Stock H/X pipe - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Well that's good to know. I'm getting crap for saying stock was 2.25. It is 2.25 all the way. As for getting rid of the cats or even getting hi flow, I can't because of California. So resonators are built into the x/h? So if I just get larger piping say 2.5 in besides the Ota piping it should be good. Also how does everyone feel about the h making like a backwards v versus straight h.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post
Well that's good to know. I'm getting crap for saying stock was 2.25. It is 2.25 all the way. As for getting rid of the cats or even getting hi flow, I can't because of California. So resonators are built into the x/h? So if I just get larger piping say 2.5 in besides the Ota piping it should be good. Also how does everyone feel about the h making like a backwards v versus straight h.

From what he was just saying the stock cats are your restriction point. most anything you do past that point is mostly going to affect the sound. you will free up a little flow by going up to a 2.5" exhaust a little and there will be a small numerical gain and feel down low, but all in all its again mostly a sound change.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yes the cats are restrictive and so are the resonators right after the cats. They are very small.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2015, 01:04 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang View Post
Yes the cats are restrictive and so are the resonators right after the cats. They are very small.

Why not replace them with a set of GT cats and resonators?
Wouldnt they be a little less restrictive on a V6 since they are on a 5.0?
Old 06-21-2015, 01:06 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Slot of welding involved. The stock pipes don't fit directly onto the v6 so you would have to mod it. And the cats are not much different. Same cell count so not much of an increase in flow

Old 06-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Clear this up for me. Thus guy is saying stock mud pipe is 2.5 in before the x/h and 2.25 by the Ota exit. Is that true?

Old 06-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

No the stock pipe size is 2.25. If you get a new x pipe and mid pipes and axle backs....they will be 2.5

Old 06-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

The X hybrid unit on the stock pipe looks big but it is basically a muffler box that has the 2.25" piping feeding into and out of.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1434915070091.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	185466  
Old 06-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I thought this guy is full of it.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post
Also how does everyone feel about the h making like a backwards v versus straight h.
Was wondering the same thing.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:36 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Slot of welding involved. The stock pipes don't fit directly onto the v6 so you would have to mod it. And the cats are not much different. Same cell count so not much of an increase in flow

I had a GT H pipe installed in 10 mins. In Ca most every shop can do this for you for under $100.
Quote:
H pipes sounds good....until its above 3k rpm then it sound like a million pissed off bumble bees

I think you might be confusing the H pipe with the X pipe. H sounds great down low all the way up to red line. I have yet to hear a good sounding X pipe above 3k rpm. Too much rasp. Unless of course you removed your cats and resonators at which point ANY mid pipe will sound like a can of pissed off bees lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT227 View Post
Was wondering the same thing.
No idea. I think it will make less of a difference than if you added a BOSS mid pipe with side exits (they side exits are baffled so its not just a set of open dump pipes FYI). I still want to know how that would sound on a V6 BTW...
Old 06-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

You should read the posts. I was talking about catless h pipes. All the mid pipes sound fine with cats and mufflers. I have a fully unrestricted exhaust setup. Plus Modding a gt pipe costs around 100$ plus the cost of the pipe and shipping. By that time just get an aftermarket pipe that actually adds performance. The gt pipe won't do much for gains unless if has the cats removed, still not as good as a smooth piped exhaust from start to finish.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You should read the posts. I was talking about catless h pipes. All the mid pipes sound fine with cats and mufflers. I have a fully unrestricted exhaust setup. Plus Modding a gt pipe costs around 100$ plus the cost of the pipe and shipping. By that time just get an aftermarket pipe that actually adds performance. The gt pipe won't do much for gains unless if has the cats removed, still not as good as a smooth piped exhaust from start to finish.

Yeah, I just noticed that. I dont know. I hear what yore saying and agree about 80%. I really dont think having it custom is any better than the GTs when they are close to the same size. I do agrre with the cats and the resonators and if they are indeed 1.75" INSIDE then Im going to get mine swapped for a larger set of 2.5"s. From personal experience the GT pipe did good. it could have just been the larger size but even my buddie could feel a difference when he drove it and I didnt tell him when I had it installed.

Youve had your car datalogged right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang