Airaid Throttle Body Spacer/ Airaid CAI Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Airaid Throttle Body Spacer/ Airaid CAI Question

My buddy gave me his Airaid Throttle Body Spacer earlier today and I was wondering how did people fit it their Spacer along with the BBK Throttle Body and Airaid Intake?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0986 View Post
My buddy gave me his Airaid Throttle Body Spacer earlier today and I was wondering how did people fit it their Spacer along with the BBK Throttle Body and Airaid Intake?

Thanks

It should just bolt on before the throttle body shouldn't it?

IG: justaslow3.7
Harm_3.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harm_3.7 View Post
It should just bolt on before the throttle body shouldn't it?

Yea, but I'm not sure if the Intake Tube will fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I think I heard one time that the spacer isn't compatible with the air raid intake. I'm not sure about this tho.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1435629203.588057.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	186174
It will not fit with the air raid intake.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Attachment 186174
It will not fit with the air raid intake.

Look at the photos bro. Some people got it to fit.

Like this one..

Old 06-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just because people force things into place doesn't make it correct or that it was made to work that way. Since the tube is plastic Im sure you can trim the tube or force it into place but that would probable 1. not cause the product to work as intended or 2. potentially crack under light stress. If you go to airaids website and pull up the installation directions for the intake it says directly on it:

Note: Because of space constraints, this Intake system can not to be used in conjunction with a throttlebody spacer
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Just because people force things into place doesn't make it correct or that it was made to work that way. Since the tube is plastic Im sure you can trim the tube or force it into place but that would probable 1. not cause the product to work as intended or 2. potentially crack under light stress. If you go to airaids website and pull up the installation directions for the intake it says directly on it:

Note: Because of space constraints, this Intake system can not to be used in conjunction with a throttlebody spacer
I'm probably just going to sell it, lol.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Just because people force things into place doesn't make it correct or that it was made to work that way.
Thats what she said...
Old 06-29-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0986 View Post
I'm probably just going to sell it, lol.

How much lol πŸ˜†

Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It fits!! Is says that it won't fit with the intake installed so you would have to remove it and put the spacer on first. Did it on my bros car and fit perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
XxVenomxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxVenomxX View Post
It fits!! Is says that it won't fit with the intake installed so you would have to remove it and put the spacer on first. Did it on my bros car and fit perfectly

Hmmm in that case I suggest the OP try the install and see if it works. You never know it might work πŸ‘

Old 06-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How much lol πŸ˜†

Lol, let me try and do what Venom suggested if not, I'll sell it to you. Lol
Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

People get them to fit by leaving them on the shelf in the garage. TB spacers are well documented to not really gain anything and can in fact hurt performance.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
As well as combining parts that weren't designed to complement each other. A well modded car has mods that complement each other. In the real world ricer math of Adding up the hp per part does not work to get to total hp

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #16
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
People get them to fit by leaving them on the shelf in the garage. TB spacers are well documented to not really gain anything and can in fact hurt performance.

I would assume the fins in the upper intake manifold would break up the "spin" effect the spacer does with the incoming air (assuming this is why they designed the spacer the way they did).

Either way, save your money for something else and don't get a spacer.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I would assume the fins in the upper intake manifold would break up the "spin" effect the spacer does with the incoming air (assuming this is why they designed the spacer the way they did).

Either way, save your money for something else and don't get a spacer.
Its entirely possible, i just know a couple of people have dynod and showed a loss in top end performance.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #18
Kevin.Cook

OP could always be the guinea pig and get the fins shaved down and then try the spacer. LOL
Old 06-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Tb spacers are voodo magic,don't waste ur money
ALLYDRIVER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Best place to mount your throttle body spacer is the nearest trash can. We don't have carburetors where the spacer created a longer runner effect. The air and fuel aren't mixed at the throttle body.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
i was gonna used a tb spacer too make a nitrous plate but ended up finding a plate for cheap

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:43 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Good luck MP. I'm of the opinion of several others here; you may be able to make it fit but... With a TB and a CAI, you are pretty tight. I'm running Airaid and BBK TB here too and getting those two fit in was a tight squeeze. I think the real draw of the spacer is everyone wants the supercharger wind up sound. From what I've heard online, it sounds more like something stuck in the grill whistling. Let us know how it turns out.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
i was gonna used a tb spacer too make a nitrous plate but ended up finding a plate for cheap
Didn't you put 2 spacers together to get double the horsepower ?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:12 PM   #24
Kevin.Cook

Wait....we can double our parts for twice the power?! I need a 2nd set of headers and gears. LOL!
Old 07-01-2015, 10:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Believe it or not i have seen that before.. runing two nitrous plates as a two stage

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLYDRIVER1 View Post
Tb spacers are voodo magic,don't waste ur money
One of the guys at MEGA SPACERs managed to gain around 5-10 hp in the mid range with his spacer...Have not been able to really use it as it cause me to throw CEL codes on every tune I have except my 87 Street :-/
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 12:37 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So, I got it to fit. It wasn't that hard..just had to to install the Body Spacer, Throttle Body, Intake Tube, and Intake Box at the same time. BUT.. I took it out and I decided that I want to sell it instead. I will be in the for sale section if anybody is interested.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
One of the guys at MEGA SPACERs managed to gain around 5-10 hp in the mid range with his spacer...Have not been able to really use it as it cause me to throw CEL codes on every tune I have except my 87 Street :-/

I believe that, its what most people end up saying. The consensus seems to be though that you're trading top end for mid range, so i guess its ultimately up to each person to decide if thats worth it to them.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe that, its what most people end up saying. The consensus seems to be though that you're trading top end for mid range, so i guess its ultimately up to each person to decide if thats worth it to them.
See for a street car thats what you want. Top is is nice but its short. by giving more power in the low to mid range you can get a good jump in power for a bit longer before it flat lines up top. At least thats what i would like to have. Im going to try reinstalling my mega spacer TB spacer tomorrow since i actually have the damn day off for once LOL
Old 07-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #30
Kevin.Cook

Is this useless if i have a 73 MM TB?
Old 07-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is this useless if i have a 73 MM TB?
Probably no more useless than the 73mm TB to begin with ....lol im just messing with ya. I do see a lot of guys buy the TB and then turn around and sell it a couple months later. I did see a couple give aways on the Airaid site:
"The POWERAID Throttle Body Spacer is designed to enhance off-idle torque from 800 rpm to approximately 3,000 rpm. The spacer utilizes it’s unique, patented Helix Bore design to spin the incoming air charge as it passes through the throttle body spacer. The spinning air action boosts the velocity of the incoming air and contributes to better atomization of the air/fuel mixture as the air charge enters the combustion chamber. The end result is more part-throttle torque and improved mid-range power. Some POWERAID Throttle Body Spacers are not legal for sale or use in California and other states adopting California emission standards, while others are 50 state legal. View the product's vehicle applications to determine the legal status for each vehicle."

As they even state it helps give more PART THROTTLE TRQ...and OFF-IDLE TRQ? Not sure what that means but its an improvement from 800rpm -3K rpm. So again it doesnt admit to enhancing any power or provide gains in the top end nor does it say HOW MUCH it improves power, But it says it improves low-mid range trq and throttle response.

I think with the entire intake and exhaust system modified and a good datalog /custom dyno tune it might help things a bit but I havnt seen much performance gains for the cost with both the Airaid TB spacer or the BBK 73mm TB. Give it a shot though!

I did happen to reinstall my Mega AIr TB spacer. I belive its a full 1.25" thick. So far so good. No CEL and it has a bit more low end grunt from 2k-3,500k rpm Its too hard to tell right now as its over 85* right now and the car feels like crap at these temps. Ialso just did a KAM reset so it can relearn with the TB spacer.

Heres the link i read that got me to buy it:
http://v6mustangperformance.com/modi...0mm-tb-spacer/
Old 07-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #32
Kevin.Cook

Having the tb spacer or tb is some straight up gangster s*** imo.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #33
Kevin.Cook

So I guess a good question would be, if you have a 73 MM TB, and say the fins got shaved in ones upper intake mani. Would it be possible to bore the TB spacer to match the TB? Or would it be best to use one the way it comes?

I am always down for new ideas and if one shaved down the fins, I could see a spacer doing something at low range. Not much, but about $90 worth. lol. And for the person that doesn't need to go WOT alot, I could see how this would be nice for the daily cruiser.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I guess a good question would be, if you have a 73 MM TB, and say the fins got shaved in ones upper intake mani. Would it be possible to bore the TB spacer to match the TB? Or would it be best to use one the way it comes?

I am always down for new ideas and if one shaved down the fins, I could see a spacer doing something at low range. Not much, but about $90 worth. lol. And for the person that doesn't need to go WOT alot, I could see how this would be nice for the daily cruiser.
Boring the TB spacer would defeat the purpose, since its supposed to create that "tornado affect." With a bored out (and thus, smooth) TB spacer you're basically just increasing the plenum volume slightly.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #35
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Boring the TB spacer would defeat the purpose, since its supposed to create that "tornado affect." With a bored out (and thus, smooth) TB spacer you're basically just increasing the plenum volume slightly.

So we would need a pro to redo the design after boring it. Seems like alot of work. Just depends on if someone is in that "Cuz RACECAR" mood and will go through all of the trouble.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai