about to bite bullet on supercharger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-11-2015, 06:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
about to bite bullet on supercharger

After weeks and weeks of researching, emailing, asking questions, looking at videos, I'm convinced. Seems everyone has nothing but excellent things to say when it comes to ATI's procharger supercharger.
I will list prices for those of you also thinking of doing it:
$4700 for tuner kit, 250 for 60 lb injectors, 665 for AL DS, and roughly 1700 for installation of SC, DS, and custom tune.
I've asked that I'll be happy at 400 rwhp, and that 6psi should be plenty for it.
For those out there who have these systems installed, are the prices fair and please list and off and on again issues (if any).
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I was also considering a procharger, but after some discussion with my wife about cost ect she says to just get a 5.0 when the time is right. Who am i to argue......

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I hate to say it but I might too. I've had the money but I've been waiting on someone to build a decent turbo kit but nothing so I might end up w a sc just don't like how low the tq is, barely better than a 5.0
Lan_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan_Evo View Post
I hate to say it but I might too. I've had the money but I've been waiting on someone to build a decent turbo kit but nothing so I might end up w a sc just don't like how low the tq is, barely better than a 5.0

"low" torque is perspective, "useable" torque is not. It may not be a dyno queen number, but the procharger has a nice, useable powerband.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

400 hp and 400 torque not good enough?

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 06-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
400 hp and 400 torque not good enough?

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers
400 is plenty! I might wait until my 13 is paid off and then buy a 14 5.0 and start building on that one and let my boys fight over the 3.7 lol.

Sent from LG G3.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The thought that enters my mind is, when/if you guys get a GT are you going to add performance boosters? And then maybe think about a GT500 instead?
I think there's a lot to be said for a 400 HP V6.
Just thinking out loud.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
The thought that enters my mind is, when/if you guys get a GT are you going to add performance boosters? And then maybe think about a GT500 instead?
Just thinking out loud.
You'll never get close to your money back out of it.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just thinking out loud.
There will always be something bigger and faster no matter what you build off of. GT 500 guys might say Lambo or Bugatti .... There's a lot to be said of a stock 420 hp 5.0. Just thinking out loud....lol
Its whatever your budget will allow. Mine doesn't allow for a GT 500.

But if one day it does then hell yeah bring on a GT 500! :thumbup:
Sent from LG G3.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

400hp and 400tq would be nice but I haven't seen too many make close to 400 rwtq...
Old 06-11-2015, 08:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
There will always be something bigger and faster no matter what you build off of. GT 500 guys might say Lambo or Bugatti .... There's a lot to be said of a stock 420 hp 5.0. Just thinking out loud....lol
But one day if it does than hell ya bring on a GT 500!
Its whatever your budget will allow. Mine doesn't allow for a GT 500.
Sent from LG G3.
When I got my V6 I could had easily got a GT but didn't feel I needed it and would prefer to mod a 6 a bit. But now I'm having 2nd thoughts but it's only because of the exhaust sound. LOL
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #12

Region: Florida
Also debating between Supercharging my 3.7 or just buying a '12 5.0 that's on the market right now.. Just buying the 5.0 sounds good but building a super charged 3.7 would be a hell of a lot more unique.. Still truly undecided.
- Roush Axle Back Exhaust
- 19" GT Track Pack Wheels
www.MotorMavericks.com
MotorMavericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Like people have said before there are a lot of fast gts but not many supercharged v6s perfect sleeper

Old 06-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

If I had to choose I'd supercharge the 3.7. I think it's pretty unique.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Just thinking out loud.
That's true but the difference is the V6 and the GT are closer in price then a base GT and the GT500. Like you said its all in what you want. I went with the V6 because it was good on gas, fun to drive, and right now I dont have time for the track. Everyone makes their decisions for different reasons. But if I ever got to the point of wanting 400+ HP I would strongly consider the benefits of selling my car and buying a 5.0. With the GT you have that HP with an OEM setup so less likely to have reliability issues. Really the only 'benefit' of the S/C'ed V6 is the 'unique' aspect which in all honestly compared to S/C'ed mustang V8's it may be rare but really isn't that uncommon.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
If I had to choose I'd supercharge the 3.7. I think it's pretty unique.

Right on. Like someone said if I'd bought 5.0 who knows how much more money id invested. Only real concern is reliability of supercharger.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Right on. Like someone said if I'd bought 5.0 who knows how much more money id invested. Only real concern is reliability of supercharger.

it's been pretty reliable... the car drive like stock

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I'll throw a wrench in everyone's system. Just saw an Ecoboost make 501 whp / 464 wtq - stock engine, stock fuel system, just a bolt on turbo / downpipe / intercooler and pump gas / race gas blend tune. $25k car + 5k turbo kit ... that's a budget killer right there.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky

Good God, I knew those little engines were stout! I never thought with those few upgrades it would be making that much power. Man, I bet that little 4 would surprise a lot of people on the street and at the track. Does it come with forged internals from Ford?

Adventure till you drop
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yup, they did a full tear down over on SVTp and the general consensus was that motor is up to SVT standards. Its solid.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:01 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
My last car was supercharged and it seems like you are doing your homework. Everyone is different but most of us get the HP bug and its crazy how we say we only want this much but when we get there we want more! I started just SC low boost, then added boost, then added TQ/C and meth, then added cam, DS and gears. It cost me more getting there in steps so my two cents would be give alot opf thought to what you really want to end up with and work to that to save on double work like I did.. Good luck and have fun,,
Smoked50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

That 4 banger would make a great track toy.

Adventure till you drop
Old 06-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I'll throw a wrench in everyone's system. Just saw an Ecoboost make 501 whp / 464 wtq - stock engine, stock fuel system, just a bolt on turbo / downpipe / intercooler and pump gas / race gas blend tune. $25k car + 5k turbo kit ... that's a budget killer right there.
I take it you're talking about the MAPerformance kit, yeah I've seen that and those numbers are just too sick.

And I'm not out to make the most power but I figured 400/400 would be more than enough but who knows at this rate if a decent turbo kit doesn't come out I may just upgrade to a 11-12 gt500 out in texas they are starting to drop under the 40g range and thats not too bad.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan_Evo View Post
I take it you're talking about the MAPerformance kit, yeah I've seen that and those numbers are just too sick.

And I'm not out to make the most power but I figured 400/400 would be more than enough but who knows at this rate if a decent turbo kit doesn't come out I may just upgrade to a 11-12 gt500 out in texas they are starting to drop under the 40g range and thats not too bad.
Yeah, the MAP kit.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Well ????

sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Got a little side tracked ended up in Tennessee for weekend going back to SoCal this afternoon will order parts tomorrow

Old 06-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ya as long as the procharger is CARB legal (and I read some here in CA are running it) I'm definitely all in on sc my car with this same kit. Doing all the support mods b4 tho. I just hope my 4.10s aren't too much cuz I love them. Really wakes the car up
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

They will be, waaayy too much. Stick or auto? Auto may be able to manage, but no way in a stick lol.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
They will be, waaayy too much. Stick or auto? Auto may be able to manage, but no way in a stick lol.
Ya my car is automatic. Hopefully it'll be ok. I almost wish I had gone with 3.73s but I'm always in good power curve so lol
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I say go for the SC, 400 HP is solid for the street and enough to beat up on stock GT's.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
3.31 or 3.55 are perfect for sc and turbo applications. It allows the car to use that 400hp vs just constantly shredding tired and shifting gears. Now a sc 4.10 burnout is pretty bada** but if it's not grippin it ain't a rippin.

Most drag cars will run 3.31 just as a reference for sc. Turbos. Etc.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:00 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
You gonna run 4.10s FI you're gonna have a bad time.
I run 3.31 on my auto and it's perfect.

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-23-2015, 07:43 AM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

The Roush drag pack cars do pretty good with 4.10s and the M90. Given they do have some other mods to them...

Adventure till you drop.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
You gonna run 4.10s FI you're gonna have a bad time.
I run 3.31 on my auto and it's perfect.

Not necessarily, depends in your setup. I run 4.10's and make over 700

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Not necessarily, depends in your setup. I run 4.10's and make over 700

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
If he's just bolting on a pro charger and that's it, I wouldn't recommend anything more than 3.73; especially with a manual. You know what youre doing and can fine tune it exactly how you like it, for the average Joe they just pop it on and go. If you're DDing the 3.7 with a pro charger with 4.10s first is gone pretty much and could be pretty annoying.... But if you want a track beast, then yeah you could work around it for sure. What size bottle are you running now? I haven't been on here a lot I missed your build updates I know you said you were changing them

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang