Gears 3:73 need help on retuning. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Gears 3:73 need help on retuning.

Hey guys I need your help I will be installing my 373 gears from 331 next week but I need to recalibrate my tune for the new gears. Emailed Mpt and Ken told me that I need to pay for tune revision which is fine with me but when I called my shop they told me that I don't need to retune cos they can just adjust the settings to 373 with no charge is this true?

Ken also mentioned in the email that it will be a new tune which I already told him that I want the same tune I have right now but just changed It to 373. I'm confused.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

I thought they needed to do something to make the speedo right.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I am making assumptions here, but here's my thoughts.

I dont believe the shop has the ability to correct the speedo with your current tune. I'm assuming you're an auto when i say that.

As far as MPT charging for a new tune, if you are an auto, i can see them having to adjust all the shift points for the new gears, so i imagine it is a little more than just changing a number in the tune from 3.31 to 3.73. I've never tuned an auto, but i imagine the new gears will be hitting different load at different RPMs and they'll basically have to start the shift schedule from scratch. The shop must be under the impression it is as simple as changing a number. In some cases it may be, but im not certain thats the case here.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Voltwings;2251177]I am making assumptions here, but here's my thoughts.

I dont believe the shop has the ability to correct the speedo with your current tune. I'm assuming you're an auto when i say that.

As far as MPT charging for a new tune, if you are an auto, i can see them having to adjust all the shift points for the new gears, so i imagine it is a little more than just changing a number in the tune from 3.31 to 3.73. I've never tuned an auto, but i imagine the new gears will be hitting different load at different RPMs and they'll basically have to start the shift schedule from scratch. The shop must be under the impression it is as simple as changing a number. In some cases it may be, but im not certain thats the case

Interesting i even called bama and they told me that you can change option when you are uploading a tune for 3:73 and i think i see this option all the time when i tune my car, it says do you need to adjust your parameters somewhere along those line. I called bama because i also got my tune there before and the rep told me that i can change the setting myself.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Maybe they have a speedo calibrator. When I did my gears I dont have my car tuned so I bought a Hypertech Speedo Calibrator. Works great and I got a good deal on it from Auto Anything.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Maybe they have a speedo calibrator. When I did my gears I dont have my car tuned so I bought a Hypertech Speedo Calibrator. Works great and I got a good deal on it from Auto Anything.
No they said that they can use my SCT tuner and they can calibrate from there same as bama rep. told me. i just dont want to pay extra dollar to MPT if i can change the settings myself.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you have an sct tuner and they didn't lock the tune out you can just adjust to whatever gears you need via the tuner on the settings so you could do it yourself. Like I said I know some shops lock their tunes but not all and it's defi worth checking.
Lan_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I believe there are two different issues at stake here; the tune and the speedo. I cant help but think the shift schedule would need to be adjusted for the new gears (as MPT is wanting to do), however, that is not the same as simply adjusting the speedo.

My assumption is that either MPT is over zealous or just wanting to make a buck so they're charging for a new tune, or BAMA has enough ... wiggle? In there tune to allow a gear change and it still fall within an acceptable range. Now, in my personal dealings with MPT, they're a great group of guys, so im willing to bet if they're suggesting a new tune that it may be in your best interest. At the same time, if Bama is just willing to adjust the speedo and not adjust the shift schedule i would question that tune as well.

Now, again, i am 100% making assumptions and "best guesses" here, none of this is fact.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan_Evo View Post
If you have an sct tuner and they didn't lock the tune out you can just adjust to whatever gears you need via the tuner on the settings so you could do it yourself. Like I said I know some shops lock their tunes but not all and it's defi worth checking.
Its interesting that you mentioned this cos this is exactly what the guy from the shop told me as long MPT did not lock my settings he can definitely go in and adjust it,. Mind you this shop does this all the time and they dealt with racing cars and this is all they do all day. Now i dont know why mpt wants me to pay when they can just say yeah they can adjust it themselves, again its all about the Benjamin's///
Old 06-25-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I believe there are two different issues at stake here; the tune and the speedo. I cant help but think the shift schedule would need to be adjusted for the new gears (as MPT is wanting to do), however, that is not the same as simply adjusting the speedo.

My assumption is that either MPT is over zealous or just wanting to make a buck so they're charging for a new tune, or BAMA has enough ... wiggle? In there tune to allow a gear change and it still fall within an acceptable range. Now, in my personal dealings with MPT, they're a great group of guys, so im willing to bet if they're suggesting a new tune that it may be in your best interest. At the same time, if Bama is just willing to adjust the speedo and not adjust the shift schedule i would question that tune as well.

Now, again, i am 100% making assumptions and "best guesses" here, none of this is fact.

Understood and i agree on this, Mike from his email he told me hejust want to adjust the shift points on my auto and add the 3:73 gears in, i know i like them and this is the only tune i run in my daily driving or weekend i shall say. I will pay for the revision fee for peace of mind and its not really a big deal.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I will be pissed though if you can just adjust it yourself and then they are telling me to pay for the new revisions.. Thats why i asked here for your experience..
Old 06-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

When we put 3.73s in our auto V6 we were still within the 6 months free revisions, and i didnt order her tune for the stick until the 3.55s went in, so unfortunately i got nothing for you lol.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
My SCT tuner has the option unlocked. When I had my 3.55's installed I was able to change it under the options you can select preflash. Never had an issue with the speedo being off.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When we put 3.73s in our auto V6 we were still within the 6 months free revisions, and i didnt order her tune for the stick until the 3.55s went in, so unfortunately i got nothing for you lol.
Hahaha thats alryt man thanks for the help, il man up and pay for the revisions.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
My SCT tuner has the option unlocked. When I had my 3.55's installed I was able to change it under the options you can select preflash. Never had an issue with the speedo being off.
There you go thank you sir, hows the performance is it the same?
Old 06-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Hahaha thats alryt man thanks for the help, il man up and pay for the revisions.
Maybe just call and confirm what you're paying for. Use some hot words like updating the shift schedule based on the new rpm vs load etc. I notice when calling the help desk guys will try their best to stay on the phones with generic answers, but if you pry you can talk to either Ken or Mike if they're not busy.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't notice that you (shunc01) came out and asked MPT if that was a parameter that you could access and change.
And then ask them what they would be doing different, if anything.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I didn't notice that you (shunc01) came out and asked MPT if that was a parameter that you could access and change.
And then ask them what they would be doing different, if anything.
This from ken when he emailed me.

unfortunately, we have to cover the labor involved with building you a new tune, and with your car being an auto, that requires us building a completely new tune from scratch.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I folded and paid the revision fee, now just waiting for the gears to be installed and the new tune. So question guys do I need to change the gear oil after the break in period? I think it was for 500 miles. So he told he will just use the generic oil and changed it synthetic after the break in period. He let me choose which one I would like he mentioned red line, am soil, rp. Which should I go for?

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and tym I also asked if they install driveshaft which they do and you can order from them as well or buy the driveshaft and install it for less than a 100 bucks.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:52 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I folded and paid the revision fee, now just waiting for the gears to be installed and the new tune. So question guys do I need to change the gear oil after the break in period? I think it was for 500 miles. So he told he will just use the generic oil and changed it synthetic after the break in period. He let me choose which one I would like he mentioned red line, am soil, rp. Which should I go for?
That's what I did. Cheap stuff for the first 1000-1500 miles, then refilled with RP 75w140 full syn (plus 4 oz friction modifier).
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
That's what I did. Cheap stuff for the first 1000-1500 miles, then refilled with RP 75w140 full syn (plus 4 oz friction modifier).
Nice man thanks that's what i will do.. I'll go with rp or amsoil

Old 06-26-2015, 08:42 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nice man thanks that's what i will do.. I'll go with Redline or amsoil

Fixed.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fixed.
Mr Voltwings I was just wondering what is heat cycle during the break in period? Sorry to many questions since I'm just starting to learn about gears.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Basically its the same as seating piston rings. Things heat up and expand and are wearing against each other. When they're fresh there's going to be more wear (due to the expansion), but as things "heat cycle," which is basically the process of heating up and cooling down as you drive, the wear beings to lessen. Basically this is in regards to the pinon and ring gear making contact in this case.

I'm assuming that's what you're asking?
Old 06-26-2015, 01:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Basically its the same as seating piston rings. Things heat up and expand and are wearing against each other. When they're fresh there's going to be more wear (due to the expansion), but as things "heat cycle," which is basically the process of heating up and cooling down as you drive, the wear beings to lessen. Basically this is in regards to the pinon and ring gear making contact in this case.

I'm assuming that's what you're asking?
Yes exactly sir and thank you for the info. Now how much time interval should I do the heat cycle and do I do these each time I drive my car during the break in period? Again I really appreciate your time while I'm learning in the process.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Its just going to naturally occur as you drive. The harder you drive though, the hotter things will get, and the more they will wear. This is why its typically advised to do a "break in" period, as too much stress right off the bat can damage things. I believe the consensus is only 250-500 miles of easy to moderate driving (basically you dont have to be scared of moderate acceleration), but you certainly don't want to be doing multiple gear WOT pulls during this time.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its just going to naturally occur as you drive. The harder you drive though, the hotter things will get, and the more they will wear. This is why its typically advised to do a "break in" period, as too much stress right off the bat can damage things. I believe the consensus is only 250-500 miles of easy to moderate driving (basically you dont have to be scared of moderate acceleration), but you certainly don't want to be doing multiple gear WOT pulls during this time.
Okay got it.. I will go easy, it will be hard though since it will take me 1 1/2 hour trip from the shop and it is all hi way. Should I drive it every 30 mins and let it cool down and drive it again.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Nah, normal drive interval is fine. Hell, if you really wanted just change your speed +/- 5mph every once in a while, but i wouldn't worry much. These 8.8s are pretty stout
Old 06-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

^ You'll probably be fine so long as you don't beat on it while you're driving. I did read somewhere that it might be preferable to go through a range of speeds during break-in, but I'm not sure how critical this is.

While you're having the gears put in, why not also put on an aluminum cover (either finned or not)? Will improve heat dissipation and this may marginally extend the life of your gears. Plus, they look cool and have a drain hole to make future fluid changes easier.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^ You'll probably be fine so long as you don't beat on it while you're driving. I did read somewhere that it might be preferable to go through a range of speeds during break-in, but I'm not sure how critical this is.

While you're having the gears put in, why not also put on an aluminum cover (either finned or not)? Will improve heat dissipation and this may marginally extend the life of your gears. Plus, they look cool and have a drain hole to make future fluid changes easier.
The change intervals are few and far between, but this!
Old 06-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Never heared of this but definitely mentioned this to my shop. Is there term for it or just aluminum cover?

Old 06-26-2015, 02:09 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Florida
If they flash the computer with a new ratio, your vehicle needs to be flashed to stock, and re read the stock setting so it's there. Also if you have a sct x4, you should have the ability to change it without a tune
Old 06-26-2015, 02:27 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3.7 View Post
If they flash the computer with a new ratio, your vehicle needs to be flashed to stock, and re read the stock setting so it's there. Also if you have a sct x4, you should have the ability to change it without a tune
Okay just so I get you here, I have to put my car back to stock and then put the new tune in with the new gear ratio?

I only have the sct x3 and already bought the revision tune from Mpt which is no biggie.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang