Procharger? My wife thinks so now.... :) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
Kevin.Cook

Procharger? My wife thinks so now.... :)

So I made a deal with my wife today. She gets a 2nd puppy, I get a supercharger this fall/winter. OF course it will take some saving up. A company is buying my IT Certifications for 1 year to use for their corporate account - $1,000. Plus, I will have a paycheck with no bills on it in September - $2,200. Then I should be able to save about $400 a month going from there. Of course, the more everything will cost, the longer it will take to save.

So ideas and thoughts are welcome. I am not super familiar with this. I DO know it gets the biggest gains of course. The only kit I am aware of is: Procharger ProCharger High Output Intercooled Mustang Supercharger System 1FT212-SCI (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

The forum code will knock off about $200 I think. Not sure what labor will be.

Is that the complete kit? Meaning nothing else will be needed? Will my current mods support this?

I am clueless here but I have held out because my wife has been adamant about saving for a house but she wants a puppy so bad she folded. LOL!

I don't want to be too cheap with this. Because I know this will grenade if I do. However, I want to do everything at the most reasonable price. If it is going to cost over 10,000, I will just forget this dream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
You're going to be close to 10,000 by the time it's all said and done.the kit alone is what, just under 6k?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

I didn't see the link so... Let's say 5400.00 for the kit, probably around 1500.00 for an install. Does it come with the injectors and fuel pump? You might need to swap your gears too. Oh yeah and a good tune as well plus a dyno run....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Kevin.Cook

I know people preferred 3.55s for FI, will 3.73s not work at all? It comes with 50 lb injectors.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
That's awesome man. Good luck! I don't have any advice for you but I do know I hate you now! Lol
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Coyote swap for less 😎

IG @Oxford5pointoh
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Well if it's not going to work with my current setup, then I will scrap the deal with my wife! LOL

I figured the kit would include everything and all I would need to pay is labor. But now that I see the kit details, won't I need new gauges and stuff also?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I know people preferred 3.55s for FI, will 3.73s not work at all? It comes with 50 lb injectors.
I'm not 100% on the gears but from what I think I know 3.73 is too much gear. Like you said 3.55 or even 3.31. I'm pretty sure you need a new fuel pump as well.

Good luck with this. This is something I'd love to do but to be honest I'm not sure I want to deal with it. I can't speak for this kit but some other kits my friends had on other cars were a bit finicky.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Coyote swap for less 😎

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Do you mean trade for a 5.0? I still owe too much on this car and my credit isn't exactly in line to get approved for a $40,000 car. Lol
Old 07-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Another thing Kevin, if you have a warranty I'm pretty sure this will void every aspect of that.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Just giving you a hard time man. You know a coyote doesn't cost 40k right? Lol.

Good luck with your kit. You really should install it yourself and save some coin. I can't imagine paying someone to have that much fun installing that in my car.

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Well I don't see install instructions on AMs website.

I would want a newer coyote. Not one that someone has beat to hell. With any options it may have, tax, title, and license, it adds a bit more. I would be very specific if I got a 5.0. It wouldn't be just a plain base one.

Maybe I am biting off more then I can chew with thinking I can afford this? Yes like $4,000 is alot in the fall but it still won't be enough to afford s***. LOL
Old 07-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
my procharger experience:

with the base tune, on the base pulley, you can likely get by with a 3.73 and a 27.5 - 28" tire to break it up a little. If you start changing pulleys and really opening it up, you may have problems.

carefully inspect the check valve that goes between the IM and valve cover. I had a friend whose failed and he was boosting the crankcase. I've rigged up a few setups on the mazdas where we run a sealed can for daily driving, and then kick over to a vented can for boost. There are a few options you can do with the procharger, but their setup is pretty lackluster stock.

Pretty sure the intake fitment isnt the greatest. My friends was worn completely off on the bottom where it went over the radiator, and his filter was pretty snug fitting as well. Just something to be aware of.

other than that, id say as long as you keep your goals modest you should be happy. Its the "always wanting a little more" that gets you.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:05 PM   #14
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
my procharger experience:

with the base tune, on the base pulley, you can likely get by with a 3.73 and a 27.5 - 28" tire to break it up a little. If you start changing pulleys and really opening it up, you may have problems.

carefully inspect the check valve that goes between the IM and valve cover. I had a friend whose failed and he was boosting the crankcase. I've rigged up a few setups on the mazdas where we run a sealed can for daily driving, and then kick over to a vented can for boost. There are a few options you can do with the procharger, but their setup is pretty lackluster stock.

Pretty sure the intake fitment isnt the greatest. My friends was worn completely off on the bottom where it went over the radiator, and his filter was pretty snug fitting as well. Just something to be aware of.

other than that, id say as long as you keep your goals modest you should be happy. Its the "always wanting a little more" that gets you.
I appreciate it Voltwings. With your experience, what would you say the complete cost for a modest setup is? As well as stuff needed? Is that Procharger kit really the entire setup I would need for my Wants? I don't want to go all out. I would be happy with around 380-400 rwhp.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #15
Kevin.Cook

I was looking at kits other people got. Seems they all go for 5-6k?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
I was looking at kits other people got. Seems they all go for 5-6k?
That sounds about right. You will be easily in the 8-9000.00 range.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:30 PM   #17
Kevin.Cook

So if it will take 9,000. I will have to save up until about Fall of next year. Maybe suspension and spray then? lol

But I will admit, that Procharger looks sexy as f*** under the hood.

Did everyone else have to save up for over a year to get this? Lol. Or is everyone else ballin? O_O
Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Well you could always look into a used kit. They go for $3500 or so if the seller needs it gone. But then you need a driveshaft.

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 PM   #19
Kevin.Cook

I have a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
So if it will take 9,000. I will have to save up until about Fall of next year. Maybe suspension and spray then? lol

But I will admit, that Procharger looks sexy as f*** under the hood.

Did everyone else have to save up for over a year to get this? Lol. Or is everyone else ballin? O_O
It's a big expense for sure. And, yes it does look sexy as hell under the hood.

As far as saving that never seems to work to well for me. Unfortunately I have CC's that if I really wanted to I could make it happen. That's the real scary part, I'm a spender so I have to be very careful or else I start going crazy with spending.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #21
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
It's a big expense for sure. And, yes it does look sexy as hell under the hood.

As far as saving that never seems to work to well for me. Unfortunately I have CC's that if I really wanted to I could make it happen. That's the real scary part, I'm a spender so I have to be very careful or else I start going crazy with spending.
Same here. I cant save for s***! Which worries me on this mod.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I saw a 2015 roush stage yesterday and the sticker on that was only 40,000.00

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 AM ----------

Stage 2 sorry!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sticks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

You could do what I did lol sell off parts you aren't going to need anymore, haven't installed, or could live with out

2011 3.7 mustang
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #24
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric e View Post
You could do what I did lol sell off parts you aren't going to need anymore, haven't installed, or could live with out

2011 3.7 mustang
That sounds very involved. What all did you get rid of? I can't imagine anything being dropped on my car currently besides maybe the cai. But that doesn't even scratch the surface.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I sold a lot of parts actually lol but I took off my cai, throttle body, and axle backs. I'm going with a twin turbo set up though

2011 3.7 mustang
Old 07-09-2015, 09:40 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

That still doesn't even sound like $1,000 made back.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I also sold some head lights, lowering springs, louvers, driveshaft, stock intake manifolds, and some other stuff.

2011 3.7 mustang
Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 PM   #28
Kevin.Cook

O_o don't you want the driveshaft for this? Or are you talking about the stock stuff?

I was looking at Lethal Performance's Procharger but they have 2. I can't figure out what the difference is besides one being $600 more then the other. And the description is a Giant wall of text. Gives me a headache looking at it.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I still have a 1 piece lol but I sold a dss for the 5.0

2011 3.7 mustang
Old 07-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #30
Kevin.Cook

I was excited at the thought of getting a procharger. But as reality now sets in, 4k isn't enough to even try to get one. Used ones rarely go up for sale. And I save money about as well as an addicted gambler.

So would spray and full suspension be more practical?

I have concerns about spray. First, you can't enjoy it all the time. And around Austin, TX, to hit spray anywhere around here is asking for death.

Soo hard to know what to do from here.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Before diving into this I would look to see who in your area has experience tuning v6 stangs or boosted setups. MPT does do remote tuning, but to really dial it in you will want a dyno tune. The tuning part is expensive and one of the most critical parts. The "tune" that comes with the kit is only really designed to allow the car to be started and driven to a tuner shop.

Also, not to be the "Adult" but I would figure if your trying to scrape together cash you might be better off enjoying the v6 for what it is and putting the cash towards paying off the car. You will be sinking a lot more money than just the kit, and in regards to the tunes that is money you can not recoup. I love boosted V6 stangs, but unless you have another DD and the cash to easily burn for repairs, you might be better holding off for another car down the road.

I'll give you a rough run down on the costs:
Kit: $5400
Tune: Remote/dyno 600+ after its all said and done.
Labor: $1500 (regional specific)
Cost: $7500-8000K

That's a huge chunk of change to throw at a depreciating asset. Again, I love boosted 6's, but unless you have money to throw away, it's a massive expense with no appreciating benefit.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #32
Kevin.Cook

That is a slap of truth i needed. Thank you sir. Mod - yall can remove this thread. Was a momentary lapse of reality. Lol.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #33
Registered Member

Regular

I know this isn't helpful, but the price difference from a v6 to a v8 is the same or less in some cases than this mod. You said you were hoping for 380-400 rwhp. Funny that's about what a coyote puts down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1436498459.882821.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	186811

IG @Oxford5pointoh
Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #34
Kevin.Cook

Plus there is no one in Austin, TX i would trust enough to tune a boosted 3.7 enough to pull this off now that you mention it. It was a job in itself to find someone to do a gear install. And you saw how that went.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Plus there is no one in Austin, TX i would trust enough to tune a boosted 3.7 enough to pull this off now that you mention it. It was a job in itself to find someone to do a gear install. And you saw how that went.
Drive a little further to Kempner. Jeff from central Texas performance is one of the best in the country.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang