Welp, the paint on my hood has finally started to go. >> - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Lava Red Metallic. Probably in the same ballpark as you
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #37
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
What percentage of hoods is this happening to? I have a 13 and no issues at all. Just trying to get a handle on what to look for if it starts.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Most bubbles start on the underside of the hood along the front or side edges. I would examine those areas carefully. If you see bubbles on the underside that you can scrape off with your fingernail, you will find them filled with white powder. The corrosion appears to stop when the aluminum is exposed to air, otherwise it continues to grow under the paint and it may spread to the top. I had about 6 of them only under the hood and they have not grown since I scraped them and none have spread to the top. I have my fingers crossed.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 04:48 PM   #39
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
Most bubbles start on the underside of the hood along the front or side edges. I would examine those areas carefully. If you see bubbles on the underside that you can scrape off with your fingernail, you will find them filled with white powder. The corrosion appears to stop when the aluminum is exposed to air, otherwise it continues to grow under the paint and it may spread to the top. I had about 6 of them only under the hood and they have not grown since I scraped them and none have spread to the top. I have my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out when I get home from work
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 06-17-2015, 06:59 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out when I get home from work
eh might be better not to lol ignorance is def bliss.

this happens to pretty much 9/10 mustangs between the early 2000's to now. i was so mad when my brand new '14 had it. ugh. but oh well. no car is ever perfect.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:00 AM   #41
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Jay is well medicated
Old 06-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #42
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
eh might be better not to lol ignorance is def bliss.
lol, hope you don't feel that way about your breaks, transmission and engine
Old 06-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #43
Staff

Regular
Staff

is the trunk aluminum? (too lazy to test)
Old 06-18-2015, 11:21 AM   #44
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
is the trunk aluminum? (too lazy to test)

I know the trunk and hood are aluminum. And I believe I read somewhere that the roof is too.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

My 2012 trunk is steel and so is the roof. Magnets don't lie.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #46
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My 2012 trunk is steel and so is the roof. Magnets don't lie.

I stand corrected. I just did the magnet test too.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:11 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Some here have sworn that their trunks are aluminum, I wonder if they changed in 2013 or 14? Given the problems with hoods, I'm glad my trunk is steel.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Jay is well medicated
lol shutup 😝

I just finally got over the fact that no car is perfect lol

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Old 06-18-2015, 01:41 PM   #49
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Some here have sworn that their trunks are aluminum, I wonder if they changed in 2013 or 14? Given the problems with hoods, I'm glad my trunk is steel.
I'll have to check mine. I had assumed aluminum. If it's steel, that's bad news if Ford can't make paint stick to it either.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #50
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have a 14 and I just stuck a magnet to the trunk and roof.

Didn't stick to the hood.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #51
Registered Member

Regular

Of course I put a magnet in my pocket earlier today to check the trunk lid, but forgot to do it! LOL. Memory's the first thing to go.

Called up a recommended local dealer initially to ask about the airbag recall, but also asked them about the hood and trunk lid. The guy I got on the phone happened to be the guy who handles all these paint issues (apparently he is pretty busy, and mentioned an additional 2-3 Ford models that develop the same problem, so it sounds like a much bigger problem than just our cars). He said that Ford is pretty good at saying no if you are outside of the 3/36 unless there are demonstrable holes in the metal. He also was fairly certain the trunk lid was aluminum.

I'll probably take it by on the way to work tomorrow for them to take photos and see how far I can get with Ford. The trunk lid is actually less bad than the hood in terms of paint bubbling, but there is a suspicious corroded hole at one corner, so it might be the better candidate for warranty fix.

If they deny me for the hood, I think it may be Cervini Cobra R time.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
Old 06-19-2015, 01:09 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

You need to check what is inside one of those "bubbles" on your trunk. If it is not full of red rust then you might have the only aluminum trunk lid made. They would not have switched from steel in the middle of a model run IMO. The hood bubbles are filled with aluminum oxide powder which is pure white.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:32 AM   #53
Registered Member

Regular

^ I'll let the guy at the dealership do that tomorrow, so if it flakes off, its his fault...j/k. The corrosion does look rust-colored, but the primer coat is a rusty-colored brown, so hard to tell...I should remember to test with the magnet for real this time.

If steel, I would think a repaint would have a better chance of holding up vs. repaint of a contaminated aluminum part. That said, I'd much prefer a new component.

I'm liking fiberglass for the hood more and more...
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 06-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #54
Registered Member

Regular

Welp, Ford has denied both the hood and trunk repair under corrosion warranty. Apparently a hole through the metal on the inside of the trunk lid is not "perforation." I think Ford just likes to use whatever excuse they can to weasel out of having to address this known issue.

I'll keep pushing them, but since the hood is in worse shape, anybody in MA know of body shops that have experience dealing with painting and installing the Cobra R hoods? My local body shop is more of an OE-only type of place and doesn't really touch aftermarket stuff.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:38 AM   #55
Staff

Regular
Staff

T,

A Yankee Farmer idea.....if I remember you put a lot of miles on your car. Why not just wrap the hood in either black or CF vinyl wrap? It'll last the few years till you get rid of it for $200-300?

I ended up doing the magnet test....Hood only is aluminum.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #56
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
T,

A Yankee Farmer idea.....if I remember you put a lot of miles on your car. Why not just wrap the hood in either black or CF vinyl wrap? It'll last the few years till you get rid of it for $200-300?

I ended up doing the magnet test....Hood only is aluminum.
In a few years, I'll probably have to pay somebody else $200 to take the car off my hands...LOL.

That's definitely an idea! That said, I'm hoping to keep the car a while (and will have a much shorter commute with a new job in the fall, some mileage will go way down), and I'm not inclined to spend another cent on a hood that's going to get worse eventually.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Welp, Ford has denied both the hood and trunk repair under corrosion warranty. Apparently a hole through the metal on the inside of the trunk lid is not "perforation." I think Ford just likes to use whatever excuse they can to weasel out of having to address this known issue.

I'll keep pushing them, but since the hood is in worse shape, anybody in MA know of body shops that have experience dealing with painting and installing the Cobra R hoods? My local body shop is more of an OE-only type of place and doesn't really touch aftermarket stuff.
You can get the Cobra R hood direct from Cervini pre painted. They are based in NJ.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #58
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
You can get the Cobra R hood direct from Cervini pre painted. They are based in NJ.
Yeah, but I'm worried if the fitment isn't perfect or the color's a bit off, I'll be in a pickle. Although it costs a little more, I'd prefer to have a shop fit it on the car, then prep/paint for the best fit.

Then I can dump the stock hood. What's the scrap value of aluminum per pound these days?

As to the vinyl wrap, I think to get it to look good might mean paying a guy to put it on (I've tried putting the clear bra stuff on, and darn near killed myself doing it and still had some bubbles and wrinkles), so it might not be as huge a savings as I had first thought.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #59
Staff

Regular
Staff

have I suggested rear ending someone yet?
Old 06-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #60
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
have I suggested rear ending someone yet?
Might mess up the bumper.

Have to get a tree branch to fall on *just* the hood.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:35 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I took mine in to the dealer Tuesday and got denied today. I was told that there must be a hole through the metal. Normally this dealership is very reliable. I went to a shop I deal with. He would not work on it because he is familiar with the problem. If any work is done on the hood, any warranty is voided and may not stop the cancer. He said that Ford will replace the hood if the dealer goes through a nightmare of paperwork. Since my dealer does few mustangs, he may have no experience with the requirements. The shop made a call to his main dealership and they are looking into it. My other options would be to put on a Cervini hood, but it weighs three times as much and my hood struts would be worthless. (And cost me $1500) He also said they can have blocking problems, which means almost impossible for an amateur to get a proper fit. He has a 2013 GT hood in my color, but cannot get to it for a few days.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:35 AM   #62
Staff

Regular
Staff

my $200-300 was a guess on wrapping the hood cost.....English speak good.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hm, I guess I got extremely lucky. I have a 2011 and no signs of bubbling, just the some rock marks near the front.

Sent from my iPhone

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:28 AM   #64
Staff

Regular
Staff

Favor to ask of someone......If you have a Race Red one with advanced rot could you send me a picture of it (pref in a PM ask I'll give my email out)

thx
Old 06-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #65
Registered Member

Regular

Mud, obviously mine is not the fastest color, but I'd be happy to send some pics.

Are you still within the 3/36? If so and you have even the slightest bubbling, I'd try to get Ford to warranty it. Seems like folks are told to pound sand after the B2B is gone, even if there are "perforations."

Old 06-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

they repainted mine and it's worse after lol. the repair shop sucked at painting. I just saw a piece that's like right on the lip of that hood bump (where you can see the edge from inside the car) that's just gray.. like a line of gray.. as if they completely missed this small spot when painting it. there's no more corrosion bubbles but there's tiny bubbles from rough over spray.

either way, never goto kreans in toms river NJ. worst auto body shop ever and the dealership shouldn't be using them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:28 PM   #67
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
either way, never goto kreans in toms river NJ. worst auto body shop ever and the dealership shouldn't be using them.
They were probably the cheapest, which is probably why the dealer's using them!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang