Installed 5.0 Sound Tube - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Kevin.Cook

Installed 5.0 Sound Tube

So yesterday I got my car back....FINALLY. I installed my JLT Oil Separator and GT Sound Tube.

Now for the sound tube, I plugged it in to the firewall where it normally goes on the 5.0. I then used 3M Tape and Epoxy to secure it to one of the openings on the Airaid (the opening where the driver's side crank case connects to). Then I put a breather filter on the crankcase where the hose was. Everything is connected up and no leaks or anything. No weird idle or sounds, so the install was a success.

However!...This thing makes my engine bay look atrocious. The 3.7 engine cover is not sitting right. The sound tube is too bulky and doesn't flex enough to his under the engine cover, so it is stuck pushing up against it.

The breather filter is also another culprit with not letting the engine cover sit right. Now I can probably cut a small amount from under the engine cover to allow it to sit right.

Last thing, I played with the baffles in and both of them out. But I really couldn't hear any difference with the sound tube. On or off.

Any thoughts?

Luckily, nothing was cut right now or anything. So if I wanted to take it off, I could and keep the look I had before installing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150624_072913.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	185649   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150624_072925.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	185650  

Name:	20150624_072941.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	185651   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150624_072954.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	185652  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
You're CAI is in affect, killing the sound tube. While most aftermarket CAI's for the 5.0 made a hookup for the factory sound tube (larger nipple), the 3.7 CAI's do not, since it was not an option for it.

When I "played" with a sound tube on my 3.7, I had the same results as you with an installed CAI and a fabricated connection to the sound tube; no real sound in the car. I had an automatic, so the extra nipple on the CAI had to be connected to the transmissions breather.

I reinstalled the factory intake, and fabbed a 90 degree PVC fitting by the "sound deadner" (large square box on the factory intake tube). Huge sound difference was now heard in the car.

However, I removed it, as it was simply butt ugly under the hood, and the "cuteness" of the sound in the cabin quickly lost interest with me. My GT500 exhaust was much better to listen to.
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Is your oil separator just sitting on or right above the headers? That's part of why I went with the moroso one because it has a bracket. I know it's for a 5.0 but it's pretty universal and I think it would work in your situation.

That sound tube looks weird because of where you have it on the tube. They are not good looking in any engine bay really

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1435154119.753582.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	185654

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #4
Kevin.Cook

I really looks like it is sitting on the header but it is in fact just dangling there. lol.

Yea I might take it off and throw it up on CL or something. Weird how the CAI would be robbing it of sound even though it's connected in a correct way. Maybe the valve on the inside of the CAI is too small to make a huge difference?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Also, I really tried to get the sound tube under the engine cover but if I made it flex any further then what is already is, it would not have met up with the opening correctly. So its a terrible compromise. lol
Old 06-24-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Sorry it didn't work out like you wanted it to man

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Gotta remember, it was designed around the 5.0's engine. While our 3.7's have the fender side connections for the valve and tube routing, the tube part that connects to the intake tube is located different on the 5.0's then our 3.7's. This slight difference is what makes the tube hard to connect "cleanly".
Old 06-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
Kevin.Cook

It was a cheap thing to try though. Only spent like $40 for everything. Now had it been like $300+, then I would be a little upset. lol.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I got mine 3 years ago for 20 bucks, then sold it last year for the same amount!

No gain, no loss.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I got mine 3 years ago for 20 bucks, then sold it last year for the same amount!

No gain, no loss.
I hear ya. Just a lesson learned. Wouldn't be so bad for the people without an engine cover and stock intake I guess.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:53 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

No gain, no loss.
same here but the # was $25....I never got around to installing mine. I ended up with an Airaid CAI used for a great price. Yeah I know = 0HP but the sound was worth the price.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I routed mine under the engine cover...

Kevin, it can be done. I routed mine under the engine cover, I did have to cut some of the cover to accommodate the extra hose... but it came out looking nice and clean. I'll upload the pictures to my garage in a few minutes. Oh, and I have plenty of sound... so it might be the size of the hole to tapped into. I cut a 1" hole out of the Steeda tube, used a " sink tailpiece" ( plumbing supply) and then wrapped with silicone tape to seal up.
Ppkonablue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:28 AM   #13
Kevin.Cook

Ok. thanks. I will keep an eye out for the pics.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

OK, I don't have any pictures with the cover on, but here's one showing the bend from the back of the motor along the firewall, to the cabin hole...
Ppkonablue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #15
Kevin.Cook

I dont see a breather filter on the drivers side crank case so I assume you are Manual? That is currently one of the poopy parts of being auto. You got 2 tubes running from the intake as it is. So I was able to eliminate 1 with a breather tube. May need to carve some of the padding on the bottom of the engine cover so it will sit cleanly above the breather filter.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Sound tube? why on earth would you want it? Mine came off in the 1st week.
SVOGT302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #17
Kevin.Cook

With a 5.0, you get plenty of engine sound and exhaust sound. You have to remember for us little 6s, we don't. So we mod to give us stuff like the luxuries you have (or don't have....anymore).
Old 06-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I just took mine off because I really couldn't hear anything and want to hear more of the GT500 twin tip mufflers.
Also, I couldn't fit this new addition because the sound tube was in the way.........if anyone wants a complete sound tube just let me know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Addition.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	185689  
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I just took mine off because I really couldn't hear anything and want to hear more of the GT500 twin tip mufflers.
Also, I couldn't fit this new addition because the sound tube was in the way.........if anyone wants a complete sound tube just let me know.

When you removed it could you even tell a difference?

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 06-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
When you removed it could you even tell a difference?

IG @Oxford5pointoh
This is an old picture before I put the Ford Racing Coil Covers on.
It was hooked up I believe just like the original with the tube attached to CAI just ahead of the PCV hose attachment.
I could tell no difference at all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mustang1.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	185694  
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #21
Kevin.Cook

I removed mine. I tried moving it like suggested and all the epoxy cracked and broke. It is too hot in Texas to be dealing with this mess. Put all of the stock stuff back on. About sweated my a** off just doing that.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
This is an old picture before I put the Ford Racing Coil Covers on.
It was hooked up I believe just like the original with the tube attached to CAI just ahead of the PCV hose attachment.
I could tell no difference at all.

Going to pull mine off. I hadn't messed with it out of pure laziness but it's gotta go. I was just curious if it actually got any quieter in your cabin

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 06-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I hear ya. Just a lesson learned. Wouldn't be so bad for the people without an engine cover and stock intake I guess.
I think you may be right. I do not have an engine cover and have the stock intake. I bought a sound tube modified by VIG. At WOT it definitely sounds more aggressive in the cabin than without it hooked up. All baffles out. Not a major improvement and no sound improvement outside the cabin. I am thinking about buying just the Airaid intake tube to see if sound improves more. Has anyone done this and what did it do to the sound?
tucsondivots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Been there done that Kevin. But I just took my cover off in an attempt to run the tube underneath it. But I had a little problem with the pony emblem breaking off the cover, then it go wet and the pony was never the same. Ended up just saying bye bye to my engine cover lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang