Trident Motorsports a Review - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #36
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
I have to say Kevin, I'm a fan of these. I went with the thick walled also.
I saw that on your video. Just watched it again today. Figured I would copy you this time around....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Too bad you can't mix and match. Black mufflers with thick walled polished tips is appealing.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #38
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Too bad you can't mix and match. Black mufflers with thick walled polished tips is appealing.
You might be able to email Ray and ask if they can custom make you one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #39

Region: Texas
We may be able to help with that Marius, let me know if that's something you want.
RayTrident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayTrident View Post
We may be able to help with that Marius, let me know if that's something you want.
It might be, I like black mufflers just not sure if I'd want the tips to visually disappear as well but still debating if I'm going to do headers instead this fall. How long is your sale running for?
Old 09-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
Trident Motorsports, WHO... What about Roush, Borla, Flowmaster, Trident Motorsports who, Trident makes and manufactures axle back mufflers for the Ford Mustang automobile line. I stumbled on Trident from a Mustang forum and my interest peaked when forum members compared Trident to Roush, hmmmm

This is my first review, on a Trident product, the review is really on the company because no matter what you buy, a pack of gum, a car or axle back mufflers, you are really buying the company first then the product second...

I did a search on the company and found Trident Motorsports, I went right to the mufflers and WOW they did look like Roush, Trident had thick walled tips, rolled tips, polished stainless and black mufflers, they were very cool looking, so I went right to the contact page on the website put my info in and asked some questions.

I got a reply from Ray, Ray is one of the co founders of the company and head of R&D, have you ever gone this far up on a contact form and spoke to an OWNER of a company and he took his time answering all my questions. What really struck me about Ray is when I asked, WHY should I buy from you...

Here is Ray's response:

"our Mustang products are relatively new to the market but our sister company and manufacturer have been building quality parts since 2008.

As for the quality of our exhaust, the welds and quality of the steel are where most companies cut corners. Simply put, we don't. Our exhaust should outlast your car, we offer a one year warranty against manufacturing defects.

If you consider the low cost and higher quality of our products, it should help with your decision. If I can do anything else to help please let me know."

Please note, emails where answered on a Sunday around 4pm NOT the next business day answered the same day.

This is what sold me on Trident Motorsports, an owner standing up for his product and being honest and forthright about his product line, the tone of Ray's email was on very serious side, I was sold on Trident Motorsports and purchased my polished thick walled mufflers and waited.

I did not have to wait too long as Trident shipped my mufflers via FedEx, 2nd day, that's 2 DAYS and they even arrived on Saturday. I had already taken my stock mufflers off the car and while taking the last stock muffler off, Fedex shows up with a white box around 25lbs, I sliced the taped and opened the box to reveal the polished mufflers wrapped in bubble wrap, the hangers wrapped in foam, the clamps for the tips and pipes wrapped in plastic and the tips wrapped in bubble wrap and when they say polished, they should say mirror polished.

Trident is serious about their quality of their manufacturing and it shows in their packaging.

I installed the mufflers and tips and they went very smoothly and was anxious to start the car and I remembered, an email reply from Ray...

"Our V6 exhaust has been described as exotic..."

Sure, lets hear them....

WOW, WOW they sound AWESOME!!!!

Can you compare Trident to Roush, Borla and Flowmaster...sure but it is a dis-service to do so as they are really in class all their own.

BTW, they are made in Texas and remember Don't mess with Texas

Trident Motorsports not WHO any more not a pretender but a true contender in an arena filled with heavy name hitters

Here's Ray's email, you can email and HE will get back to you

ray@trident-motorsports.com

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Ford racing x pipe actually will clean up your rasp

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm just curious to see of anyone has any feedback on the trident axle backs on a v6 with a bbk catted x-pipe and LT headers? I've been flopping around mufflers ever 4-6 months unhappy with sounds. I'm not looking for a v8 sound but something that sounds nice enough. I had the roush ones on before and with this set up they were extremely loud. Insanely loud. Anything would help...m

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
luisagordo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:06 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
As these are a straight flow design similiar to Roush, I don't think the sound would be much different.
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:07 AM   #43
Kevin.Cook

But that price difference though....

I am also going to be the guinea pig for a different set of brakes that are very affordable. So if that works out, then we will be able to get brake kits for fairly cheap.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

The price is great. Actually I liked everything about the set I had, just wished the drone wasn't so much.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:25 AM   #45
Kevin.Cook

Wait...it drones? How bad? Don't make me regret this purchase! I will send it RIGHT back! LOL
Old 09-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I loved the sound but could not deal with the drone. Too much and over to long of rpm range. Even installed resonators. Ended up removing them.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #47
Kevin.Cook

Aww s***....Now you make me want to cancel my purchase....

Did all you have at that time was the ABs?
Old 09-21-2015, 09:56 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Steeda tune and 3:55s. But as I stated earlier it might have been worse in mine as I have a vert. I've always put aftermarket exhausts on my cars, though they have always been V8s. Some were very loud. I don't mind loud. I will not deal with that much drone. I guess like the Roush axel backs, you can only do so much with a straight flow design and V6. Sorry, but that's what I went through.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #49
Kevin.Cook

Ok. If it is not really bad, I can add shorties later to help tame it. But if it is too bad, they are going back.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #50
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
You get what you pay for. In this case drone
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #51
Kevin.Cook

Hampton - Where are you at to share some of your real life experience with this? lol
Old 09-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #52
Registered Member

Regular

I've heard they were drone mufflers from multiple different people who have had them through different forums.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
it honestly seems like the only company that doesn't drone is borla. yeah, you'll pay double the price, but you'll get quality, no drone, and million mile warranty.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Correct. The nice exhaust note the AB generated was not worth dealing with the drone.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #55

The drone will depend on other mods, gears, etc. Different people also have different expectations, my car is deafening and I'd still be okay with a bit more volume.

Even with Borla there are still several different types of mufflers, I can tell you that with the Atak's on my 5.0 I have moderate drone. The S types have less, but they are also much less aggressive. Any straight through design like the Roush design, magnaflow race series, or ours will do less to quiet the note than a chambered muffler.

Kevin, if you try our exhaust and hate it contact me and I'll make it right.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:32 PM   #56
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
The drone will depend on other mods, gears, etc. Different people also have different expectations, my car is deafening and I'd still be okay with a bit more volume.

Even with Borla there are still several different types of mufflers, I can tell you that with the Atak's on my 5.0 I have moderate drone. The S types have less, but they are also much less aggressive. Any straight through design like the Roush design, magnaflow race series, or ours will do less to quiet the note than a chambered muffler.

Appreciate it Ray. If it is Pypes bad, then I will probably take them off right away. But if it's hardly noticeable, then it should be fine. Car has stock intake, headers, mid pipe, and 3.31s.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Correct. The nice exhaust note the AB generated was not worth dealing with the drone.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:35 PM   #58
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

Borla atak do not drone on my 5.0. Neither did the Magnaflow streets I had. I'm not sure you know what drone is exactly. But I have yet to hear drone with any Borla system.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:45 PM   #59
Kevin.Cook

I do know with my 2014 3.7, when it had the Airaid CAI, BBK TB, BBK Shorty Headers, Stock Mid Pipe, Borla S Types, and 3.73s - it did not drone.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Kevin, if you try our exhaust and hate it contact me and I'll make it right.[/QUOTE]

Even though their AB did not work for me, I will say they have amazing guest service.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #61

Quote:
Borla atak do not drone on my 5.0. Neither did the Magnaflow streets I had. I'm not sure you know what drone is exactly. But I have yet to hear drone with any Borla system.
Thanks for your vote of confidence.

I've owned 4 2011+ 5.0's now and have had almost every available aftermarket exhaust installed at one point or another..

Current ride is a 2012 gt with longtubes, offroad x, stock over axles and borla atak axlebacks.. There is moderate drone between about 2000-2750 rpms with my setup.

I mentioned the magnaflow race exhaust (their 5.0 axle back system is very similar to the pypes axle backs in that they are basically muffler deletes.. Their catback uses race bullet mufflers that also drone) as having drone.. Again, these are systems that I have had installed on my own car.

Our 2011-2014 v6 exhaust is meant to be relatively aggressive, as such we use a straight through muffler that gives great tone but is admittedly on the louder side. It may not be for everyone, but we produce parts that exhibit features that we enjoy on our cars.. And I believe Mustangs deserve an aggressive sound.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #62
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Thanks for your vote of confidence.

Your welcome.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
since we're discussing the v6 here, I can say borla ataks do not drone on my v6 whatsoever in any rpm range.. which is why I went with them over anything. they're loud as hell, yeah, sometimes too loud lol, but they definitely don't drone.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4
MPT Performance Tune, AM Laguna Seca Black 19" Rims, Borla Touring Axlebacks, Boss 302 Strut Tower Brace, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, aFe Pro Dry S Air Filter, Mustang GT Grille w/ Foglight Mesh, Taillight Tint, Tinted Door Ventvisors, Diode Dynamics LED's
jayochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #64
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
The Tridents, does drone a little with my lt headers, but I can say this, it isnt unbearable in any way, I daily drive mine and it isn't bad at all.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #65
Kevin.Cook

So I did a quality check on my set that just came in the mail. Not very impressed.

I took a picture of the box for kicks and giggles.

Mobile App users might need to view this on a computer in order to see the video.

My real concern is why these muffler tips are not staying still. Even with the bolts/nuts tightened all the way.

Hopefully someone from Trident Motorsports can offer a fix because I won't install these with how they are currently. I'd lose the muffler tips going down the road.

I will note that the driver side muffler tip is really loose when connecting it. The passenger side is fairly tight but has a tad of play. Not sure what the norm is for these types of setups and what should be expected... maybe I need to use Gorilla Glue?!

With the fitment of the tips and brackets, I am a little afraid to attempt the brackets that hold the mufflers to the over axle pipes when it is time for install.

Special Note: Apologize for the jingles. My wife's dog was running around.

And yes I know I have the mufflers swapped in the video. I just quickly laid them there for the video.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150924_180219.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	191481  
Attached Files
Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
So I did a quality check on my set that just came in the mail. Not very impressed.

I took a picture of the box for kicks and giggles.

Mobile App users might need to view this on a computer in order to see the video.

My real concern is why these muffler tips are not staying still. Even with the bolts/nuts tightened all the way.

Hopefully someone from Trident Motorsports can offer a fix because I won't install these with how they are currently. I'd lose the muffler tips going down the road.

I will note that the driver side muffler tip is really loose when connecting it. The passenger side is fairly tight but has a tad of play. Not sure what the norm is for these types of setups and what should be expected... maybe I need to use Gorilla Glue?!

With the fitment of the tips and brackets, I am a little afraid to attempt the brackets that hold the mufflers to the over axle pipes when it is time for install.

Special Note: Apologize for the jingles. My wife's dog was running around.

And yes I know I have the mufflers swapped in the video. I just quickly laid them there for the video.
Borla or bust man. Jeez that stinks... I would be pissed if I got that in the mail. Even pypes are better quality then that

Old 09-24-2015, 07:47 PM   #67
Registered Member

Regular

When you gonna learn Kevin? Lol
Old 09-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Kevin I cant open your vid on my g3 😥

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:51 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Borla or bust man. Jeez that stinks... I would be pissed if I got that in the mail. Even pypes are better quality then that

Pypes better quality? Damn they must be bad, I can't see the vid. 😥

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #70
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
When you gonna learn Kevin? Lol
Others had good experiences with them so I didn't expect to be the 1 off. But I should have known better with my luck.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Kevin I cant open your vid on my g3 😥

Sent from LG G3.
That is why I mentioned it might need to be viewed on a computer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang