Installed Roush Axles Backs.. Too raspy? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Installed Roush Axles Backs.. Too raspy?

Hey Everyone! My name is Darryn, I'm brand new to the forums and own a 2014 3.7 which I have plans to start heavily modifying very quickly.. I own an automotive based business in which this will be a show car for so should be fun!

This past weekend I installed the Roush Axle Back exhaust but in my opinion it's just too raspy.. I am looking for anyone who has felt the same way after installing this exhaust and looking to see what you may have done to rectify the issue? Or am I just crazy and expecting too much out of a V6?

I attached two videos for reference. 'IMG_7064' is higher revs and 'IMG_7065' is cold start (which sounds good). Any opinions would be appreciated!
Attached Files
- Roush Axle Back Exhaust
- 19" GT Track Pack Wheels
www.MotorMavericks.com
MotorMavericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I don't own them but have heard them. I can tell you they're not for me. Some people really like them though.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have them. Loved the sound at first. Then the rasp got anoying. I added a set of shorty headers and wow. Love the sound absolutely love it. Have not heard another v6 song so beautiful to my ears.

Keep in mind everyone likes different tones but for me the addition of shorty headers to the roush ab was the cats pajamas. .

I have heard the Borla ataks with headers and those would be my number two option

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I don't own them but have heard them. I can tell you they're not for me. Some people really like them though.
Thanks for the input! I have someone lined up to buy them already so may swap them out, just wanting to get more opinions.. Any suggestions on what setup might sound better for a more deep muscle car rumble and little to no rasp?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Keep in mind there 100s of options out there. Each one will cost you 100s too . I've heard a select few 20-25 set ups in person and love mine the best. But hey everyone likes there set up best right?

Old 06-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
I have them. Loved the sound at first. Then the rasp got anoying. I added a set of shorty headers and wow. Love the sound absolutely love it. Have not heard another v6 song so beautiful to my ears.

Keep in mind everyone likes different tones but for me the addition of shorty headers to the roush ab was the cats pajamas. .

I have heard the Borla ataks with headers and those would be my number two option

Thanks for the input! Do you happen to have a video?
www.MotorMavericks.com
Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

FYI the headers did reduce rasp and defiantly made it deeper. She will never sound like a v8 so don't try. But you can make them sound incredibly mean. With the rite exhaust your car will turn heads at every light

Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
American muscle used to do sound clips for basically all of the axle backs they sell. Go on there and listen. That's how I chose after a lot of sound clips. It really helped a lot. There will be videos for basically any setup you choose.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Or at least it will provide options to check out on YouTube to help with the decision.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No I don't have a video. I truly feel that people need to listen in person because videos don't do them justice. My phone makes my car sound choppy as ****. But it's not.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMavericks View Post
Thanks for the input! I have someone lined up to buy them already so may swap them out, just wanting to get more opinions.. Any suggestions on what setup might sound better for a more deep muscle car rumble and little to no rasp?
For me, one of the best I've heard so far is the Mac Axle Back. There wasn't any rasp but they do drone. I don't mind some drone, but the Mac had more than I like. They do sound we some though.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
It's funny but I didn't think they sounded that raspy, at all. Especially that 2nd video. And that's coming from a guy with probably the most conservative after market set-up.
Borla Touring; BBK shorties and MAX ProChamber (with stock cats) mid-pipe.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #13
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
The word on the street is that the Roush mellow out with time.

Put a thousand miles on them and then see how you feel.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

^ so true. It'll quiten down some and not sound so "tingy".
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:14 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I put 4k on my roush and they are still loud as hell. I told my wife to meet me outside as I was leaving the store and she said she heard me the whole way home. I'm only a block away and I was not flooring it, I was driving like old lady. She smiled because she likes them but I can't imagine what other people think when I wot it.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

They don't really quiet down but there tone changes after roughly 1000-1500 miles. They loose some rasp but ultimately the factor for me was the shorty headers. I went with bbk but don't recommend them. If you go bbk plan on grinding on all of there welds and welding them back up before install. I'm a weld inspector for a living and every weld on mine were garbage. Full of cracks. But I fixed the welds and they sound great now.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Oh also they use the wrong welding rod to weld them up. I used a pmi gun. (Positive material identification)

Old 06-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
It's funny but I didn't think they sounded that raspy, at all. Especially that 2nd video. And that's coming from a guy with probably the most conservative after market set-up.
Borla Touring; BBK shorties and MAX ProChamber (with stock cats) mid-pipe.
I'm going to take another video today at different RPMs to try to catch the sound a little better.. Cold start (2nd video) does sound amazing but the higher RPMs sound raspy to me.. Then again, I might be crazy. I appreciate the input!

If I do keep these axle backs I'll probably also do BBK Shorties and aftermarket H-Pipe which should help.
www.MotorMavericks.com
Old 06-10-2015, 08:25 AM   #19

Quote:
They don't really quiet down but there tone changes after roughly 1000-1500 miles. They loose some rasp but ultimately the factor for me was the shorty headers. I went with bbk but don't recommend them. If you go bbk plan on grinding on all of there welds and welding them back up before install. I'm a weld inspector for a living and every weld on mine were garbage. Full of cracks. But I fixed the welds and they sound great now.

These are already broken in, I bought them off of someone.

Any other header recommendations?
www.MotorMavericks.com
Old 06-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Start with just the headers. Might save you the cost of an h pipe if u like the sound. The bbk you should really grind those welds and have it re welded though. Just a heads up

Old 06-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Start with just the headers. Might save you the cost of an h pipe if u like the sound. The bbk you should really grind those welds and have it re welded though. Just a heads up

Thoughts on the MAC headers? They're on sale and I love a discount! One bad review on AM but all the rest are good.

MAC Chrome Shorty Mustang Headers 31405 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping
www.MotorMavericks.com
Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thoughts on the MAC headers? They're on sale and I love a discount! One bad review on AM but all the rest are good.

MAC Chrome Shorty Mustang Headers 31405 (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping
BBK are 50 state legal and the Mac are not. Quality isn't bad. If being legal doesn't matter Mac is fine.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have not tried them but there worth a shot I love the tone of the bbk just not the quality.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:46 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

The only state that really cAres about that is California. The water in California causes cancer. So let's think about it. I think the Mac headers will be just fine lol. Damn California

Old 06-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #25

After hours of videos + review reading + replies on this thread this morning it seems like the BBK Headers are a pain in the *** to install (I'll have a shop do it) but seems like most everyone is happy with the resulting sound, including several reviews from people with the same axle backs I have..

Has anyone here been UNHAPPY with their BBKs?
www.MotorMavericks.com
Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
After hours of videos + review reading + replies on this thread this morning it seems like the BBK Headers are a pain in the *** to install (I'll have a shop do it) but seems like most everyone is happy with the resulting sound, including several reviews from people with the same axle backs I have..

Has anyone here been UNHAPPY with their BBKs?
You were looking at the MAC CHROME headers which are cheaper than the ceramic.
The preferred, by most are the ceramic due to insulating quality and heat reduction.
Best deal for the BBK is typically from autoanything
BBK Headers, BBK Performance Exhaust Headers - Installations & Reviews
Schroll down to the 3.7L V6 version.

BTW-No problems or complaints with mine(other than accessing that last nut).
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
You were looking at the MAC CHROME headers which are cheaper than the ceramic.
The preferred, by most are the ceramic due to insulating quality and heat reduction.
Best deal for the BBK is typically from autoanything
BBK Headers, BBK Performance Exhaust Headers - Installations & Reviews
Schroll down to the 3.7L V6 version.

BTW-No problems or complaints with mine(other than accessing that last nut).
Yes after further research I did decide to go with ceramics.. Have you ever ordered from that website 'AutoAnything'? They're ringing up $40 cheaper than AM which is great but I have no experience with them. I appreciate your continued input!

2014 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 BBK Headers, BBK Performance Exhaust Headers - Installations & Reviews
www.MotorMavericks.com
Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes after further research I did decide to go with ceramics.. Have you ever ordered from that website 'AutoAnything'? They're ringing up $40 cheaper than AM which is great but I have no experience with them. I appreciate your continued input!

2014 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 BBK Headers, BBK Performance Exhaust Headers - Installations & Reviews
That's where I got mine. Also, a few people have recently got theirs from them as well. They generally have discounts for first time customers and/or for signing up for their ads. Some have had good luck by calling them and asking about discount and receiving it that way.
Good luck.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Im happy with my BBK headers so far. Both BBK and Mac are very close to where I live in Socal so both tend to be more popular. Mac is a company who makes a really decent product, however some times its hit or miss. Some people love them some people hate them, I like them. Ive never had an issue. I could say the same for BBK. Id say just for saving a few bucks Id go with Mac. Gains and sound will be very close to being equal so you might as well save a few bucks.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Im happy with my BBK headers so far. Both BBK and Mac are very close to where I live in Socal so both tend to be more popular. Mac is a company who makes a really decent product, however some times its hit or miss. Some people love them some people hate them, I like them. Ive never had an issue. I could say the same for BBK. Id say just for saving a few bucks Id go with Mac. Gains and sound will be very close to being equal so you might as well save a few bucks.
Don't think the MAC price will be cheaper than autoanything BBK price.
But one thing for sure is the MAC's are easier to install.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I really like the sound my BBK shorties with my FRPP axle backs make, but I have to agree with prima about weld quality. I ordered them from AM and the first passenger side header (the one that is SO much harder to put on) had a leak in the collector. I got a new one through AM (great customer service) and that one was ok. But recently i bottomed out on a speed bump type thing going very slowly and the driver side header cracked almost completely around on a weld near the collector. I had it re-welded by a local exhaust shop and put it back on, and now it sounds better/cleaner. I'm pretty sure there was a small leak there the whole time....
rgstelzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

How about a vid Sir. I'm curious to the sound. Also are you running with out without catts

Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:32 PM   #33

Another quick video at higher RPMs..
Attached Files
www.MotorMavericks.com
Old 06-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgstelzner View Post
I really like the sound my BBK shorties with my FRPP axle backs make, but I have to agree with prima about weld quality. I ordered them from AM and the first passenger side header (the one that is SO much harder to put on) had a leak in the collector. I got a new one through AM (great customer service) and that one was ok. But recently i bottomed out on a speed bump type thing going very slowly and the driver side header cracked almost completely around on a weld near the collector. I had it re-welded by a local exhaust shop and put it back on, and now it sounds better/cleaner. I'm pretty sure there was a small leak there the whole time....
Definitely concerned with the weld quality on the BBKs after hearing from you, Prima and others but I can't find much info on the macs which is also concerning.. I definitely don't want to have to go through getting these put on just to have to take them off from cracking or for leaks.
www.MotorMavericks.com
Old 06-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Another quick video at higher RPMs..
To be honest I don't really think it sounds that bad. Our cars by nature will always be a little "raspy" in the higher RPM range. How bad do you think these drone?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang