Tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2015, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Tune

If I get a tune before a CAI, what would the tune actually do?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Gumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbus View Post
If I get a tune before a CAI, what would the tune actually do?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Depends on if your mustang is an auto or a manual, normally a tune will free up a few extra horses, as the stock tune is fairly mild, if you have an auto, normally it will help make the shift points more firm, and generally makes driving it a little more fun.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Plus getting a tune is never a bad thing. Because if you add any mods later on, Bama's free tunes for life will have you set every step of the way. There are other tuner companies also. Go with whichever you feel is right and comfy with. This, like other mods, you can/will receive ALOT of opinions. I personally with with Bama so I didn't have to buy tunes later on. That way I can focus my money on other mods while still having a mild tune the entire way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

I also have the Bama free tunes for life, and with every mod, that I feel would benefit from it, I have Bama make me a new tune, it is really useful. All you have to do to get the free tunes for life, is to buy a tuner from AM, doesn't matter which one, so pick out the one best suited for you.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So buying an unmarried tuner outside from AM won't get me the tunes for life?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 06-04-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
IMHO, it's the best first mod you can make.

Everything you do to the car, performance wise, builds off of that.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
So buying an unmarried tuner outside from AM won't get me the tunes for life?

2013 mustang v6 premium

Nope, you still need to buy their tune membership (like 150 I think).

Plus, you need to be aware of how many times it has been unmarried. I think they can hit up to 5 before you have to send it to SCT to get it unlocked. Which I think brings in another fee.

Best way is to buy your own brand new and use the AM Forum code for a discount. Less headache and you won't be buying someone else's stuff. This is one of those things you REALLY want to buy new.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Is it possible to buy just a tuner from AM or do you have to get a CAI/tuner kit?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 06-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Never mind I found it

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 06-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #10
Kevin.Cook

You have to buy a procharger first.

Just kidding. I think the tuner is like $400. With the forum discount (which you have over 50 posts, hit up an AM rep on here if you don't have it), it should know off about $20. So imo, $380 isn't bad for a new tuner with free tunes for life. This is regarding the SX4.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Say I bought an unmarried one elsewhere. What would I be missing by not getting tunes for life?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 06-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook

If you modded later, you would have to purchase a new tune (depending on who you go with) or get the Bama tunes for life membership.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

So it'd only let me tune the car once?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 06-04-2015, 10:39 AM   #14
Kevin.Cook

Well when you initially get the tuner, you won't be able to tune at all. You will have to purchase tunes from a vendor. DO NOT try to use another car's tunes on your car. This can lead to serious issues.

With some vendors, after they send you the first set of tunes, you have to purchase more if you mod later. Or you get a set amount of months until your membership expires. Again, it all matters who you go with.

Edit: When I say it won't let you tune at all, I am advising you not to use any tunes that are already on the tuner from another person's car.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

So I really shouldn't mess with buying another guys tuner even if it's unmarried?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 06-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The tuner is just a means of placing said tune on your car. It, in and of itself does nothing, its a DVD player with no movies, an Xbox with no games ... Its useless until you put something on it.

Assuming the tuner is still married to someone elses car, it still believes it belongs to that car, and will not allow tunes to be written to any other vehicle - this is to prevent 10 people from buying 1 tuner and trying to tune all their cars with it - 1 vehicle per tuner.

When you initially tune the car it will copy your stock map, place a tune on your vehicle, and essentially become "married" to your vehicle at that point. However, to reiterate earlier, the tuner in and of itself is useless. When purchasing an unmarried tuner used, you will need to purchase a tune from whichever company. At that point, they will email you a tune for your vehicle, which you will then use the tuner to upload, take datalogs to send to the tuner, and receive revisions for your car. Its cheaper at the expense of a little more work on your end is all.

You can flash 20 maps a day, an hour, a minute to your car, makes no difference. That is obviously excessive, and most people end up needing to flash very few revisions, but there is no limit if you desire to flip between maps. Obviously excessive tuning can potentially lead to issues, so its best to limit it to reasonable use.

As Kevin has been explaining, another person's tune may not even work on your vehicle, or could very well damage it. If that person had a stick and you have an auto, had a v8 and you have a v6, etc... it would cause issues. Also, the tune is ECU specific, the tuner will request your ECU code off your ECU, so you can see trying to flash someone elses tune would cause issues.

So, your options:

1. Buy a brand new tuner
- receive tuner loaded with tunes and enjoy your car

2. Buy used tuner
- delete all existing tunes off using SCT device updater
-Purchase tunes from whichever company
-place them on the tuner using the device updater
-tune vehicle and all is well.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The tuner is just a means of placing said tune on your car. It, in and of itself does nothing, its a DVD player with no movies, an Xbox with no games ... Its useless until you put something on it.

Assuming the tuner is still married to someone elses car, it still believes it belongs to that car, and will not allow tunes to be written to any other vehicle - this is to prevent 10 people from buying 1 tuner and trying to tune all their cars with it - 1 vehicle per tuner.

When you initially tune the car it will copy your stock map, place a tune on your vehicle, and essentially become "married" to your vehicle at that point. However, to reiterate earlier, the tuner in and of itself is useless. When purchasing an unmarried tuner used, you will need to purchase a tune from whichever company. At that point, they will email you a tune for your vehicle, which you will then use the tuner to upload, take datalogs to send to the tuner, and receive revisions for your car. Its cheaper at the expense of a little more work on your end is all.

You can flash 20 maps a day, an hour, a minute to your car, makes no difference. That is obviously excessive, and most people end up needing to flash very few revisions, but there is no limit if you desire to flip between maps. Obviously excessive tuning can potentially lead to issues, so its best to limit it to reasonable use.

As Kevin has been explaining, another person's tune may not even work on your vehicle, or could very well damage it. If that person had a stick and you have an auto, had a v8 and you have a v6, etc... it would cause issues. Also, the tune is ECU specific, the tuner will request your ECU code off your ECU, so you can see trying to flash someone elses tune would cause issues.

So, your options:

1. Buy a brand new tuner
- receive tuner loaded with tunes and enjoy your car

2. Buy used tuner
- delete all existing tunes off using SCT device updater
-Purchase tunes from whichever company
-place them on the tuner using the device updater
-tune vehicle and all is well.
Excellent description addressing used tuners. This should be made part of the Tuner section of, "A beginner's guide to modifying your V6".
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Voltwings has to much Time on his hands he's always writing huge posts

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #19
Kevin.Cook

He has that sage wisdom...
Old 06-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
Voltwings has to much Time on his hands he's always writing huge posts

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I work contract, same days are fast, some days are slow ... guess what today is haha. Gives me a chance to post, but more importantly it gives me a chance to read ... a lot.

Whats funny is everyone is sitting around twiddling their thumbs at this point, and im over here writing books lol, people always ask what the hell im doing.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:43 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

That's guys, especially you voltwings!

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 06-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
So I really shouldn't mess with buying another guys tuner even if it's unmarried?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Depends on the tune(s) you plan to install. If your plan is to use "custom tunes", then getting a used, unmarried tuner could be a good choice if the price is good. Custom tunes are assigned to a VIN, and get easily downloaded to most any tuner, then applied to the vehicle that the custom tune/VIN was created against. Some tuners have canned tunes, which can be installed on any vehicle the canned tune was written for. The "tunes for life" option would apply only to the original purchaser of the tuner, or if the next buyer purchases the option as well from the vendor of the tuner/tunes.

One thing to remember; the tuner sellers are out to make money. This is why tunes (especially custom tunes) are rarely allowed to transfer to another vehicle; they are tied to the VIN of the car they were written for.

Another issue to be careful of when buying a used tuner is to see if it's unlocked from the previous owners vehicle. Tuner manufacturers can unlock it for you, but for a fee. Also, the number of unlocks left should be considered. Maybe you'll use this tuner for awhile, but then have plans to sell it later. If the tuner has a maximum number of locks/unlocks set, then you'll want to know this count when you buy it (used) so you have the availability to resell it. Each time a tuner is married to a different VIN, that counts as a lock. When it is unmarried then sold and married to another vehicles VIN, that becomes a new lock. Most tuners allow 5 of these. So for example, if you buy a tuner that has been used against two vehicles already, your vehicle will be number 3, and the tuner will have 2 left on it (could be sold off and married to to other vehicles).

A tuner can only be married to one vehicle at a time.

All of these factors should be considered when purchasing a used tuner.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You can buy a used tuner and save money, but i spent the extra cash for a brand new one. I saw a couple for a good price but the "buy or beware" aspect haunted my thoughts and made me very skeptical with going that route.

Spend the extra cash for peace of mind...imo

Black 2008 GT "If it ain't hooking, it ain't booking"
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:25 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

"One thing to remember; the tuner sellers are out to make money. This is why tunes (especially custom tunes) are rarely allowed to transfer to another vehicle; they are tied to the VIN of the car they were written for."
At least with AM tunes for life, I first got that when I had my 04 mustang gt, and I had no problem with it being transferred to my 14 v6, now as for other companies I have no experience with them, but as far as AM goes it worked out fine.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

What exactly is a custom tune?

2013 mustang v6 premium
Old 06-05-2015, 10:49 AM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

A tune made specifically for your car. In a nutshell, you give them your pcm code, and what mods you have, and they make a tune for you.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Since i have a slight recreational background in tuning, ill explain it in a way that makes sense to me.

My experience is in the mazdaspeed3, boosted 4 cylinder if you're unfamiliar. Ive tuned about 100 different combination of parts, fuels, turbos, exhausts, intercoolers, etc... I have a fairly good understanding of what combinations like what type of tune.

Lets say some guy on the street comes up to me and says "I want my car tuned right now, but i only have 5 minutes." Ok, well ... you're obviously not going to get a great tune in 5 minutes, but for the sake of this discussion, i know with 93 octane, a good downpipe and a good intercooler the car can comfortably run 2 psi and lets say 3* timing over stock. He leaves and i never see him again, but i know that tune is fine because i've seen it work plenty. That is a canned tune, a one size fits all simply based on mods.

A custom tune is where he will get me some datalogs and i will see how his specific vehicle responds, even if it has the same parts as 100 other cars, and cater the tune, tweak a few things here and there and make it specific to his car and his driving style.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #28
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Since i have a slight recreational background in tuning, ill explain it in a way that makes sense to me.

My experience is in the mazdaspeed3, boosted 4 cylinder if you're unfamiliar. Ive tuned about 100 different combination of parts, fuels, turbos, exhausts, intercoolers, etc... I have a fairly good understanding of what combinations like what type of tune.

Lets say some guy on the street comes up to me and says "I want my car tuned right now, but i only have 5 minutes." Ok, well ... you're obviously not going to get a great tune in 5 minutes, but for the sake of this discussion, i know with 93 octane, a good downpipe and a good intercooler the car can comfortably run 2 psi and lets say 3* timing over stock. He leaves and i never see him again, but i know that tune is fine because i've seen it work plenty. That is a canned tune, a one size fits all simply based on mods.

A custom tune is where he will get me some datalogs and i will see how his specific vehicle responds, even if it has the same parts as 100 other cars, and cater the tune, tweak a few things here and there and make it specific to his car and his driving style.
I leave all the specifics to voltwings XD, but yea what he said, a Dyno tune would also be a good example of this, as it is tailored made for your car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang