Questions about a tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Questions about a tune

So, hey pony friends. I'm soon to do an overhaul with my 3.7. I bought some Borla ATAK exhaust and I want to go ahead and grab a tune because...well it just makes sense to get it out of the stock tune. So I'm looking into the Bama xf4 [or whatever the hell it's called] and I have a question about what the tunes mean. I'm new to custom tuning. So if someone could give me a brief rundown of what the basic tunes mean, that'd be super groovy of you. The only thing I know about it is the number represents octane number. Other than that, it's all over my head.

Ps. I'm still unsure of purchasing CAI at this point. I'm pretty comfy with my K&N performance filter in the stock air box. However, if someone wants to comment on that...I appreciate any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Maleficent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
They're just adjusting air/fuel, timing, etc for more ponies.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Custom Tuning is they will give you a list of questions on their site, such as What CAI do you have, What is your gear ratio, What type of rear tires do you have, Questions about your Exhaust, etc. You will fill out each of these according to the mods on your car.

Since each car can have a different CAI, Exhaust, or Engine work, they consider this custom. Because the specific combination of parts you might have, not every car will have.

PLUS, there is a 4 digit code you provide off your cars computer. This is also why it is considered custom. Most cars have a different code. Never run a tune from another car on yours. It could wreck your whole system.

The RACE tune will give you the biggest bump if you go with Bama. The Street and Performance tune you can run on lower octane and are for the people that don't want the aggressiveness ALL the time. However, I have had the Race tune on my car for about 4 months now without any issues. So that is personal preference.

Now if you have the K&N drop in filter, then a CAI isn't going to do you much more good. Except maybe the Steeda. But I would only recommend that with the BBK Throttle body and some headers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If you're done modding your car, skip the Bama tune and go right to MPT. And honestly after 6 months it's only an additional $20 for MPT to do revisions, I'd probably still go with MPT.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Most of the information relating to your tune can be found on American Muscles website under additional product information for the x4 tuner. That explains what the different tunes are and what kind of power you can expect.

As for your CAI questions, the stock intake is a cold air intake. A lot of people will benefit from removing the restrictive air tube (between the throttle body and air box) and replacing it with a more free flowing one such as AirAid. You can find just the tube online for about $100.

I ended up going with a complete AirAid CAI system because it looks a lot better than the stock box and of course the power increase. But without a tune, the CAI doesn't net very much gains.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

You can go with whoever tuner you desire. I only mentioned Bama as an example. And their questionnaire is alot cleaner then MPTs. But enough of that. Dont want to step on toes or anything because as far as the actual tune goes, I think most tuners are pretty good.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
See the following, taken from:
A beginner's guide to modifying your V6

See also:
How to: Understand your datalogs

Tuners: The tuner is likely going to be the best bang for your buck on your modern engine, allowing your car to optimize either its factory components or aftermarket parts you have added.
A tune consists of a handheld device that you can load tunes on, that can then be loaded onto the vehicle. This handheld is also your means of datalogging your car, for either your own understanding or for sending logs to your tuner for reviewing. NOTE* virtually all hand held devices, save for the very newest models, will require a laptop for datalogging. It is important you have a firm understanding of the software, and the PIDS your tuner wants logged for a successful tuning experience.

What a tune does: In a nutshell, the tune is the recipe for success. Think of your car as a cake so to speak... you can have the best parts (ingredients), but if you have a poor recipe, you will have a poor cake... The tune basically adjusts (or can adjust) every single performance aspect of the car so that everything works in harmony for the best combination of performance, driveability, mpg.

Air / Fuel ratio: This is very straight forward, the ratio of air / fuel that your engine is burning. For those that have a basic understanding of chemistry, the basic Stoich ratio of gasoline and air is about 14.7:1, and this will be your ideal "cruising AFR." As you transition into WOT conditions, it is very common for your tuner to richen up the mixture; 1, for safety (making sure the engine does not run lean), and 2 too cool things down. The reason lean conditions damage a motor is because lean is VERY hot and will melt or damage critical engine components. Most tuners in the Mustang community chose to measure AFR in lambda, which is typically given as a ratio of 14.7, with 14.7 being 1. Numbers greater than 1 will be leaner.

Spark advance: This is the amount of advance before TDC (piston top dead center) that the spark plug will fire and ignite the air / fuel mixture. If the spark plug fired right as the piston reached the top of the cylinder, the piston would already be moving back down as the flame expanded, and you would end up with a very weak powerstroke. By advancing the spark, you can basically time the explosion of the Air/Fuel mixture to do the most work on the piston, and make the most power. This is a very critical part to making power, but is also one of the easiest ways to damage an engine. It is not uncommon for a novice tuner to get carried away with their new found power and actually advance the timing past MBT (Maximum Brake Torque) and actually have the piston advancing up into an already lit Air / Fuel mix which can result in bent rods.
---Knock ******: Knock ****** is the amount of spark advance being removed from the engine if the computer detects a "knock event." A knock event is when the air/fuel mix ignites before the spark plug actually fires. This can be very dangerous and lead to damaged pistons, or bent rods (similar to passing MBT as i mentioned above), so the computer will remove spark advance to subdue this. Spark advance makes power because it increases cylinder pressure, Heat + Pressure will lead to more power, but also the potential for knock, therefore reducing the spark advance will reduce the pressure and the chance of knock.

Cam Timing: Each component of tuning is enough to have its own thread, if not more, especially cam timing. The important thing to know is that each mod that effects airflow can be optimized through cam timing. Power is made in 1 of two ways: Air speed velocity, and maximum CFM (cubic feet per minute) flow.
Air speed velocity: Torque is directly dependent on airspeed velocity (both intake and exhaust), the faster the air moves into and out of the engine, the more torque you will have. This is especially true on the exhaust side (remember, tuned headers...) and leads to the common misconception that "back pressure means more torque," which it does not. A smaller exhaust pipe means higher air speed, at the cost of overall flow, which is why on cars not equipped with technologies similar to the Ti -vct you would tend to lose torque going with an aftermarket header.

Maximum CFM: Obviously this one is straight forward, the more air you have, the more power you can make. Keep in mind when choosing your mods however, the flow and velocity have to work in a balance. Tuning the cams can aid to some extent, but typically more of one means less of the other. This is why its common to see a low end torque trade off for high rpm horsepower (think Boss / CJ manifolds).

Shifters (auto only): The tune can adjust shift firmness, the time of the shift, and basically every function of an automatic transmission. Faster, firmer shifts can lead to faster times at the track, but can also be a lot to live with on a day to day basis. Also, on the 13-14 models, the tuners do not have the ability to adjust the way the car shifts in sport mode. Your car will still be tuned when driving in sport mode, but the shifts will be the ford factory "sport shift" settings.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You can check out what we ask on our site here:

Steeda Online Tune Build Form | Free Shipping!

Let me know if I can help with anything further!

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleficent View Post
So, hey pony friends. I'm soon to do an overhaul with my 3.7. I bought some Borla ATAK exhaust and I want to go ahead and grab a tune because...well it just makes sense to get it out of the stock tune. So I'm looking into the Bama xf4 [or whatever the hell it's called] and I have a question about what the tunes mean. I'm new to custom tuning. So if someone could give me a brief rundown of what the basic tunes mean, that'd be super groovy of you. The only thing I know about it is the number represents octane number. Other than that, it's all over my head.

Ps. I'm still unsure of purchasing CAI at this point. I'm pretty comfy with my K&N performance filter in the stock air box. However, if someone wants to comment on that...I appreciate any suggestions.

Hey - It's looking like you got some solid information from the Mevo Team in here and if you're looking to embarrass some 2 or 3V 4.6 V8 owners such as myself (You will, Trust me) the Bama X4/SF4 is the way to go. The tuning process is absolutely painless and the most challenging thing having everything set up would just be the wait when it's being shipped. Let us know if you have any other questions and we're here to help.

Here's what some customers are saying:

Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

I run the Bama Performance 89 tune.

Excellent all around. The car shifts better and just performs better.

Good group with excellent service.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Hey Alex, any word on the V2 tunes for us V6 folk?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Hey Alex, any word on the V2 tunes for us V6 folk?
Wondering this also! I asked them over at BAMA about a month ago and they said they will be releasing them soon. Who knows when soon is lol.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang