Question about an Xpipe - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
Question about an Xpipe

Ever since I had my lt headers and high flow cats and hpipe put on I have had too much rasp, I was at first going to go with new resonators and all of that, but I took my car too a guy that does custom exhaust where I live, and he normally knows what he is talking about and does good work, he was talking about wanting to make me an xpipe to switch out for the hpipe, and possibly make me a "J" pipe to go onto the Xpipe. He tried to explain to me what a Jpipe was, but he had only ever made one before, and it went on a 2014 Camaro.
My question is, do you all know what a Jpipe does when it is attached to your Xpipe, and will it help out on the sound at all?
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Dont know what a J pipe is but X or H your sound will suck since you removed the factory CATS and Resonators. Just get some decent resonators installed or get rid of the LT headers.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Depending on the cost, I say go for it. Some have tried J-pipe's towards the mufflers, never heard anything good happening though. But you could definitely find out how good his idea works and let us all know. :-p

Also, high flow cats really don't tame the sound much on our cars, from what I've seen BBK LT's, O/R X, 5.0 resonators, and Trident mufflers sounded good. Resonators will do more good than the high flows as far as sound is concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Your mid pipe is going to change the sound a little bit, but not as drastically as it did when you installed the LTs and highflow cats. Adding resonators/j-pipe is only going to do so much. IMO, LTs and O/R pipes belong on v8s because they make the v6s sound like rice crap.

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've been dying for someone to try this, take one for the team.

Headers > single 3" pipe > dual exit at the rear. It will flow plenty enough, and the single pipe may break up the rasp. I have absolutely no idea, but it sounds neat.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

Headers > single 3" pipe > dual exit at the rear. It will flow plenty enough, and the single pipe may break up the rasp. I have absolutely no idea, but it sounds neat.
That is what your fiances car is for. That could be pretty good actually
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

LOL...like a V6 M3? It will change the sound for sure...just not sure how well.

Ok, after looking it up all a J pipe is is a pipe that dumps out from before the muffler....it sounds like BS to me...Id just go with a BOSS 302 H pipe and side exits...
Old 07-02-2015, 09:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

A J-pipe is a resonator tube used to eliminate drone. Believe some are made to allow changing of the length to allow fine tuning.
Fixing exhaust drone with resonator tube (aka j tube/j pipe): how to calculate tube length : FocusST
Does it work for rasp?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
That is what your fiances car is for. That could be pretty good actually
Nga im broke
Old 07-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Nga im broke
I thought the moats was supposed to be more economical :p not to get too personal here but I'm sure you have a new job, is it the same stuff you were doing before?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Well the problem is, the stock cats will no longer fit because of the lt headers, and I will be putting resonators back on, so I am stuck with the highflows unless I want to pay 200+ for aftermarkets, he has quoted me at $160 for all the work he is talking about, which is very reasonable. He did my exhaust when I had an 04 GT and it was flawless, so its not like he one of the shady ones. But back to the Jpipe thing, I showed him how the boss 302 pipe looked, and we may try somthing like that maybe but as an Xpipe.
I just wanted your thoughts on the matter, and I figured Volt would have some sort of Idea XD, but the guy even said he has no idea if it will work or not, but it might be worth a try, and he wanted me to research on it a bit for my car to see, but I haven't found anything so far.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
A J-pipe is a resonator tube used to eliminate drone. Believe some are made to allow changing of the length to allow fine tuning.
Fixing exhaust drone with resonator tube (aka j tube/j pipe): how to calculate tube length : FocusST
Does it work for rasp?
Oh wow, ok. So its simmilar to the tubes that pop out from the intake correct? Its closed off and just a space for sound to travel to dissipate and or slow down and remove or lessen high rasp.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Oh wow, ok. So its simmilar to the tubes that pop out from the intake correct? Its closed off and just a space for sound to travel to dissipate and or slow down and remove or lessen high rasp.
That's what I have got out of it so far, it may not cure it completely but it may knock off just enough of the bite to were its far more tolerable.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
I thought the moats was supposed to be more economical :p not to get too personal here but I'm sure you have a new job, is it the same stuff you were doing before?

Lol it is / was, but now its the weekend car and i got another mazdaspeed3 that will eventually become the family car.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:35 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Lol it is / was, but now its the weekend car and i got another mazdaspeed3 that will eventually become the family car.
Miata gets corrected into moats lol. You sir have an addiction!
Old 07-04-2015, 04:38 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

OP google Solo Performance exhaust company as they offer a muffler delete J-pipe you may find interesting.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
OP google Solo Performance exhaust company as they offer a muffler delete J-pipe you may find interesting.
I looked it up, and at least from what the camaro forums have said about it, apparently it works pretty well/
Old 07-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Regardless I still think the BOSS H pipe might be cool addition and may help the sound out too....but that's just me, lol
Old 07-08-2015, 09:11 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

I was just gona let yall know, we got the exhaust straightened out and it sounds amazing!
Old 07-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #20

Region: California
What did you end up doing to it?
BrandonLewis11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

We changed out my Hpipe for an Xpipe, necked down the outlet of the highflow cats from 3" down to 2 1/4, and installed my resonators back on and we didn't even need the Jpipe it sounded MUCH better after we did that, it brought back that sound I had lost from installing the lt headers and the highflow cats, and made it deeper, like It should have been from the start.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

and negated all the hp gains you got from them... 2 1/4 is tiny, and those stock resonators arent doing you any favors. If it sounds good though, more power to you, its not easy to do on these motors.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
and negated all the hp gains you got from them... 2 1/4 is tiny, and those stock resonators arent doing you any favors. If it sounds good though, more power to you, its not easy to do on these motors.
It still has more power than it did before on the top end, I can definitely tell, I may not have quiet as much as I would have had, but I would rather sacrifice some power to be able to drive it without shame lol, then have more power and hate the sound of it!
Old 07-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Amen. I have heard some bad 3.7s ...
Old 07-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Amen. I have heard some bad 3.7s ...
Yep its a sign when not only you hate it, but so does your gf and your family XD, I knew I had to do somthing no matter the cost lol
Old 07-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Post an exhaust clip when you can!

Procharged D1 on 12Lbs, MPT 93 Tune, 73mm BBK TB, Ported Upper/Lower Intakes, BBK Shorty Headers, FRPP Cut n Clamp Xpipe, Borla S-Types, Barton Short Shifter/Blowfish Bracket, SS Clutch Line, Whiteline Trans Bushing, One Piece Driveshaft, Front and Rear Tower Brace, Whiteline Front and Rear Sway Bars, Whiteline Adj LCAs/Adj UCA, BMR Relocation Brackets, BMR adj Panhard Bar, Eibach Sportlines, FRPP Dampers, 20" AMRs, 3.55 gears, Brembos
Mean14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean14 View Post
Post an exhaust clip when you can!
Alright, I need to find the time to buy me a dash cam, because it sounds better driving than it does just reving it up.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Get a friend to film a drive by or something. The cars always do sound better under load than just free revving.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Get a friend to film a drive by or something. The cars always do sound better under load than just free revving.
Indeed, I may have to do just that!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Sorry for the double post, but here is the vids yall have requested, I am sure it is not the best quality, but its taken with an iphone, so eh what can you do.

BEFORE (terrible rasp)

AFTER Drive By

AFTER Exhaust Rev
Old 07-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1 and I wouldnt have wasted the money swapping out the H.
Like Volt was saying more power to you. Its your car and as long as you're happy with it all the better. Besides i shouldnt be so quick to give away my secrets to a great sounding exhaust LOL
Old 07-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
+1 and I wouldnt have wasted the money swapping out the H.
Like Volt was saying more power to you. Its your car and as long as you're happy with it all the better. Besides i shouldnt be so quick to give away my secrets to a great sounding exhaust LOL
Well, normally I would agree, but apparently it worked out, and it sounds much better now! But like I said he only charged me 160 for everything, xpipe and all the work. I can't argue with that price, as you cant even buy an xpipe for that from a major retailer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang