Gear and Driveshaft plunge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
Gear and Driveshaft plunge

So I'm planning to take the big plunge next month. Found a shop in Richmond that seems pretty respectable. (midatlanticperformance.net) Going with 3.55 gears to replace the 2.73s I have now. (Don't start about the 3.73s. I want to retain some mileage while having an edge on the 3.31s the performance pack guys have.) With this work being over my head, I thought it a good time to swap out the driveshaft at the same time. No extra fee for that as it has to come off anyway and they can look at the pinion angles for me too. Anyway, I'm looking for opinions on two questions.

1) $750 for gears (parts and labor) seems a tad on the high side but still fair, right? Keep away from the Ford Racing Motive gears I'm told also.

2) I'm running the Eibach Pro Kit with a 1" drop up front and a 1.5" drop in the rear. Opinions are all over the place so I'm looking for anyone who knows first hand; 3.5" or 4" driveshaft? I hear about clearance issues but I also see where folks have some big time lowered cars with no trouble with a 4" shaft. (Let me say it first because I know it's coming... "That's what she said.")

Opinions welcomed. (Yes, I'm trying to keep up with Kevin Cook but it's a tough road!)
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Gear and Driveshaft plunge

When I was shopping around for my gear swap, mid Atlantic had quoted me $500 for parts/labor. They were too busy so I ended up getting it done at Performance Autosport Inc. for a little more. (3.73s)

I also have a 4" 1 piece aluminum drive shaft installed, not currently lowered. I can't remember what your question was as I type this because I'm on mobile and can't refer back to your post. I'll try to edit when I'm not lazy lol.

Ok reread your post. With a 1.5" drop you won't have to worry about clearance issues on a 4". I'd get whatever you find the best deal on. I chose 4" because I found a killer deal on Craigslist for one that would have been stupid to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

How long ago did you get the $500 quote on gears if you don't mind me asking. Also, the Performance Autosport, is that the other shop by the Diamond as well?
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
How long ago did you get the $500 quote on gears if you don't mind me asking. Also, the Performance Autosport, is that the other shop by the Diamond as well?

Yea that's the other shop. And it was around early February I believe.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

Maybe get each others real name so he can say you referred him and you heard about his labor cost so you might be interested.

750 for gears still seems ok if you really want them. I would first check on what they will warranty and how you can go about getting the gears warrantied if possible.

And on your last part, you are making me blush. Lol jk
Old 07-07-2015, 06:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I lied. I just remembered it was through fb message so I scrolled through my history.

The quote was $685 parts/labor.
I think my $500 quote was a shop down in NC.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

What did you think about the other place, Performance Autosports Die?
Old 07-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
750.00 parts and labor for gears isn't bad at all. As far as the DS the 3.5" will be fine. The Pro Kit is very mild, .08 and 1.2" actually, if you decide to go lower you won't have to worry about drive shaft issues then.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
My ride is lowered and I have the 3.5" driveshaft from driveshaft shop.
No problems.

You should save and get some lower control arms for the rear, Ive noticed much better acceleration/pull and less rear end squatting with them. Also got a panhard bar and rear upper control arm
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:57 AM   #10
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
lucky dog
Old 07-08-2015, 11:20 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What did you think about the other place, Performance Autosports Die?

I liked the owners and people that work there. Their shop is also very nice. The gear swap was done in half a day.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

That's helpful Seven. Thanks. With my living in Williamsburg, going to Richmond to drop off the car for a full day is quite a logistical problem (and possibly marital - no way I can hide that from the wife!)
Old 07-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #13
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
That's helpful Seven. Thanks. With my living in Williamsburg, going to Richmond to drop off the car for a full day is quite a logistical problem (and possibly marital - no way I can hide that from the wife!)
I hear ya. For some of the items, I ended up dropping my car off for a bit longer! lol. Plus with work schedules and such, makes it that much more difficult.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Although my car already has 3.73's my local dealer charges $750 to install gears and the local Hot Rod shop wants $100 more.
I've got the Sportlines which lower the car a little more and I've got Shaftmasters 3.5" driveline............2005-2010 Ford Mustang Aluminum Driveshaft (although it says 2005-2010 it is for the 2011/2014, and at $625 shipped the price is right.
I could have gone with a 4" although I can't see it unless you've got a high HP car.
I assume when you lowered your car you put in an adjustable pan hard bar, but if not it is worth while to get the rearend centered again after you drop it.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
You will really like the Ford 3: 55 gears! I also went from 2:73s and had the same concerns about 3:73s. I already had a Steeda tune and the combination of the two completely transformed the ride. I heard the same concerns about Ford Racing Motive gears. $750 is a fair price. The Ford dealers in my area where uninteresting in doing the swap. They quoted around $1600!
Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #16
Kevin.Cook

When are you ordering the stuff? Right before the install?

I am sure you know I am Procharging in the Fall. So that might set you back in the race just a hair.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:38 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Likely going to take the plunge the middle or end of next month. Doing a lot of traveling and teaching between now and then. As far as the Procharger! I'm anxious to see that. Just thinking about the whine is worth it alone. Not sure I can keep up with you on that upgrade. Divorce attorney fees + Procharger = wave off.. (for now!)
Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltwings View Post
Anything is possible if you really want it.
Is this statement based on personal experience or hearsay?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:19 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

I will say I personally thought a Procharger would be impossible for me. The thought of dropping 8-10k on getting it all done seemed scary. Very scary. Especially when you have a wife and bills. Such as rent, 2 car payments, student loan, etc.

But with luck....a lot of it, a kit was presented to me for a very good price. And Voltwings (not Boltwings), offered to assist with the install.....for some food. LOL

Had this opportunity not presented itself, I would not have tried this. As I do not have $10,000 nor the self control to save until I had that.

So I believe, if you really want it to happen, and it is meant to happen, then it will happen. Just have to keep your eyes and ears open to surrounding possibilities.

............and that is all for the Dr. Phil show starring Kevin Cook. Have a great day everyone!!!
Old 07-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Well put Dr. Phil......................I mean Mr. Kevin Cook.
That is what this site is all about...................helping each other in whatever way we can.............Amen!
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Well put Dr. Phil......................I mean Mr. Kevin Cook.
That is what this site is all about...................helping each other in whatever way we can.............Amen!
Very much so. And had I not been a member on this site, I would not have got the deal I got on the Procharger kit.

So as much trolling and chaos that goes on, on this website, it does have its good moments. I am proud to say I have been on ME for a bit. I have been on other forums and most are too dead to even compare. Dead as in no one is ever online. LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang