4.10 vs 3.73 gears? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #1

Region: Montana
4.10 vs 3.73 gears?

Hi
I know this question has been asked lots of times but I couldn't find an answer to my specific question. So, I'm really feel frustrated that my previous 280hp car has a WAAAY greater pull than my current 2.73-equppied 2013 v6.

I have an automatic, and I'm considering the 3.73 or the 4.10. I usually cruise at 75 on interstates, and I couldn't really figure out how to calculate the RPM at 75 on each of these gears. Does anyone have the numbers? or how to calculate them?

Also, I talked to my local shop and the guy there said that going to bigger wheels won't change the actual ratio (I have 17 and planning on going 19) as the height of the tire most likely won't change even when going to larger wheels, how true is that?

Also, does anyone have any of these gears installed on a v6 and can tell us about the MPG?
I do highway driving several times a year and at least once a month (sometimes twice).
Should I go with the 3.90?

Thanks
KAC331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I have a manual and went from 2.73 to 3.73. Sometimes I think it's too much and wish had had done 3.55. If I had an auto I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the 3.73's, that's my opinion. I also believe 4.10's for a DD are way to much. You'll get a lot of different responses so get ready...
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Running 3.73s in my auto and no issues with it. It's not as bad as people make it seem but also you may not like it while others do. As for highway driving it's not too bad I still average like 26ish mpg going like 70 I believe.

IG: justaslow3.7
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
4.10 vs 3.73 gears?

As for changing the diameter of your tires, he's right.

Believe it or not, 19s with either 255/40 or 245/45 will actually have a smaller overall diameter than the 17s with 215/65 or 225 (or whatever they are).

I changed from the 215/65/17s to 255/40/19s. The difference is almost -1" in overall diameter.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
If you want to know RPM for each gear, take your current RPM at 75, and multiply it by the new gear ratio over your current one.

Example, if currently your RPM at speed is 1900, your new RPM would be:

1900 * 3.73/2.73 = 2596 RPM
1900 * 4.10/2.73 = 2853 RPM

You can do the same with tire diameter. If you go from a 28" tire to a 27" tire, your new RPM will be 28/27 * old RPM. (as Diehard corrected)
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire003 View Post
If you want to know RPM for each gear, take your current RPM at 75, and multiply it by the new gear ratio over your current one.

Example, if currently your RPM at speed is 1900, your new RPM would be:

1900 * 3.73/2.73 = 2596 RPM
1900 * 4.10/2.73 = 2853 RPM

You can do the same with tire diameter. If you go from a 28" tire to a 27" tire, your new RPM will be 28/27 * old RPM.
Correct except as noted.
A smaller dia tire should have to turn more and therefore higher rev's.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #7
Kevin.Cook

3.73s in my auto DD is not a huge boost over the 3.31s I had. But I am still in the break in process. However, when on the highway, I can literally see my gas needle start to drop. HAHA. I say now with my current mods and 93 Race tune, my car is on par with the gas mileage of a stock GT.

SO just be prepared to fill up your tank more frequently if you do highway driving if you switch gears. Other then that, I have nothing else to say. Normal cruising is still pretty average. 40-45 is at 1200 or so RPM. I get about 19 AVG MPGs with combined City and Highway driving.

Lastly, make sure to take the car to somewhere reputable that will warranty the parts and work.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
3.73s in my auto DD is not a huge boost over the 3.31s I had. But I am still in the break in process. However, when on the highway, I can literally see my gas needle start to drop. HAHA. I say now with my current mods and 93 Race tune, my car is on par with the gas mileage of a stock GT.

SO just be prepared to fill up your tank more frequently if you do highway driving if you switch gears. Other then that, I have nothing else to say. Normal cruising is still pretty average. 40-45 is at 1200 or so RPM. I get about 19 AVG MPGs with combined City and Highway driving.

Lastly, make sure to take the car to somewhere reputable that will warranty the parts and work.
Hey Kevin I was wondering did you upgrade you're differential cover or still at stock? How many miles now in your break in period? Thanks man

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Changing to 3.73's was the best idea to date. I averaged over 25mpg from south Florida to northern Ohio at legal speed limits. Those gears greatly improved the car's performance.

I had the stock punkin' cover changed over the the Ford Racing finned cover.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Changing to 3.73's was the best idea to date. I averaged over 25mpg from south Florida to northern Ohio at legal speed limits. Those gears greatly improved the car's performance.

I had the stock punkin' cover changed over the the Ford Racing finned cover.
Do you know how much your Ford racing cover hold for the oil?

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post

make sure to take the car to somewhere reputable that will warranty the parts and work.
that is VERY important.

I read Ted's post with 25 MPG and was awed...till I saw legal speed limits. I've seen the legal limits posted often.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have an Auto and am happy with my 3.55's. Way better pull than the stock 2.73's.

And really didn't funk with my gas mileage that much. Average like 22-23.
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Ideal ratio for performance and fuel economy is 3.55....best of both worlds
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
3.55 and 3.31 are good too if you plan on supercharging or running a turbo kit
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
Ideal ratio for performance and fuel economy is 3.55....best of both worlds
^^This, I love my 3.73s but I would have been just as happy with 3.55s while getting a bit better mpgs.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

3.55s are enough shifting as it is. I wouldn't want any more gear than this for city driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #17

Alright, I'm probably going with the 3.73s then! Is there anyone who went from the stock 2.73 to 3.73 who can tell us about their experience in terms of gains?

I find the 2.73s REALLY bad, and since I'm switching anyways, I'd hate to see just little gains and then wish I'd gone with the 4.10s
Old 06-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I went from 2.73s to 3.73s and the difference is huge! I was debating 3.73 or 4.10s, but in the end i decided to go with 3.73s.

Bite off the line is excellent and highway rpm is great. Before with my 2.73s cruising Rpm was so low in 6th that any passing or hill climbing absolutely required a down shift, i found myself a lot of the time cruising in 5th which kinda made 6th pretty useless for me. You will lose a bit of highway mpg but its not dramatic by any means.
I don't want to tell you not to go 4.10s but you definitely won't be disappointed with 3.73s, especially if you understand and except that you'll lose a couple of highway mpgs. It makes our cars so much more fun to drive!

Sent from LG G3.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:27 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
There is no definite answer and it will depend a lot on your combo. Stock tire height with 4.10s in your car=2500 RPM on the highway at 70mph. If that's not a problem then go wtih 4.10s and go with a taller 28" tire if you are getting new tires anyway.

If you are concerned about the RPM on the highway step it down a little. If you plan on going with a Procharger later on down the line, you'll want to wait to do gears then or go with 3.55s at most.

All depends as I said, no combo exists in a vacuum where X>Y when it comes to stuff like this. Also realize that the 6R 1st gear is a 4.17 ratio which is a BIG departure from previous years. You do not need a huge rear gear to get going like back in the day. The Coyote guys with the auto actually start going slower if they go anymore than 3.31s. Most of the ones that know what they are doing just leave in the 3.15s . As for the V6, it obviously needs more help off the line so taller gears will be better but again, it all depends on what you want.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

This simulation of different speeds with different gears may be of interest to you.
Put together by Ish416

The truth about gears..
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:49 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
This might be off the topic, but I just wanted to know how does changing gear ratio affect manual car? I know that it would help autos a lot, but what does it do for manual?!
mutaz102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:24 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
It does the same things to manuals as an auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:47 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutaz102 View Post
This might be off the topic, but I just wanted to know how does changing gear ratio affect manual car? I know that it would help autos a lot, but what does it do for manual?!
Its not off topic and it actually does not help some autos specifically the 11+ GT, it actually slows them down.

Again, its all specific to the gearing of the transmission (not just final ratio), rear tire size and the powerplant in the vehicle. The old mantra "3.73s for stick and 4.10s for auto" is really for the 10-down cars and still is not super accurate because its like a one size fits all statement without taking anything else into account.

As for how they work... well imagine you are 12 years old again and riding your Schwinn 21 speed bike (or a Huffy 10 speed in my case because my Parents were cheap...). Remember how easy it was to take off in 1st gear vs like... 8th gear. Well that's basically what steeper rear gears do. Make it easier for the motor to move the car and you'll accelerate faster but there are trade offs in top speed and if you are tracking the car you need to worry about shift points especially. And if its a street car you don't want your overall 1st gear to be ridiculously tall or you'll have to shift into 2nd almost instantly and have traction issues as well.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

And the short version of that ^

*A higher numerical gear means every single one of your gears gets shorter* So while it is a little different depending on manual or automatic, the same idea applies to both.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
And the short version of that ^

*A higher numerical gear means every single one of your gears gets shorter* So while it is a little different depending on manual or automatic, the same idea applies to both.

Bullitts are better than Bullets
What would be interesting to know is what exactly do the tuners do to the shift points on an auto.
I assume(I'll have to go check it out.) that with a lower gear ratio it must come close to redline at each shift point. If that wasn't the case then I guess they might raise the shift point RPM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
What would be interesting to know is what exactly do the tuners do to the shift points on an auto.
I assume(I'll have to go check it out.) that with a lower gear ratio it must come close to redline at each shift point. If that wasn't the case then I guess they might raise the shift point RPM.
Load and rpm is my guess. I've never tuned an auto personally, but most tables in a tune are based on a load x rpm grid. A simple way to think of load would be "the work being done," in simplest terms.

Imagine the 2.73 and 3.73 as gears in a mountain bike. Your legs have to work harder to turn the 2.73s over than the 3.73s, so you will be hitting a different load value at any given rpm value and things will be screwy. I imagine this more affects down shifts than up shifts, but you can see its obviously a key portion of both.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:41 PM   #27

Are the the two brands offered on American Muscle have pros and cons?

Should I go with Dana or FR?
Old 06-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #28
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ford Racing

Old 06-30-2015, 02:24 PM   #29
Kevin.Cook

I 2nd Ford Racing. But first, see if the shop will warranty customer provided parts (doubt it). Might be best to let the shop provide them if they will warranty all of their own parts and labor. Last thing you want is a ton of gear noise and be screwed cuz of no warranty.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Load and rpm is my guess. I've never tuned an auto personally, but most tables in a tune are based on a load x rpm grid. A simple way to think of load would be "the work being done," in simplest terms.

Imagine the 2.73 and 3.73 as gears in a mountain bike. Your legs have to work harder to turn the 2.73s over than the 3.73s, so you will be hitting a different load value at any given rpm value and things will be screwy. I imagine this more affects down shifts than up shifts, but you can see its obviously a key portion of both.
Yes since the cars computer relies on the load as one of the factors determining the shift point, I was thinking the load value would be effected by the gear change and would require some adjustment.

As far as my bike, I prefer to stay in the lowest gear ratio that the strength of my legs can handle, rather than increasing my RPM. Although they do say there is an optimum RPM for bike riding which should be obtained by shifting gears.
(I do still remember the basic mechanical advantage of simple machines from my high school physics classes.)
As always, thanks for your help.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #31

Here's a follow up:

So I had the 3.73 installed and hit the 500 mark. I can say there is a big difference, but it's not as big as I expected. All the reviews made it seem like the difference was HUGE.

Bottom line is, it is good, will put a smile on your face, and I'm satisfied with it, though I'll probably go with a different shop next time . Speaking of which, once I got the car there was noise coming from the rear gear, I could literally hear the gear spinning. It was loud but after I drove for about 50 miles it kind of faded away. It is still there though especially when decelerating, or at high rpm on 5th or 6th gear. I will have the fluid changed tomorrow, so I will see what the shop will do about it.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:31 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

The difference between 2.73s and my 3.73s were huge, but I'm in a manual and not the auto. Some say the auto's could handle 4.10s nicely, but the manuals not so much. I guess it depends on the persons goals and expectations.

I must be one of the lucky ones to have a good gear install, when I spoke with my shop before the install they were so straight forward and told me because my car at the time only had 10k on it they were just doing the gear and pinion and that the reason they only used Ford racing gears is because the install is basic and straight forward.
18k still great, original RP in the rear.
Sent from LG G3.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #33
Kevin.Cook

I had this also. New fluid and friction modifier won't change this. This is due to the shimming being slightly off. After going through the gear install twice on my car, I can assure you it is nothing to worry about, because it is not off to cause an issue. It is just off enough to be annoying. At least I know now the pinion bearing isn't and wasn't at risk. I paid an extra $500 to find that out though

I just deal with the slight noise at 50 mph. It is only upon decelerating until I hit 45-48mph. If it is really bad then maybe you want to pay or take it back for a rebuild. Up to you!

I went from 3.31s and was/still am disappointed. I wish I would have not touched this.

Thanks to Alex and AM though for helping me through that ordeal.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

As far as my experience, i am very satisfied with it, i dont have any gear whine at all, i had a little leaked from my pinion which my shop changed it with no charge and they told me that this is known when you changed your gears and part of it is from my tune too MPT really dialled it in that for me its night and day from my 3:31 swap.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:54 PM   #35

Yeah I'm not expecting it to go away after the new fluid, but I'm going to talk to the shop about this when I go there for the fluid change. And I didn't say I'm not satisfied with it, I am, and if I had to go through this again I would. But, I think the reviews made me expect more.

What's concerning me is that I get some vibration when I'm around 75-85, the whole car starts vibrating. I used to get similar vibrations at certain RPMs due to my Roush axle-back, but now I get them mostly when I'm in 5th gear around that speed, shifting into 6th resolves the problem. Though at the same RPMs at lower speed everything is fine. So it is definitely not caused by the axle back, it is either due to an improper install of the gears or something that has to do with the driveshaft!

I know that our driveshafts are not designed to take too much, and the fact that it is spinning more at the same speeds had me concerned about it.

What do you think?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang