Tires/wheels for snow? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Tires/wheels for snow?

Hey guys, had a question. I recently bought a 2012 Mustang with PP. Has those giant 19" rims on it. I'm looking ahead to winter, which can get pretty nuts here in NJ.

I'm looking into buying a set of cheap rims I can throw snow tires on, that I can swap out with my 19's when the flurries start coming down. But I don't know what size rims I should be looking for....

My buddy is a mechanic, and knows a guy with a 2015 Mustang GT who has a set of OEM rims to sell for cheap, they only have 150 miles on them. But they're 18" x 8.5" so they're only 1 inch smaller in diameter, but still just as wide. Would that be any better in the snow?

If not, what size rims should I be looking for and why?
stayFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Im in Wisconsin, so we get some pretty nasty winters too. I just used the stock PZeros on stock rims and didnt have any problems at all. All long as youre easy on it you shouldnt have any problems
Old 06-05-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Check the diameter of your front rotor, if they are 13.2 inches, then the lowest you can go without clearence issues is 18".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
18" is great, it's what I used on my 2011 and now my 2014. For snow, using Winter tires, a narrower tread is actually more helpful, although I just use the same exact size as my Summer tires, 235/50/18.
I don't recommend Dunlop Winter Maxx. They ok but not as good as cheaper Winter Claw off brand tires I had before.
19" wheels are way more expensive to find Winter tires for, so I don't recommend those.
Here's my 14 in mid Winter riding on Tirerack 18" MSW wheels with Dunlop Winter Maxx.
I also don't recommend wheels from Tirerack. No matter how well you get them balanced, they shake. Most need a hubcentric ring and it never goes just right.
If you can pick up real factory Mustang 18" wheels, go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	184196  
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
The stock 18's will not clear brembos. Not sure if you car has them or not but I'm assuming if it has the PP it does.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
The stock 18's will not clear brembos. Not sure if you car has them or not but I'm assuming if it has the PP it does.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
No, PP V6's don't come with Brembos, just bigger rotors and special compound pads on GT calipers (with a bigger caliper bracket to accommodate the larger-diameter rotor).
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Oh my bad I didn't see this was in the v6 section.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnight92 View Post
Im in Wisconsin, so we get some pretty nasty winters too. I just used the stock PZeros on stock rims and didnt have any problems at all. All long as youre easy on it you shouldnt have any problems
Same here. She has only seen snow a couple times and the stock tires actually handle surprisingly well in the snow.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Oh my bad I didn't see this was in the v6 section.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Hey man we can't all afford GTs like you! LOL
Old 06-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #10

Has the 18x8.5 with Enkai rims for winter and they work well. Problem is if it snows over 8 inches(New England) you aren't going anywhere! Too low to go. Break out the 4 wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Island Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Hey man we can't all afford GTs like you! LOL

All that money you spent on your premium conversion put down on a GT, you'd have one too. 😉

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 06-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Smaller wheel, narrower tire...I went from stock 18" on my Pony Package to a 17" wheel.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:50 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
the 2012 PP was manual only....they gave us the smaller rotors. A set of 17's should fit and you can get them cheap with Nero's on them (see Tym!) this is unless someone upgraded brakes. As Kevin said measure rotors they probably are 12.6 if so Buy Tyms he's in MA so unless it's southern NJ it's within driving distance (shipping costs $) If you want you should be able to get a set of the 17's real cheap with all seasons or 18's fairly cheap.

enjoy the ride 3rd gear in these is a hoot!

oh yeah, like Island said over 8 stay home or buy a truck
Old 06-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #14

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
the 2012 PP was manual only....they gave us the smaller rotors. A set of 17's should fit and you can get them cheap with Nero's on them (see Tym!) this is unless someone upgraded brakes. As Kevin said measure rotors they probably are 12.6 if so Buy Tyms he's in MA so unless it's southern NJ it's within driving distance (shipping costs $) If you want you should be able to get a set of the 17's real cheap with all seasons or 18's fairly cheap.

enjoy the ride 3rd gear in these is a hoot!

oh yeah, like Island said over 8 stay home or buy a truck
What is Tym? Google is not coming up with anything tire-related.

Oh, and just for anyone wondering, my rotors are roughly 12.5"
stayFrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
On my 13, had stock 18 inch rims. I'm prolly going to sell my Hankook ipike 419's that have about 1000 miles on them. I don't plan on my 15 ever seeing a snowflake!! The size is 245/45r18. They are highly rated. I know since selling tires is what I do for a living lol. Shoot me a pm if your interested. I'll get pics on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
medusasdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:28 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Tym V6 who posted in this thrd (props for searching with Google!) had a set for sale. I would look for a set that someone took off their car in this and other forums..the 17's should be easy/cheap to find. I cant say if the Neros are OK in snow but DON'T run the summer onlys. PM Tym see if he still has them, heck maybe you guys can meet in CT and RoboStang and I can be lured into running a little CT cruise.

see my threads we do New England cruises 2x year.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusasdelta View Post
On my 13, had stock 18 inch rims. I'm prolly going to sell my Hankook ipike 419's that have about 1000 miles on them. I don't plan on my 15 ever seeing a snowflake!! The size is 245/45r18. They are highly rated. I know since selling tires is what I do for a living lol. Shoot me a pm if your interested. I'll get pics on Monday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My wife has these exact tires and size...well almost (235/45/18) on her 2013 Fusion and they performed great last Winter in NH. She picked them because of the way the design looked on the tread. I was never a fan of Hankook because of the name and preferred more 'Merica sounding tires.
I'm a fan of Hankook now though. They are great in our heavy snow.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Tym V6 who posted in this thrd (props for searching with Google!) had a set for sale. I would look for a set that someone took off their car in this and other forums..the 17's should be easy/cheap to find. I cant say if the Neros are OK in snow but DON'T run the summer onlys. PM Tym see if he still has them, heck maybe you guys can meet in CT and RoboStang and I can be lured into running a little CT cruise.

Neros are horrible. I had my car 3 months when we got a heavy rain storm out in So. Ca and I was barely able to keep the car straight. I wouldnt trust them in rain let alone Snow...If others have had better exp. with them more power to you. I just wouldnt feel right letting anyone think they can get through a winter DD a Mustang with P-Zeros. Just get the 17" wheels and get a set of Blizzaks or something.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I had this same question before I bought my '13 V6 (I live in PA), no PP though, so I'm not 100% sure how the next bit of information will effect you.

My OEM's were 18" so I dropped down to 17" for my winter setup. I chose to go with a smaller wheel for 2 reasons:
  1. Better traction on a smaller diameter tire in the snow
  2. Cheaper (~$185 less)

I went with Firestone Winterforce tires, not the best of the best, but I have yet to have any issues with them at all and I've never missed a day of work because of snow in the 2 years I've had the car. In the first year you'll lose money, but after that you should be saving because you won't have to pay for mounting and balancing when you switch to your summer wheels, plus it keeps your nicer wheels from getting all jacked up with the salt and rocks they put down during the winter.

My advice, go with the 18" ones, or drop down to the 17" if you can easily. Again, if I were you I would do some research and find out what's possible. A simple wheel swap at a dealership is anywhere from $10 - $25 from what I've seen around here.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
I had this same question before I bought my '13 V6 (I live in PA), no PP though, so I'm not 100% sure how the next bit of information will effect you.

My OEM's were 18" so I dropped down to 17" for my winter setup. I chose to go with a smaller wheel for 2 reasons:

Better traction on a smaller diameter tire in the snow

I believe you may be confusing wheel sizes with tire sizes. A smaller tire diameter does not provide better traction in the snow. The smaller diameter wheels however are recommended because they increase the tire profile while maintaining the original tire diameter.
Also, it's the narrower tire that does better in the snow.
Like the old Volkswagen beetle that the snow plow drivers used to drive to their snow plows, in the old TV commercials. (You may be too young too have seen that.)
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I believe you may be confusing wheel sizes with tire sizes. A smaller tire diameter does not provide better traction in the snow. The smaller diameter wheels however are recommended because they increase the tire profile while maintaining the original tire diameter.
Also, it's the narrower tire that does better in the snow.
Like the old Volkswagen beetle that the snow plow drivers used to drive to their snow plows, in the old TV commercials. (You may be too young too have seen that.)
Ah, you are correct my mistake, sorry it's been a while.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:11 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

I still have them listed in the classifieds (thanks for the props, Mud!). They have the Michelin Energy Saver tires on them, so probably less crappy than P-Zeros (or Goodyear Supercars for that matter). Make sure you *don't* have the big GT/V6 PP rotors...the rims may not clear them in the front (no problems in the rear).

PM me if interested!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Same, I have a set of base wheels with the BFG tires (non energy savers) down in Virginia if you are interested. Just need them gone after the brembo swap. I will say that these would be better in the snow than the RE-11s I used in the snow and ice this winter.

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Since we are throwing up our for sale
I got a set of 17" wheels with Blizzak tires.
They have another 2 seasons on them. great tires.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang