Draining/Refilling coolant - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
Kevin.Cook

Draining/Refilling coolant

Decided to take this upon myself to do so I can learn something. I am draining and refilling the coolant next week. I was looking at the radiator setup and the only entry point I can see right away is to the overflow reservoir? Is this right? I am just trying to figure out where to put the coolant back in. I have the drain part already figured out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150607_112432.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	466.7 KB
ID:	184482  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Yes reservoir is the fill point

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Why are you draining and refilling the coolant? You know the recommended service interval is like 100,000 miles?

Also you'll want to pick up 4 gallons of the Motorcraft premix from Ford.
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

Because I want to. To learn how to do it myself. Unless someone else is going to lend me their car to mess with. LOL.

I don't care about service intervals honestly. That would be boring waiting until 100k miles.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Why are you draining and refilling the coolant? You know the recommended service interval is like 100,000 miles?

Also you'll want to pick up 4 gallons of the Motorcraft premix from Ford.

Don't use that junk. It's just like dexcool for Chevrolet and you know what that does? Rots the radiator lines so in 5 years you'll be buying a radiator
Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

I use Nestle bottled water..... XD
Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Because I want to. To learn how to do it myself. Unless someone else is going to lend me their car to mess with. LOL.

I don't care about service intervals honestly. That would be boring waiting until 100k miles.

I'm at 115,000 miles... I kinda had to. Did the plugs at 98,000 and I would recommend 50k miles.

You'll remove the cap, then the plug at the bottom on the passenger side. It's plastic so take it easy. It won't fully come out though, just hang while it drains. Use DISTILLED water as it's pure water and won't corrode the lines in the radiator. Then once you flush it all out by turning the car on and letting it warm up and the thermostat to open, refill with coolant/distilled water mix. I did mine and within 20 miles needed to add it here and there till it was completely full. Took about an hour.

I used prestone non 50/50 and mixed it myself. 1 gallon of that equals 2 gallons. Or you can buy 2 gallons of 50/50
Old 06-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
First off there are many that recommend flushing the system before adding fresh coolant. This could be by gravity or power flush. But DO NOT subject the system to full hose pressure. Typically a coolant hose should be disconnected and/or get a kit.
Second when running the engine to open thermostat you have to be careful not to run it without water circulating, as this could damage the engine.
You actually never know when all(or most) of the coolant has been drained. And chances are you won't drain the entire 12.4 quarts(3.7L engine) of coolant.
Since Kevin is no where near requiring a coolant change, a flush seems even more unnecessary. However, if you want to insure that all the old stuff is out, a gravity flush using the distilled water would be the way to go.
Just be aware of how much fresh coolant was added. Chances are good that it was not the entire 12.4 quarts that it is suppose to hold. So chances are a coolant strength gauge and some full strength antifreeze will be required to get it to 50/50 or whatever he wants it at.

Edit: Oh ya and do some initial burping. I'd suggest reviewing a few youtube videos. Although I saw a lot that I thought were somewhat misleading because there was no mention of the possibility of water being left after draining.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty much the hell I found out of my flush. I did have the car on and under operating temp and filled with just distilled water and I just kept letting it drain till it because clear.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Pretty much the hell I found out of my flush. I did have the car on and under operating temp and filled with just distilled water and I just kept letting it drain till it because clear.
Sounds good. I was afraid that there was a possibility that he might misinterpret your flush instructions.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

I appreciate all the info!
Old 06-09-2015, 06:45 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Be careful with the drain plug upon reinstall. It's a brittle pos.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Be careful with the drain plug upon reinstall. It's a brittle pos.

$4 fix at autozone. What I've learned here lately is buy excess bolts and hardware you need. You can always return what you don't use
Old 06-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Yeah, if I were changing it that early I wouldn't do a full on flush. Waste of time.

If you're going to do this short of a service interval then just do drain and fills every 30,000 or so miles. After a few of those, you'll have effectively changed all of the coolant.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:12 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Thumbs up Kevin on not waiting till 100k miles because that would be boring. You may be my brotha from anotha motha.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #16
Kevin.Cook

100k is just a guide. Environmental factors and driving habits can change maintenance times.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #17
Kevin.Cook

The line is just a guide, that's all it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1434294821206.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	184850  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang