
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:21 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm... I'll have to call and check on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
CyberCarnage12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #180

Region: Texas
Don't know if everyone knew this but now the passenger side airbag is recalled as well. Looks to be 2005-2011 mustangs.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...in-takata.html
Old 06-01-2016, 04:26 PM   #181
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
OK, I'm gonna start wearing one of these!

BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires | Windows Tinted @35
Flux Capacitor v3.2.1 | Mr. Fusion Generator v4.2 | DB Hover Conversion
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:32 AM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenx89 View Post
Don't know if everyone knew this but now the passenger side airbag is recalled as well. Looks to be 2005-2011 mustangs.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...in-takata.html
That is interesting . I wonder if they have different inflaters in 2012 -14's or they are just not telling us yet?
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #183
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

From what I can find, It is not only the inflater's that may cause the airbag to deploy while just driving down the road without warning, But the case explodes sending shrapnel into your face and may just kill you like 7 other people that died from this defect.
This is what happens when they don't want to spend a few cents on putting serial numbers and lot numbers on a product.
Al of this could have been way less tragic if they actually knew what parts were defective and where they went. A serial Number and lot Number would have avoided all of this turmoil.
Out of the millions they have to replace, Only a few hundred are defective, They just don't know where they are or even what brand of car they were put into.

I would probably bet that the new replacements still probably don't have a serial number or a lot number on them.
Ronnie
Old 06-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
According to a NY Times article today, defective bags are still being installed in cars. Fortunately, Ford was not one of the manufacturers mentioned.
sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:22 PM   #185
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yea, They are probably taking the part out of one car and just putting it into another car.
It's like last month when I caught the guy switching the "Sell by" tags on Pepridge farm bread at Publix . They use separate tags and it was easy for him to do until a screamed at him.
I was so mad I just walked out.
Ronnie
PS: it was the bread delivery man and not a Publix employee.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Well for those of you still waiting for the parts to come in just know that I had the option to take mine in this past Tuesday but I wasn't feeling great after Memorial Day so I didn't even bother to get it replaced. I'll just wait til my next day off and get it taken care of. The perks of a small town I suppose. 😎

kona010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:24 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Yea, They are probably taking the part out of one car and just putting it into another car.
It's like last month when I caught the guy switching the "Sell by" tags on Pepridge farm bread at Publix . They use separate tags and it was easy for him to do until a screamed at him.
I was so mad I just walked out.
Ronnie
PS: it was the bread delivery man and not a Publix employee.

Which publix?

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #188
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The one on Nova and Dunlawton

It looked like he was slipping off the little square tags with the date and putting back on different tags on the older loafs that were on the shelf.
That is what it sure looked like.
I could not swear on what he was doing but it was enough to P me off.
Ronnie

PS: Are you planing on going to the AM show in August?????
Old 06-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #189

Hello everyone with these airbag recall notices going out that parts are available, has anyone else had theirs done yet? Would you recommend if car has off-road mid pipe or any mods for that matter and are tuned to return to stock tune prior to getting air bag replaced? I have read some just say to make the service advisor aware the car is tuned? First time dealing with tuned car and recall work so just a few questions.
brlahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #190
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Personally, I would put the stock tune back into the car because they may or may not have a government mandated compulsory upgrade that will be done weather they tell you or not.
Ronnie
Old 06-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys. Those of you who have had your recall done how long does it take my local ford dealer has the parts available for my 14 but depending on how long it takes I may or may not take it in this week. I know if I call they will give me an estimate but I want an owners estimate.
rubyredv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #192
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
^ Less than 5 minutes for mine.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #193
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon View Post
^ Less than 5 minutes for mine.
Does that include the extra time to scratch your interior?

I kid, I kid...or do I?

2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #194
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I got to my dealer at about 7:30 for my 8 o-clock appointment.
Guy checked me in,
Went into the dealers restaurant to have breakfast.
My car was done before I finished my breakfast.

I learned that at my dealer, One person does all of the recalls and nothing else.
They are probably expert at doing the airbag changes and know exactly how to do it on all of the different Fords and the other brands of car at the Auto Mall that my Ford dealer owns.

No Scratches, No rattles, All of my steering wheel buttons still work and ny recall is all done.
Ronnie
Old 06-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #195
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I got to my dealer at about 7:30 for my 8 o-clock appointment.
Guy checked me in,
Went into the dealers restaurant to have breakfast.
My car was done before I finished my breakfast.

I learned that at my dealer, One person does all of the recalls and nothing else.
They are probably expert at doing the airbag changes and know exactly how to do it on all of the different Fords and the other brands of car at the Auto Mall that my Ford dealer owns.

No Scratches, No rattles, All of my steering wheel buttons still work and ny recall is all done.
Ronnie

Which dealership did you go to for your recall?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
wmelendez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #196
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Gary Yeoman Ford at the Daytona Auto Mall.
Call them and see if they have the airbag part for your year and if they do, Make an appointment.
I bought my car there from them so I got my letter to call from them.

Ronnie
Old 06-16-2016, 04:57 AM   #197
Registered Member
Regular

Expanded Recall...

They don't have parts for the 13-14 cars yet. Yeomans said they can do the earlier years. I'm not sure what the difference would be in the parts.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:33 AM   #198
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Noodles,
Somebody on the forum said they had to go back because their dealer put 2012 part on their 2014 by mistake.
There must be some sort of difference.
Ronnie
Old 06-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #199
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

While I'm waiting for the airbag to become available for my car, I would rather have the airbag disabled than have the possibility of it exploding in my face. Has anyone found a way to disable the airbag?
Old 06-16-2016, 09:44 PM   #200
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

From what I understand is that it is VERY RARE for that to happen, Of course it did happen to some cars, Not only Mustangs but just about every brand of car made are on this recall list.
I would not worry too much,
The problem is that the idiot company did not put any numbers describing when the parts used were defective so they could not track where they went.
They say it is more severe in a wet muggy climate.
They say they won't be done with this recall until 2018
Ronnie

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive...cted-vehicles/
Old 06-17-2016, 08:19 AM   #201
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
From what I understand is that it is VERY RARE for that to happen, Of course it did happen to some cars, Not only Mustangs but just about every brand of car made are on this recall list.
The problem is that the idiot company did not put any numbers describing when the parts used were defective so they could not track where they went.
Ronnie

Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know – News –*Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
Thanks for the reply Ronnie, and I understand exactly everything you mentioned as I have been following it closely as well. I am still curious if there is a way to disable the drivers airbag anyway. Like I said, curious. Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #202
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm sure if you disabled the airbag, The Computer would probably "NOT" let the car run.
I'm not sure about this, but this is something you can ask your dealer about.
Ronnie
Old 06-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #203
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ronnie

Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know – News –*Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog
It is the design of the charge container and use of highly corrosive ammonium nitrate as propellant that has caused the injuries and recalls. Therefore all the recalled units are defective and could eventually fail.
High humidity accelerates the corrosion that weakens the container and allows it to fracture into pieces. I can only assume that the new units do not use the same propellant. It now appears that mustangs before 2012 have the same defect in the passenger airbag and I wonder how longit will be before 2012-14's are added to that list. I doubt they have different airbags.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:51 PM   #204
Registered Member

Regular

I also wonder what happens to the availability of replacement units for the recall if Takata goes bankrupt...which could very well happen.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:44 PM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I also wonder what happens to the availability of replacement units for the recall if Takata goes bankrupt...which could very well happen.
The way I see it, the car manufacturer is responsible to me for correcting defects with my car. If they have problems with their supplier, get another supplier.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:09 PM   #206
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I may be wrong because I read this on line that the Governments of Japan, America and China bailed them out of this because of the repercussions if this problem is not corrected.

I'll try to think about where I read it but it was a long while ago.
Ronnie
Old 06-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #207

Got my airbag unit replaced yesterday. Went smoothly no issues, dealer said something about a cpu unit recall. Wondering if any of you guys heard anything about that.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #208

Just looked at the paperwork again, powertrain conrtol module reprogramming. They didn't do it due to my tuner.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #209
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenx89 View Post
Just looked at the paperwork again, powertrain conrtol module reprogramming. They didn't do it due to my tuner.
Good to know, I install the stock tune whenever I have to take it do the Dealer for any servicing.
Old 06-20-2016, 02:40 PM   #210
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

They only changed the airbag on my 2012, They did not take long enough to reprogram my CPU.
I have not heard anything about an updated for the CPU on my 2012 V6 but maybe the 5.0 V8's may need it.
That is something to ask about.
Ronnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang