5.0 injectors in a 3.7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

5.0 injectors in a 3.7

Gonna be running E85 soon and I was looking to upgrade the injectors. I was gonna get some 96# injectors but I think it's just too high for N/A or even when I procharge the car so I was thinking about possibly putting stock 5.0 injectors in. I heard they are 38# but not sure. Does anyone know exactly what size they are or if they will even fit in the 3.7?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Floridasixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
No stock injectors from a 5.0 won't work for e85. I have a set that will that I can sell you for cheap if you want. They're the ones that come with the pro charger full kit. Anything 47lb and up is good. GT guys have to get the 47lb Ford racing ones

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

And if you buy mine you can save money when you procharge and not have to get injectors

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
No stock injectors from a 5.0 won't work for e85. I have a set that will that I can sell you for cheap if you want. They're the ones that come with the pro charger full kit. Anything 47lb and up is good. GT guys have to get the 47lb Ford racing ones

The procharger ones are 50# right? And how much would you be selling them for

Old 06-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasixer View Post
The procharger ones are 50# right? And how much would you be selling them for

$200 shipped for the 6. Yes they are 50's
Old 06-08-2015, 07:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
i have some basically new AUS 750cc injectors(specifically for the 3.7) with 5 miles on them that i will sell since we're selling injectors here lol

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You'll need to talk to your tuner first, certain tuners will only tune certain injectors they trust.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You'll need to talk to your tuner first, certain tuners will only tune certain injectors they trust.

What injectors are the most reputable?

Old 06-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

For the 3.7, im not sure.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The 90lb injectors I was looking at were DeatschWerks made for the 3.7

http://www.morepowertuning.com/DW-16U-00-0090-6

Old 06-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Be careful, as someone who has designed fuel injection systems, there is such a thing as too much injector. If you are below 15% duty cycle, or over 85% duty cycle, the injector will either not meter properly or burn out quickly (or leak over time).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
Be careful, as someone who has designed fuel injection systems, there is such a thing as too much injector. If you are below 15% duty cycle, or over 85% duty cycle, the injector will either not meter properly or burn out quickly (or leak over time).

How can I check for the duty cycle to ensure I don't do that?

Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Datalog it, injector duty cycle is calculated so it should be a loggable parameter .
Old 06-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If you know the peak airflow and air temp, then you know the mass of air in the cylinder. From that, you can calculate your mass of fuel needed to achieve the afr needed. Then, since that is per rpm, you can calculate how many of those cycles you have in a minute, which will tell you what flow rate is needed for the injector.

Do the same thing for your decel maps, and for an idle map.

This gives your max and min fuel needed (your 85% and 15% values). Pad this a bit on each side if possible.

As you get to higher levels of performance, you may find that you need dual stage injection to maintain the correct flow across the rpm range (little injectors for low rpm and low load, and big ones for high rpm high load).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jande063 View Post
If you know the peak airflow and air temp, then you know the mass of air in the cylinder. From that, you can calculate your mass of fuel needed to achieve the afr needed. Then, since that is per rpm, you can calculate how many of those cycles you have in a minute, which will tell you what flow rate is needed for the injector.

Do the same thing for your decel maps, and for an idle map.

This gives your max and min fuel needed (your 85% and 15% values). Pad this a bit on each side if possible.

As you get to higher levels of performance, you may find that you need dual stage injection to maintain the correct flow across the rpm range (little injectors for low rpm and low load, and big ones for high rpm high load).
Take this, add a little Google and BAM

Stealth 316 - Injector Duty Cycle Calculation

On a side note...
Since direct injection cars cant swap injectors we basically have to add auxiliary fuel systems with stand alone controllers. Designing a fuel curve in this case is a little different since we're basically just pulling fuel out of the maf (basically flat lining the maf after a certain voltage) and putting it back in with the extra injector(s). I know the math to calculate my IPW for a desired G/s of fuel, but i never knew why it was that number you know, its pretty neat to put some perspective to it.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

90 lb injectors can be tuned back for me to run NA right? And not be beyond the 15% and 85% duty cycle? The who reason I want larger injectors besides E85 is that a procharger in the future for me and I want the car to already be prepped and ready for when the supercharger is here.
Almost how parents prep for the arrival of a baby lol

Old 06-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If you have too much injector low speed and idle will suffer. Basically you're running so little of that injector that it doesnt atomize properly and struggles. Some very high end injectors like Injector Dynamics work hard to give the best of both worlds, but you're going to be paying for those.
So its not a matter of "turning it back," its a matter of how it will drive with an injector of a given size due to how much duty cycle you are using.

Again, your best bet is going to be contacting whatever tuner you plan on having tune the vehicle. Chances are they are not going to want to have to design a fuel injector map from scratch ... its basically just math and can be done with a simple spreadsheet (when i get home i can post mine) but that still adds a lot of time and testing to the tuning process, and guess who is going to end up paying for that ...
Old 06-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Hey volt random side track question here but at the height of your mazda how much power was it pushing?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well, when the motor was built we only had one aftermarket head stud at the time, which was the ARP2000. Sadly, it seemed that bolt would let go around 500 whp on our platform, a buddy i tuned had his head lift at 530 and we sprayed coolant all over the car and dyno - luckily the motor was fine - and looking into it other people were having this issue as well. So, sadly, i had enough fuel, turbo, and motor for over 600 but kept it just below 500 due to the headstuds.

The guy that bought my motor when i parted out changed the studs out, and we've since gotten up over 500 whp on his, so so far so good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang