Cervinis Type 4 Ram Air vs Mustang GT500 Carbon Fiber - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Cervinis Type 4 Ram Air vs Mustang GT500 Carbon Fiber

I am sure this has come up prior. I have a 14' V6 and am looking to lessen the weight, increase the appearance, performance and have no fitment issues. This being said, I found that the True Carbon hood weighs 30lbs, but nothing on the Cervinis Type 4 Ram Air hood. I would love to hear from individuals that have these hoods and also may have installed a procharger and the benefits of it with or without the hood

http://www.cervinis.com/13-14mustang...ml#prettyPhoto

http://www.trucarbon.net/Trucarbon_M...0025-a53kr.htm
kanas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Im picking up a Tru Fiber hood tomorrow as a matter of fact. Im getting the fiberglass version, but either way people really seem to like them. I think you'll be fine with either choice. Its hard to find anything bad about either company.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanas27 View Post
..... I have a 14' V6 and am looking to lessen the weight,
Going to a fiberglass hood will gain weight. The fiberglass hoods all weigh more than your aluminum hood. When I did the hood on my car we could easily move the aluminum hood around with ease and the fiberglass was considerably heavier. I didn't weigh them, but can tell you that it is definitely heavier.

Carbon fiber hoods are a different matter and most are lighter than the aluminum.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Going to a fiberglass hood will gain weight. The fiberglass hoods all weigh more than your aluminum hood. When I did the hood on my car we could easily move the aluminum hood around with ease and the fiberglass was considerably heavier. I didn't weigh them, but can tell you that it is definitely heavier.

Carbon fiber hoods are a different matter and most are lighter than the aluminum.
Personally I dont care about weight. I was really just talking about the quality of the 2 companies he's asking about.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

gentleman, thank you for your assistance. It has lifted some burden, but yet still undecided. I have heard of Cervinis and have come to hear about TrueFiber/. I think I will go with the side exhaust from Cervinis, and hood and fenders from TrueFiber/ Carbon Fiber. 30lbs sounds very nice compared to the steel I have and the fiberglass of weight....though it may benefit to performance...
Old 07-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

So why are you looking for weight reduction? Whats your goal?
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Social Stangman,
please keep me in the loop about your purchase of the truefiber hood, though Im considering the carbon fiber hood.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have a V6, and want to be more competitive for the 5.0. Especially when the time comes that I can add a turbo
Old 07-01-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
gentleman, thank you for your assistance. It has lifted some burden, but yet still undecided. I have heard of Cervinis and have come to hear about TrueFiber/. I think I will go with the side exhaust from Cervinis, and hood and fenders from TrueFiber/ Carbon Fiber. 30lbs sounds very nice compared to the steel I have and the fiberglass of weight....though it may benefit to performance...opcorn:
The stock hood isn't steel. It is aluminum.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Im sorry, maybe im missing something, but an $1800 carbon fiber hood that weighs 30 lbs? Maybe im a bit Function > Form but umm ... no.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Also, do you need hood pins for the CF hoods?

I'm also considering the Cervinis Ram Air hood to replace the corroding stock one.
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Also, do you need good pins for the CF hoods?

I'm also considering the Cervinis Ram Air hood to replace the corroding stock one.
yes, they mention that you have to have hood pins since it is so lite....
Old 07-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Im sorry, maybe im missing something, but an $1800 carbon fiber hood that weighs 30 lbs? Maybe im a bit Function > Form but umm ... no.
I agree that, it is a lot of money, but i'm thinking that what you get in return is greater than the cost and prestige of CF. I don't see much of that around here on cars.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Is it completely carbon fiber or is it fiberglass with a layer of CF on top for show?

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Social Stangman,
please keep me in the loop about your purchase of the truefiber hood, though Im considering the carbon fiber hood.
I'm picking it up tomorrow and dropping it off for paint on Friday. They said 3-5 days.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
Is it completely carbon fiber or is it fiberglass with a layer of CF on top for show?
Good point. If it is carbon fiber over a fiberglass skeleton, that's a very spendy price.

What I like about Cervinis is that they use the factory hinges and latch, and should be OK without hood pins.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
Old 07-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sent from my #racecar
to the best of my knowledge, it is complete carbon fiber. That is why you can choose between fiberglass or carbon fiber. It states "infused real carbon fiber"
Old 07-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
to the best of my knowledge, it is complete carbon fiber. That is why you can choose between fiberglass or carbon fiber. It states "infused real carbon fiber"
I'm a little suspicious about what they mean by "infused" CF...seems a bit vague.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
Old 07-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
I'm a little suspicious about what they mean by "infused" CF...seems a bit vague.
agreed, i guess I will have to call and make sure it's not Hydro-carboned. I want the true, the only, CF
Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
For that price it better not be hydro carbon. But if it's fiberglass with a single carbon fiber layer on top it won't be as light.

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For that price it better not be hydro carbon. But if it's fiberglass with a single carbon fiber layer on top it won't be as light.

Sent from my #racecar
yea, if that is the case, I will have to do some serious thinking. I want real "only" carbon fiber for that price and perfect fitment.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

So I picked up my hood today. The quality looks very good. The body shop I took it had some one that worked there that had a 14 Mustang GT. he had the CF version on it. I didn't get to talk to him but the guy I was dealing with was saying that it is a very high quality hood that was a direct bolt on with no modifications. Just a little pricy. I can't see it being worth 1800.00, I'm not a fan of CF on a Mustang anyway.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:04 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
So I picked up my hood today. The quality looks very good. The body shop I took it had some one that worked there that had a 14 Mustang GT. he had the CF version on it. I didn't get to talk to him but the guy I was dealing with was saying that it is a very high quality hood that was a direct bolt on with no modifications. Just a little pricy. I can't see it being worth 1800.00, I'm not a fan of CF on a Mustang anyway.
great, thanks for the inquisitive feedback. I am not the hugest of fans for plain carbon fiber myself for exterior panels, though my intent is to have it mostly painted with just hints of the fiber shown for detail. My goal is for the weight savings and the prestige of the carbon fiber to rival more deserving competitors with less quality products.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang