Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Expanded Recall...

21K views 268 replies 74 participants last post by  Mugeismo 
#1 ·
#242 ·
my letter said they do have the parts. my original letter from over a year ago said they didn't.

#244 ·
I just spoke with the service and parts people at my local dealership. The 15S21 recall (the old one from like 2 years ago) they have parts for but is not referred to as a "Takata recall" in their system (makes no sense). There's also a 17S21 recall referred to as a "Takata recall" in their system (which I think is for the passenger side inflators).

So, when calling your dealership, you may want to reference the recall notice number on the letter from Ford.

The dealer also confirmed that they do not hold those parts but they expect some to be present for when I have scheduled the service. I think I'll call ahead that same morning to confirm before driving over. The service guy also said I should "obviously wait a few hours" for the repairs to be done and when pressed would give any kind of time-frame. Based on the nature of the repair I suspect it will take much less time and they're padding their estimate in case they run late. I do have to go on a Saturday due to work, so I suspect it will be busier.

Fingers crossed they don't f*@# anything up.

#246 ·
Just got my recall for the 15S21 recall. Dealer said they can do it it next Wednesday and is expected to take about 1.5 hrs.

#248 ·
that's a good question. I'd like to know too.

#249 ·
If you do not take the tune off make sure you put tape over the OBD port also make sure to leave a note that they know not to flash it. Sometimes it's easier to bring it back to stock it depends on your dealer make sure you do one of those two things.

plz excuse typos..sxtng n drving

#250 ·
#251 ·
It is just easy to put the stock tune back in , get the recall done and put your performance tune in when it is back home.
I have heard this before and not just Fords but all cars are supposed to be checked to see in the software is up to date and update if needed.
It' should not be that big of a deal to let them update if needed.
Ronnie

#254 ·
I went to a FORD dealership to get an oil change done, I informed the guy behind the counter that I had my driver side airbag replaced but FORD still shows a recall on my VIN. He ran my info and called the dealership that did my airbag work and he came to the conclusion something wasn't right and that the airbag was never replaced.

They had my driver side airbag in stock and replaced it quick. Today I went to the first dealership that "did" the replacement and they informed me that the wrong bracket was used and they didn't know until I had the other dealership contact them and look into it.

If I was hurt, I would have sued! plain and simple. This is a safety recall and they should have fixed it right the first time. Originally I had gone in, they told me they will order the part, they called me, I went in and waited 45 minutes and they gave me the car back and said it was A Okay!

As far as any passenger side airbag issues with my car, as far as I know I don't have to worry about it. I will run my VIN again soon and make sure all is well.

#255 ·
I went to a FORD dealership to get an oil change done, I informed the guy behind the counter that I had my driver side airbag replaced but FORD still shows a recall on my VIN. He ran my info and called the dealership that did my airbag work and he came to the conclusion something wasn't right and that the airbag was never replaced.

They had my driver side airbag in stock and replaced it quick. Today I went to the first dealership that "did" the replacement and they informed me that the wrong bracket was used and they didn't know until I had the other dealership contact them and look into it.

If I was hurt, I would have sued! plain and simple. This is a safety recall and they should have fixed it right the first time. Originally I had gone in, they told me they will order the part, they called me, I went in and waited 45 minutes and they gave me the car back and said it was A Okayed​!

As far as any passenger side airbag issues with my car, as far as I know I don't have to worry about it. I will run my VIN again soon and make sure all is well.
It's always disappointing to hear about such dealer shenanigans. At least the second place was a bit more thorough and caught the error.

#256 ·
Okies, got the airbag replaced this morning--I was in the dealership for all of 40 minutes.

They do replace the entire airbag module in the middle of the steering wheel, so if the metallic pony logo is scratched up, you'll get a new one for free.

#258 ·
Last year when I got a letter saying the same thing as yours. I drove down to my Ford dealer only to be told, "we'll have to order the canister". Waited 5 more weeks for it to come in :(

#260 ·
We all pretty much know that the drivers side recall took about 10 minutes to replace and no damage.
IT WOULD BE NICE TO KNOW -
What is involved when they do the passenger side replacement?
I have not seen one bit of information on this and I'm worried they have to take half the dash apart and turn my car into a rattle trap.
Ronnie

#261 ·
I found this PASSENGER SIDE REMOVAL

This is the only one I found, I sure hope the garage monkey knows what he is doing and I don't end up with squeaks and rattles.
Ronnie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5N3KULtKI

#262 ·
So this Takata airbag recall was extended into the 2016 Mustangs as well?? If so I definitely need to have mine checked. I work in a Ford dealership and have been unaware of this the entire time...

#264 ·
If this is true, Something is terribly screwed up in the whole wide world:
So this Takata airbag recall was extended into the 2016 Mustangs as well??
This has been a known problem since 2010.
And if they are still producing bombs in 2016 and putting them in cars. ??????????????????
What the heck is going on????????????????????
Ronnie

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

If this is true, Something is terribly screwed up in the whole wide world:
So this Takata airbag recall was extended into the 2016 Mustangs as well??
This has been a known problem since 2010.
And if they are still producing bombs in 2016 and putting them in cars. ??????????????????
What the heck is going on????????????????????
Ronnie

#265 ·
So I stopped my my local ford dealer late last year and inquired about the recall, l was told it wasn't a big deal and the parts would be available soon. He told me to drive safe. Long story short I received my letter last week with the big red warning sign on the outside of the letter. Now all of the sudden its an emergency and critical that I schedule my appointment. It's just crazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#266 ·
So I stopped my my local ford dealer late last year and inquired about the recall, l was told it wasn't a big deal and the parts would be available soon. He told me to drive safe. Long story short I received my letter last week with the big red warning sign on the outside of the letter. Now all of the sudden its an emergency and critical that I schedule my appointment. It's just crazy.
Though given the world we're living in right now, I wish colorful envelopes from Ford were as crazy as it got. :(

#267 ·
wonder if dealers are open Memorial day? it's my only holiday off until 4th of July, so i figured id do it then.

#268 ·
I know my dealer is and has huge sales on cars. This is the day they like to sell as many 2017's they have left.
I'm not sure but I think the shop is closed.
Ronnie

#269 ·
I was warned about the recall when I bought my car (December 2015). I didn't get around to fixing it until late 2016. They said it would take a week to get in the parts. Ended up taking them 3-4 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.