Returning car to stock - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Returning car to stock

So I am toying with the idea of getting rid of the V6 that I have made some modifications to and was hoping to get some input from you guys if any of you have gone through this already. Sorry if there is already a thread related to this, I did a quick search and didn't see anything immediately.

The question I have is whether it would be better to return the car to stock before selling/trading it in. I have heard that it is difficult to trade or sell modified cars to dealerships and if they do take it, they sometimes reduce the value of the car because it is harder to sell. I would like to avoid selling it privately since the car isn't paid off yet because I imagine selling without having the title in hand would be a pain.

Modifications:
Ford Racing 3.73 gears
BBK Chrome Shorty Headers
Magnaflow catback performance exhaust
Airaid Cold Air Intake
Aluminum Driveshaft
BBK Performance 1814 High-Flow X-Pipe Assembly
ACCEL Ignition SuperCoil Set
BAMA 93 race tune
johnjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Only problem will be the gears, as the tuner will basically have to go with the car, and you'll pretty much have to let them know.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I would leave it as is. I would just put the stock air box in.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

For the gears you would spend alot swapping them back out so just leave them in with the car tuned. Just let the dealer know you had them installed and the cars computer was updated for the gears. If you have the stock headers and everything else, you could sell off most of that stuff and get a good chunk for a down payment. Up to you though.

You could score 250-300 for headers, 120-160 for intake, Driveshaft about 500 or so all day long, tuner will have to go with the car because it will be married to it as long as those 3.73s are on it. If you return it back to stock, it will default back to its old gear ratio. UNLESS, you know a friend that can update the cars ECU to 3.73s. Such as a VCM tool or something. Then you could unmarry the tuner.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #5

I would be fine with leaving it as is. This is my first time unloading a car that I have made changes to. Any experience with how difficult it is to sell a modified car?
Old 06-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

Not difficult to be honest. Last car I traded in had Magnaflow mufflers, Strut Tower Brace, Window Louvers, and a few other small things. I still got blue book for it. I would put the stock airbox back in it at least. They probably wont care about the Accel coils or the mufflers.

The biggest things will be the gears and the tune to be honest. Likely they will just flash their tune back on it and update the ECU with 3.73s. My other suggestion was just to take some of the awkwardness out of it by handing them the tuner along with the car. lol.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it's harder than an unmodded car as the buyer is going to have to want your mods and trust you or your mechanic. for me I would take off driveshaft/intake and exhaust (leave headers) and be happy with the time to $ return. Assuming you still have OEM stuff. You must mention the tune as that can affect wtty.....
Old 06-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Some dealerships are smarter than others, basically you want to tell them as little as possible. The good thing is you have Ford Racing gears, so all i would literally say (as close to the end as possible) is

"yeah, and i did have them install the Ford Racing gears and adjust the speedo." Some will know what that means, some wont, but thats not your problem. I dont believe in intentionally trying to rip you off, but this is negotiations ... dont give them any excuse to try to give you less than what the car is worth.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Right. But if he can find someone who has a tool to just update the ECU, then he can eliminate the tuner altogether but unmarrying it, then just updating the gears in the ECU. Then all he has to do is tell the dealer he had 3.73s put in. But to be honest, I wouldn't say anything if you are not the first owner. If you are the 2nd owner, etc, then tell them they were already in the car when you got it. LOL.

That is assuming if they ask. If they dont ask, dont tell!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Some dealerships are smarter than others, basically you want to tell them as little as possible. The good thing is you have Ford Racing gears, so all i would literally say (as close to the end as possible) is

"yeah, and i did have them install the Ford Racing gears and adjust the speedo." Some will know what that means, some wont, but thats not your problem. I dont believe in intentionally trying to rip you off, but this is negotiations ... dont give them any excuse to try to give you less than what the car is worth.
Very true! and to be honest, alot of the sale people know squat about these cars. When I got my mustang, I asked what gear ratio came with the PP just to test them. The sales guy said "uhhh...I will need to check". He didnt even know how to configure Sync in my car. lol

You might get lucky, or you might get the 1 Sales guy on the floor who is a Mustang fanatic. lol
Old 06-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

With those mods i would honestly just leave it how it is.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:04 PM   #12

Thanks for the replies. With the headers, x pipe, and axleback system, I don't think that anybody will be fooled into thinking i haven't fiddled with some things. I have one hell of a drone at highway speeds. lol

And next time I modify a car i will definitely hold onto the OEM parts even if it is pain in the butt to take them with you when moving between apartments...
Old 06-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Only real things i would swap is the driveshaft, catback, CAI, and X pipe. That is if you have the stock parts.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Find someone local who wants 3.73s and trade rear axles
Old 06-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #15

only stock part that I still have is the x pipe. I guess I would have to try and find people looking to upgrade and willing to swap them for there stock parts if they have them and they are local to the Dallas area.

I guess first thing would be to just give it a shot at a dealership and see what they say.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.7batmobile View Post
Find someone local who wants 3.73s and trade rear axles
Honestly this, its not very hard at all.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Id be willing to trade lol
im in Ma though...
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:31 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohnson View Post
only stock part that I still have is the x pipe. I guess I would have to try and find people looking to upgrade and willing to swap them for there stock parts if they have them and they are local to the Dallas area.

I guess first thing would be to just give it a shot at a dealership and see what they say.
Never sell your stock parts. I learned this lesson long ago...
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:21 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

Yup. I got my stock control arms, intake, stock throttle body, prop rod. Hell, I even got my base cluster. lol.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohnson View Post

If you can, I would sell off the parts, make a bit more money. Honestly they wont give you more money with the aftermarket and if they do give you a fair price they will just remove whats easy and throw them out and replace it stock parts anyway. Both the dealerships i have worked for have done this. Not sure about others but it is up to you.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I think it would be a lot easier if you just give me those shorties for cheap and then trade the car in lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Personally I would put it back to stock and sell the mods! I think you'd have a hard time getting the 3.73's past them....think you'd also recoup more money as the mods add NO value. I have stopped modding till I decide to keep mine! What I have would be pretty easy to switch out, except for the gears. It'd cost me 400.00 to change the gears...still have stock exhaust except for axle backs. Leave it lowered ....axlebacks are easy swap....may go that route TOO!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Suggestion...

You might try selling it to a private party first. They might like they idea that some of the mods they were going to do, have already been done.

If that doesn't work, then install your stock parts and go down to the STEALERSHIP and make your best deal.

Just a thought. Good Luck!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang