New car battery - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Send a message via Yahoo to roushMarlon831
New car battery

Anyone have any suggestion on a battery brand that's sure to last and is reliable?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
roushMarlon831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 04:26 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Did your current battery give you 3 to 4 years of trouble free service before it died? If so, consider one of them as a good replacement.

My other vehicle, a Ford F150, always gets a FoMoCo battery, as they are extremely reliable and priced to compete with other batteries available. Dealership parts departments sell them, and are very competitive in their pricing.

When it comes to most parts, (especially batteries) if you buy cheap, you get cheap.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

It only gave me 2 years. My car is 2013 and it's already drained out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roushMarlon831 View Post
It only gave me 2 years. My car is 2013 and it's already drained out

If it's not covered under the bumper to bumper, the least the dealer should do for you, at no charge, is to do a "parasitic battery drain test".
2 years is a defective battery or a parasitic battery drain. Now-a-days everything shuts itself off after a short delay if left on accidentally. I would hope the mustang has come at least that far with its technology.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Ive had good luck with the Dura Last Gold.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
If it's not covered under the bumper to bumper, the least the dealer should do for you, at no charge, is to do a "parasitic battery drain test".

2 years is a defective battery or a parasitic battery drain. Now-a-days everything shuts itself off after a short delay if left on accidentally. I would hope the mustang has come at least that far with its technology.

I'm going to the dealer today and see if they can do that for me because your right, a battery that last two years has something wrong with it

Old 07-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
New car battery

My cars have interstate, then again we're an interstate dealer. Battery in my Impala went dead this year (6 years) and the Porsche's battery is close to 7 years old. Always been reliable for me, and my customers. But I haven't had any luck with durlast batteries.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

My understanding is that most car batteries available today are made by Johnson Controls, regardless of whose name is on the sticker.

Knowing this, when I replaced the battery in my old Focus, I just went with the AutoZone brand...no problems and lasted for years until I traded it in for the Mustang.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Recon View Post
My cars have interstate, then again we're an interstate dealer. Battery in my Impala went dead this year (6 years) and the Porsche's battery is close to 7 years old. Always been reliable for me, and my customers. But I haven't had any luck with durlast batteries.

I live close to an interstate battery store and that's the battery I was going to go for. Heard and read good reviews on it

Old 07-08-2015, 06:50 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Yes they are very good. I'm putting one in my Roush when the current battery goes bad.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
My understanding is that most car batteries available today are made by Johnson Controls, regardless of whose name is on the sticker.

Knowing this, when I replaced the battery in my old Focus, I just went with the AutoZone brand...no problems and lasted for years until I traded it in for the Mustang.
Just found this...
"The majority of car batteries are created by 3 manufacturers - Delphi, Exide and Johnson Controls Industries. Delphi makes some EverStart models sold in Walmart and ACDelco. Johnson Control Industries makes Duralast seen in Autozone stores, Diehard - sold in Sears, Kirkland - the Costco brand, Motorcraft - which Ford sells, some of the EverStarts, and Interstate. Exide makes Exide batteries, Champion, Napa and even a % of the EverStart batteries."

I never knew that!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:30 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

^ Hey, thanks for finding the more detailed info! I wonder if any of the "big three" battery makers is better than the others?

I've also toyed with the idea of getting an Optima battery for weight savings when my current battery dies, but I'm not sure if it's worth the cost. I also vaguely recall reading something about harder starts in cold weather, which we get a fair share of here in MA!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:16 PM   #13
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Optima used to have great batteries. My old truck had a big stereo and under drive pulleys and never had a problem with a dead battery or dimming lights. I read recently that they have gone downhill.

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:20 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Optima FTW X2

I have had optimas last longer than the cars they were in. I actually took an optima out of my old truck (2000 Tacoma) and put the battery in my replacement truck (2007 Tacoma) and that battery lasted 9 years and 150k+ miles combined between the 2 trucks. Both having big stereos, one had shaved door handles with door poppers (draws a ton of amps). I left the battery in when I traded the 07 in but that battery was still going strong!!

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have an optima red top in my 2012. Just make sure you get the one with the positive post on the right side as u face it (drivers side)
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So now my choice is between optima and interstate hmm. Lol

Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Did your current battery give you 3 to 4 years of trouble free service before it died? If so, consider one of them as a good replacement.

My other vehicle, a Ford F150, always gets a FoMoCo battery, as they are extremely reliable and priced to compete with other batteries available. Dealership parts departments sell them, and are very competitive in their pricing.

When it comes to most parts, (especially batteries) if you buy cheap, you get cheap.
I have my factory battery now for 5 years this October 2015 and its in great shape.

I am the worlds defender of the 3.7 V6 model.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:03 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
optima makes bad *** batteries but i dont think they fit in the stock battery tray in our cars

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:05 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
optima makes bad *** batteries but i dont think they fit in the stock battery tray in our cars

There is an optima for any car bud.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
2010 2014 Mustang GT V6 Lightweight Lithium ion Racing Battery 720CCA Made in US | eBay

I would love to try this one day.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Mine came with 3 different plastic hold down things that the stock long bolt goes through. I still have my stock battery and keep it charged in case of an emergency. Batteries are EXPENSIVE lol
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
Old 07-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I would highly advise avoilding lithium ion battery's due to there nature of catching fire if they are not Maintainted 100% to there liking.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
I would highly advise avoilding lithium ion battery's due to there nature of catching fire if they are not Maintainted 100% to there liking.

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know that could happen

Old 07-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Another vote for Optima red top. I bought my last one in 2012, ended up selling the car it was in, left it stored in my basement for more than a year and a half until my trucks battery gave up the ghost, dropped it in without charging expecting it to be dead, truck cranked over stronger than it ever had since I bought it. Since then I've sold the truck and the Optima is now waiting in my garage until needed again.
My last Optima was 10 years old when I bought it from a junkyard for $10, used it a couple years and sold the car with it still going. I've also seen an Optima go bad after less than 2 years though, so there's always a chance for a dud.

Sent from my XT1095 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
95Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:19 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I've been using Interstate, the upper tier one for harsh climates and it's pretty good. No problems ever on multiple vehicles even in -30F.
I would prefer to have an Optima though. The only problem is...I only think about the battery when it's dead. Then it's kinda too late to order an Optima and wait. No one local has them.
So, now, after this topic refreshed my intentions to get an Optima, I'm going to order one and put it in before Winter. Plus they look kinda cool
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:16 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
There is an optima for any car bud.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
no they dont dude... you have to get a aftermarket battery tray to install one on an 11-14 there battery is too big for the stock tray.. pretty sure upr makes the tray for it

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
Old 07-10-2015, 06:23 AM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
no they dont dude... you have to get a aftermarket battery tray to install one on an 11-14 there battery is too big for the stock tray.. pretty sure upr makes the tray for it

You know what you are correct. I said that without actually looking and assumed that a great company like optima would have got this under control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436527398.465957.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	186819

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-10-2015, 06:39 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

yep but the upr tray is like 120 bucks so after it's all said and done you're gonna end up spending about 400 bucks to put an optima in your 11-14 mustang

Old 07-10-2015, 06:51 AM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
yep but the upr tray is like 120 bucks so after it's all said and done you're gonna end up spending about 400 bucks to put an optima in your 11-14 mustang

Still worth it in my opinion

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #30
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott9050 View Post
Sounds like it would give at least a 35 HP gain.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't have to get a separate try for my optima red top. It comes with 3 separate bolt downs and I even swapped out the foam blanket wrap and the stock over strap fits. Idk
Old 07-10-2015, 04:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

3 to 4 years is a pathetic life span for a car battery. I got 7 years from a blemished Interstate battery for less than $40
BrewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I'm on the road so can't verify but maybe mine did come with a tray for the battery now that I think of it but it was nothing I paid separately for or had to get elsewhere. Everything came with the battery and bolted down with the stock strap and bolt
Old 10-03-2015, 10:27 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Hi guys,

My factory battery is about to die. It is about 4.5 years old. Am between getting an Interstate for around $ 150 and install it myself or just be lazy and call AAA, have them install it, costs $ 111. Does anybody know what brand they use? What would you do? Thanks!
derklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 12:41 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by derklink View Post
Hi guys,

My factory battery is about to die. It is about 4.5 years old. Am between getting an Interstate for around $ 150 and install it myself or just be lazy and call AAA, have them install it, costs $ 111. Does anybody know what brand they use? What would you do? Thanks!
That's horrible your factory battery is just about dead and its not even 5 years old. My factory battery is 5 years old and good to go thus far.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang