Quick, what tint % should I get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quick, what tint % should I get?

So my appointment is at 3, and I still can't decide. I'm only doing the 3 rear windows since it's illegal to do fronts in NJ,a nd I don't wanna risk it right now.

The guy at the tint shop told me 18% is what stock windows of SUV's and whatnot look like.

I was leaning towards that, but rgiht now I've got blackout vinyls on my rear quarter windows, so if I take them off and have them tinted, I want them to be pretty dark.

Then again I don't want my rear to be TOO dark for night time driving...but at the same time, I'm annoyed at the auto dimming mirror practically making the rear window unusable anyway at night lol..so hmm.

what do you guys think? 15? 18?
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #2

Region: Florida
I love my 5%, it was dark at first, but im used to it at this point. plus I have it on the front windows too.
Harrisonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

5% looks sweet, but visibility out of that at night must be awful. haha. is 15% too light? too dark at night? it's hard to tell by pics.
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I think I have 20% or 25% on mine and its perfect.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have 20% and it's perfect for night time driving. Pretty dark during the day as well. Perfect shade IMO

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Go with the 18% I have that all the way around my car including below the as1 line and it looks great I live in Florida and it's illegal to go below 33 in the front but no cop has stopped me yet

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
wmelendez13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, 18% is stock from factory on some cars right? i wonder why it's 18 when they go in 5% increments.

hmm. i might try 18 as it's pretty much the middle between the two i was looking at.

think 15 is too dark?
Old 06-20-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
i wonder why it's 18 when they go in 5% increments.

This is because the "non-tinted" windows actually have about a 2% tint on them from the factory.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Old 06-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
This is because the "non-tinted" windows actually have about a 2% tint on them from the factory.
2% would be about limo tint. You mean 98%
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quick, what tint % should I get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
2% would be about limo tint. You mean 98%

Haha yes. My bad.

A slight tint**

Old 06-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have 20% I found that the best to my liking. I had 5% and I just found it to be too dark and the cops in my area were not fans of it...

Sent from my XT1080 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

i went with 18%. the place went from 5 to 18 to 25, so I chose 18. going to pick her up in about an hour! yay.

also the guy said my blackout vinyls wouldn't be re-usable he said the vinyls will stretch pretty bad when pulling them off (and he had to pull them off to be able to fine tune and see everything) so i just said okay, take em off. they were only like 35 bucks, so whatever. he said the only reusable ones are the 3M brand ones that are super thick, and won't stretch..but mine were the cheapo american muscle ones. they've worked quite well for the past 6 months i've had them on, though! and if i want em again, i'll just pickup another set. but i'm excited to be able to have my rear visibility back lol
Old 06-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Can you post pics? I'm also trying to decide on what tint level to go with
austin3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Not to judge the guy but I have louvers on mine and the guy didn't have to take them off to see and it still came out great

Old 06-21-2015, 12:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

idk, dude seemed like a perfectionist, and from all the word of mouth of people I knew who went to him, I trust his judgment. it came out great. I'll have to take pics Monday since it's gonna be crappy and rainy all day... but it looks great. and, seeing out at night isn't a problem at all. in fact it's so much better than no tint bc the mirror doesn't auto dim anymore. yay!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:09 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Not saying it doesn't look good I'm sure it does just that the guy I had was able to do it with the stuff on my windows as long as the tint came out great that's all that matters

Old 06-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I went with the darkest that New Mexico law would allow. However, when I drove into Texas, I was pulled over by a Texas Highway Patrol officer, and told that my windows were too dark according to Texas law. Something to consider. I didn't change anything, and have since traveled into Texas, without any issues. May have been a officer with a attitude.
rogcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

well luckily i don't see myself traveling out of state too often here though lol.

tint laws are by far the STUPIDEST laws these states have come up with. absolutely ridiculous, and the fact it varies so much from state to state says enough about how asinine and pointless they are.

either way, here's some shots of my 18% today on a bright sunny day! (forgive my rusty brakes..rained all weekend lol)

cost me $132 after tax for the 3 rear windows. if you're around the beach area in central NJ, check out Advanced Solar Control in Toms River..i think they did a great job!
Old 06-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Living in S. Florida I go as dark as possible all around. Hell with their laws. If I see a LEO I simply roll the windows down until they go by and most of the time theirs are darker than mine.
GTgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #20
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Looks good.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Looks good.
thanks broski. come on up to NJ for a good deal. haha

Old 06-21-2015, 11:25 PM   #22
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayochs View Post
thanks broski. come on up to NJ for a good deal. haha

I might actually!

My plan is to go to my ophthalmologist and get a prescription to get my front windows tinted darker. They actually give you a letter to keep in your glove box in case you get pulled over. He and I are good friends, I golf with him all the time.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
My
Optometrist wrote me a prescription for darker tint as well. I'm very sensitive to light. Always have to wear sunglasses. I have 5% on all my windows except the windshield. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434952692.710030.jpg
Views:	3256
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	185515

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:19 AM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCali5oh View Post
My
Optometrist wrote me a prescription for darker tint as well. I'm very sensitive to light. Always have to wear sunglasses. I have 5% on all my windows except the windshield. Attachment 185515

Even before working in the mines? Or did that just make it worse?
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:56 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Even before working in the mines? Or did that just make it worse?

I had sensitive eyes before working underground, but mining made it worse due to being in the dark working for 10+ hours then coming out to 5pm bright sun. It's a killer.

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:24 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Has anyone ever done an extremely light tint on driver and passenger windows where it's barely noticeable (for those of us where it's illegal to have any tint on front windows)
But it actually does reduce some inside glare and heat? Would that be like a 50 or 70?
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
Has anyone ever done an extremely light tint on driver and passenger windows where it's barely noticeable (for those of us where it's illegal to have any tint on front windows)
But it actually does reduce some inside glare and heat? Would that be like a 50 or 70?
3M has a new tint that is clear but it reduces the heat and ultra violate rays. Check out the Crystalline one. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...68F7csCaNZBhGP
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1434970236.880173.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	185527

2.5% double layered. Got a note from my doc as well.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

that doctors note is a good idea. maybe I'll look into it. damn that white stang looks good haha love those rims

Old 06-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Why thank you sir. I have a huge mod list planned. Just have to do it piece by piece so the boss lady doesn't get too mad ;(

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I've gone 35% on my past few cars. Something about mustangs makes it appear darker than the actual tint % to me. 35% looks more like 20% in my opinion.

That said, if I didn't have to worry about police attention I think 20% looks perfect on these cars.

Here's a crappy picture:

Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

nice stripes!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang