Throttle is non responsive - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Throttle is non responsive

Recently noticed this in my car.

Before, when coming out from a hard turn, if i were to floor the gas pedal, my car would hard launch into gear. Or even when driving in a straight line, if i floor it, the car launches.

Recently ive noticed its a hit or miss on when the car will hard launch. Sometimes it will, sometimes it wont, instead itll gradually pick up speed although the throttle would be wide open.

Im not sure what is going on, latest mod ive done is a tune. Car is automatic by the way.

Mods consist of: bbk thottle body, short tube headers, 1 piece driveshaft, jlt intake.

It feels like theres a lack of throttle response, like the car is picky about when it wants to hard launch or not.

Im also sitting on stock 2.73's
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Did you try pulling fuse 47 for 15 minutes and taking it for another spin after putting the fuse back in?
Old 06-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Traction control. One of the perks, and curses of an electric throttle body.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Fuse 47 is a temp fix. Who tuned the car?
Old 06-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
You aren't supposed to pull that fuse after a tune
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Yea missed the part that says it was tuned. May need to datalog for whatever tuner you went with. Or you can try turning the traction control off like Voltwings post suggests might be causing it. Dont do it on wet roads though!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Yea missed the part that says it was tuned. May need to datalog for whatever tuner you went with. Or you can try turning the traction control off like Voltwings post suggests might be causing it. Dont do it on wet roads though!
Unless you like ditches lol
Old 06-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Ever went mudding in a Stang? Definitely NOT fun!!!!!! Ask me how I know! LOL
Old 06-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The tune is from MPT

I have not tried it with the traction control off actually.

I will give it a shot tonight after work and ill come back with results

Thank you guys.
RomanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The traction control can only be fully turned off in the tune, just pushing the button keeps it from being overly intrusive, which it is. Should be enough to gun it out of a corner though.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
You aren't supposed to pull that fuse after a tune
First I've heard of that. I haven't had any issues pulling fuse #47 while tuned. Tell me more, I would love to know
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Ever went mudding in a Stang? Definitely NOT fun!!!!!! Ask me how I know! LOL

i took my 98 v6 mudding once, out did some jeeps too because i glided across the mud lol
Old 06-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The traction control can only be fully turned off in the tune, just pushing the button keeps it from being overly intrusive, which it is. Should be enough to gun it out of a corner though.
I thought if you were at a stop with your foot on the brake and the button pressed for 5 seconds, completely turns off everything? If not is the tuner able to disable it or the tune itself?

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I thought if you were at a stop with your foot on the brake and the button pressed for 5 seconds, completely turns off everything? If not is the tuner able to disable it or the tune itself?

Sent from LG G3.
That's exactly what I've done on occasion and it works for me.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
First I've heard of that. I haven't had any issues pulling fuse #47 while tuned. Tell me more, I would love to know
Ask your tuner, they advise against it.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Ask your tuner, they advise against it.
Can you elaborate more? Is that what your tuner told you? It only resets the adaptive shifting in automatics regardless of stock or aftermarket tune. So how does it hurt the tune?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Can you elaborate more? Is that what your tuner told you? It only resets the adaptive shifting in automatics regardless of stock or aftermarket tune. So how does it hurt the tune?
Most tunes alter the effects of adaptive tuning. Like Bama and mpt
Old 06-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Most tunes alter the effects of adaptive tuning. Like Bama and mpt
From all my research on this and other forums before I finally pulled the trigger for my MPT tune, no tuner company has been able to override the adaptive shifting in an automatic. I certainly would like to know which tune company has successfully done this. This, I think, would be considered huge news. Anyone?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
From all my research on this and other forums before I finally pulled the trigger for my MPT tune, no tuner company has been able to override the adaptive shifting in an automatic. I certainly would like to know which tune company has successfully done this. This, I think, would be considered huge news. Anyone?
Dude I'm not trying to argue here. Just listening to what I was told by a tuning company. Also didn't say that it overides it.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Dude I'm not trying to argue here. Just listening to what I was told by a tuning company. Also didn't say that it overides it.
Please don't be confused with my questions. I'm not arguing with you at all, I'm actually trying to learn something from you. That's why I asked you to elaborate and tell what you know. I'm only trying to understand how resetting adaptive shifting would hurt a tune. You said it with such authority, I thought you had first hand knowledge. My bad.

BTW, do you remember the name of the tuner company that told you this? I'd like to know.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Please don't be confused with my questions. I'm not arguing with you at all, I'm actually trying to learn something from you. That's why I asked you to elaborate and tell what you know. I'm only trying to understand how resetting adaptive shifting would hurt a tune. You said it with such authority, I thought you had first hand knowledge. My bad.

BTW, do you remember the name of the tuner company that told you this? I'd like to know.
Bama said this
Old 06-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Bama said this
That's totally awesome that Bama has solved the adaptive shifting issue in automatics! Is there anyone reading this thread that can verify that Bama has done this? I truly would like to know.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
That's totally awesome that Bama has solved the adaptive shifting issue in automatics! Is there anyone reading this thread that can verify that Bama has done this? I truly would like to know.
They didn't solve it, they altered the "adaptiveness" I guess you could say. Alex was talking about it in another thread. You can message him and probably get more info
Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I would have guessed, based on many people saying that the tunes require a certain break-in before you really feel them, that the fuse reset might reset the tunes learning as well. Total speculation, of course.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
They didn't solve it, they altered the "adaptiveness" I guess you could say. Alex was talking about it in another thread. You can message him and probably get more info
Would you happen to know the link to that thread?
Old 06-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Back to OP's problem...I believe as Voltwings has already mentioned, the problem may be associated with the Stability Control system.
As the Owners Manual says...
"Button pressed and held more than 5 seconds; brakes applied;"
Will disable both the Stability Control System(ESC) and the Traction Control, which are both part of the ADVANCETRAC system.
Soooo I think the OP should try disabling the ESC and see if that makes a difference.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I would have guessed, based on many people saying that the tunes require a certain break-in before you really feel them, that the fuse reset might reset the tunes learning as well. Total speculation, of course.
When I loaded my MPT tune, there was no break in at all. The difference between stock and the new tune was definitely apparent. It took me about 50 miles to adjust to the new shifting and how to drive the car properly since the car became more responsive and a hell of a lot more fun to drive. Adaptive shifting adapts to your driving habits accordingly and can get sluggish depending on how you drive your car. Most people don't care for this and neither do I. From what I've researched thus far, the tune doesn't learn anything, it's the adaptive shifting system by Ford hard wired into the CPU that does the learning. But if Bama has a way around this, I'd be interested in finding out more. Oh, and sorry, I really hadn't intended to jack this thread. I'll go see if I can find my answer elsewhere on the forum. Thanks anyway.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Would you happen to know the link to that thread?
I think this is the one.
Had a strange occurance after pulling fuse #47
Post #12
Old 06-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I think this is the one.
Had a strange occurance after pulling fuse #47
Post #12
Cool, thanks
Old 06-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I loaded my MPT tune, there was no break in at all. The difference between stock and the new tune was definitely apparent. It took me about 50 miles to adjust to the new shifting and how to drive the car properly since the car became more responsive and a hell of a lot more fun to drive. Adaptive shifting adapts to your driving habits accordingly and can get sluggish depending on how you drive your car. Most people don't care for this and neither do I. From what I've researched thus far, the tune doesn't learn anything, it's the adaptive shifting system by Ford hard wired into the CPU that does the learning. But if Bama has a way around this, I'd be interested in finding out more.
Yeah to be honest I've heard peoples reaction to a tune was immediate but many say it takes a few miles. But I guess like many things here, there's always a difference in opinions. I can understand that and gather all the info I can and come to my own opinions.
It's funny because I know many have adapted that wired in relay system that automatically resets the fuse at, I believe, every start-up.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:45 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

I think the difference in all of my tunes has always been immediate. The idle is what smoothed out a bit after a few miles. When I first got my mpt tune the idle would fluctuate ever so slightly. Now it is rock solid
Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Op try this and thank me later, put your car back to stock and put the tune back in.. The sluggishness will be gone but this is only a temporary fix since it will go back to being sluggish again. I do this from time to time when I want my car to feel fast again.. Too bad there is no permanent fix for this. This is basing in my experience and I have Mpt and automatic Trans.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think the difference in all of my tunes has always been immediate. The idle is what smoothed out a bit after a few miles. When I first got my mpt tune the idle would fluctuate ever so slightly. Now it is rock solid
Good info!
I'm really dragging my feet on doing/getting a lot of this stuff but I'm having a lot of fun learning about it all.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Diehard;
I posted in that other thread that I checked in with MPT about the fuse 47 pull and the adaptive learning system. But I hadn't realized until I posted that that is a V8 GT thread. I'm not sure if that makes any difference, but I'll let you know what MPT says here in the V6 forum. Come to think of it, that's why I never saw that thread since I'm always in the V6 forum. Stay tuned.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Diehard;
I posted in that other thread that I checked in with MPT about the fuse 47 pull and the adaptive learning system. But I hadn't realized until I posted that that is a V8 GT thread. I'm not sure if that makes any difference, but I'll let you know what MPT says here in the V6 forum. Come to think of it, that's why I never saw that thread since I'm always in the V6 forum. Stay tuned.
I wouldn't think it would make a difference but I look forward to mpts response

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang