Help! Antifreeze leaking! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2015, 02:06 PM   #36
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
One thing if you re-use the old anti-freeze is to pour it through some cheesecloth or a paper filter before it goes back in the car...that way you'll screen out any solid junk that might be floating around.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #37
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
So got a call from my dealer today. They said it was about a gallon low on coolant but they pressure tested everything and couldn't find any leaks, no coolant in the oil, and nothing that they could see was wrong other than being low. Still curious to see if there's a new hose with a check valve. I'll pop the hood when they drop it off. As I said, the overflow tank was completely full. Curious to see where that level is when I get it back as well. Wish I had a before pic.

Weird...

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #38
Registered Member

Regular

Could be a slow leak, or maybe there was just a big air bubble trapped in the system somehow that was "burped" out by the dealer. Has anyone ever added/removed coolant from your car before?

Fingers crossed it was just one of those freak things and not a real problem.

If the dealer didn't swap out the degas bottle hose (I'm betting they didn't), definitely worth picking one up for $25.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 03:15 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
So got a call from my dealer today. They said it was about a gallon low on coolant but they pressure tested everything and couldn't find any leaks, no coolant in the oil, and nothing that they could see was wrong other than being low. Still curious to see if there's a new hose with a check valve. I'll pop the hood when they drop it off. As I said, the overflow tank was completely full. Curious to see where that level is when I get it back as well. Wish I had a before pic.

Weird...

Sent from my #racecar
Yes that is weird, since the coolant is surpose to get drawn back into the system as it cools down. So I take it they didn't offer any explanation as to why that was? Like did they have to burp it and why would it get that way except with that check valve line missing. Apparently the design of the systems is such that it creates air pocket(s) and the check valve addition was found necessary to prevent it. Leaky check valve and it may just result in air pockets again. Sounds like one crappy design.
I'll have to keep a close eye on mine, even with the newer hose.
Should ask them, how were they able to add a gallon of coolant with the overflow tank full. That's where it gets added.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #40
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Haha, I'm not going to ask any questions until it arrives at my door. Also curious to see what paperwork I get for my records, I'll be sure to look it over and post it up if there's any questions. In the end, if they fixed it, and it didn't cost me anything, I'm happy.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #41
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Should ask them, how were they able to add a gallon of coolant with the overflow tank full. That's where it gets added.
Uhh...magic?

Joking aside, they may have burped the system first, cleared a large air pocket, and then found the level low. Agree with au01st about not asking too many questions and just hoping the darn thing works right now.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #42
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Well the cylinder head temp sat steady at 199 when I kept it idling while I vacuumed at my apartment's car wash station. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Work order states: "checked and found low coolant level. pressure tested sys but could not find a leak at this time."

Took a pic of the level where the coolant is sitting now. You can see it's mark on the inside of the container. It's just above the cold fill line now. The regular coolant hose is still in there, no check valve.

Sorry for the thread jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	187364  

Old 07-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Uhh...magic?

Joking aside, they may have burped the system first, cleared a large air pocket, and then found the level low. Agree with au01st about not asking too many questions and just hoping the darn thing works right now.
Yeah agree.
Just would like to hear how they approached the burping procedure at that point.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #44
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
did you swap out your anti-freeze for coolant at the start of summer?

Old 07-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #45
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

Seeing as I live in Louisiana, I have no need for anti-freeze 51 1/2 weeks out of the year.

Semantics aside, coolant is what circulates through the system. Anti-freeze is an additive in coolant that lowers the freezing temp but also raises the boiling temp as well as provides lubrication and keeps gaskets from deteriorating.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #46
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post

I think that's bundled with the blinker fluid service.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:07 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
UPDATE!
So I got home from work and checked my fluid after topping it off yesterday and it has gone down some, BUT! Now it seems to have stopped leaking from the engine side from what I supposed was the water pump....and now seems to be leaking from the front side near the radiator! And the fan is throwing it around I believe....Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1437174279.448522.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	187370Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1437174316.932690.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	187371 and here is a close up shot of the water pump what seems to maybe have been leakingClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1437174400.878491.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	187372

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Brandonb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It will be very difficult for anyone to be able to determine the source of the leak, by looking at pictures over the internet.

I recommend thoroughly drying off all of the spots that are moist from the coolant, and then carefully watching the suspected leak areas while the car is idling and coming up to operating temperature. It may help if you can get underneath the car and have a look from that perspective.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It will be very difficult for anyone to be able to determine the source of the leak, by looking at pictures over the internet.

I recommend thoroughly drying off all of the spots that are moist from the coolant, and then carefully watching the suspected leak areas while the car is idling and coming up to operating temperature. It may help if you can get underneath the car and have a look from that perspective.
Right on!
Exactly the way a plumber would approach it.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I'll get right to that in the morning! Finally the weekend is here ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Old 07-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1437241485.559899.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	187412 well looking from underneath the car now I see coolant building to a drip and can see where it has been dripping from, I'm so confused, everything under my thermostat and water pump were wet a couple days ago, but my coolant was very low! Slap in the face for me for not checking it recently, it took a whole gallon of antifreeze when I filled it up the first day it leaked out and started to overheat, but since then it's lost some since Wednesday and I topped it off Thursday and it went back to where it was when before I had topped it off, but it doesn't seem to leak at all hardly....only when I top it off...lol all the mechanic shops are closed for the weekend๐Ÿ˜“

Old 07-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

I can see the drip but can you tell where the source of the leak is?
Is it coming from the engine side?
Or the radiator?
Old 07-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that picture was took while the car was running, but after turning it off and the fans stop moving you can see it slowly start to build up underneath the radiator....but can not see the actual source

Old 07-18-2015, 01:22 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm.
Well it wouldn't be the first time that a radiator failed and needs to be replaced.
It's possible that there is a pinhole leak, and when the system builds pressure, the coolant begins to spray out, and the fan is blowing it onto the front of the engine.

I know that it's difficult to find a mechanic on the weekend but try to find someone that can do a pressure test on the cooling system. They just put a few pounds of pressure on the cooling system and then check for leaks. Basically, what you just did except with the engine turned off, so that you can see things better without the belt spinning around or the threat of the fan turning on.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

I believe that could be the problem too....and yeah....I've already drove all through town everyone's closed lol I found one guy right down the road from me that was at his shop but he asked what I needed I told him my coolant was leaking if he could take a look at it...he said "well that's not no good but I'm closed today....and I'm behind in time about a week with other customers....I'm just up here working on my tractor" come by in about a week or 2 if no one can see you by then....

Old 07-18-2015, 01:39 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

If you have an AutoZone/O'Reilly's/Napa nearby, give them a call and see if they have a "loaner" Cooling System Pressure tester that you can borrow. It's easy to do yourself, if they have one.
The trick is just finding the definite source of the leak!
Old 07-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Actually do we have both here in town, how do they work? Wouldn't u need some type of air? And I don't have access to any water outside here....I might end up having a mechanic test and replace the radiator.....it looks like a pain to replace on these

Old 07-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #58
Staff

Regular
Staff

the only one I've seen had a little hand pump to pressurize the system. I would try blowing out all the radiator with compressed air till no water comes out from underneath...the water MAY have gotten in there from another source and could be just settling out when the fans shut off. Yeah, it could be the rad but the water pump has failed on a number of the 3.7's. If you remove the shroud at the top of the radiator it may help you see better.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:55 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Yes that's what I did Saturday and noticed fluid sitting underneath it, so I pulled off the plastic under neath to get a better look and seen it dripping, today I took it to a mechanic right after work(they were already closing) but he still looked at it for me and he added some coolant and put that pump on there your talking about but we couldn't see really where it was leaking but he told me to bring it by Wednesday so he could check it all out and he would fix it for me....

Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonb2012 View Post
Yes that's what I did Saturday and noticed fluid sitting underneath it, so I pulled off the plastic under neath to get a better look and seen it dripping, today I took it to a mechanic right after work(they were already closing) but he still looked at it for me and he added some coolant and put that pump on there your talking about but we couldn't see really where it was leaking but he told me to bring it by Wednesday so he could check it all out and he would fix it for me....

Be sure to let us know the outcome. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:27 AM   #61
Staff

Regular
Staff

If it's out of wtty and MY radiator was leaking I'd try something like Barr's StopLeak but I sometimes think like a Yankee Farmer.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I think using a stop leak is a gamble. can sometimes screw things up. Particularly if used more than once, so I read.
Also, came across this one..."Put a tablespoon of black pepper in the coolant, replace the radiator cap, start the engine and watch the leak stop before your eyes."
Old 07-21-2015, 09:00 AM   #63
Staff

Regular
Staff

the only bad stuff I've had from it (and I've used it quite a few times) is 1x it clogged the heater core some resulting in less heat output) for me it fixed the problem more often than not but this was in older cars.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Good ole water pump. Ford has a TSB out with a vent hose going to the radiator to fix this issue. Something to deal with pressure blowing them out.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Well the mechanic didn't find any other leaks, he found a hairline crack a little ways down my coolant reservoir though...that explains why it would only leak so much and then sort of stop....and barely drip...he replaced it and put new coolant in, all together it cost me $160 and I got my new hose coming in the mail hopefully tomorrow I'll put that on myself!

Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #66
Registered Member

Regular

So, sounds like the dealer didn't really do anything. Glad you've got it fixed for realz this time.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Nope I called about it and still waiting for a call back...THANKS BUT NO THANKS lol my dealer is also an hour away also but I found a nice local mechanic that'll probably be getting more work from me when I need it! Isn't it sort of odd for that reservoir to crack being 2 years old? They just don't make stuff like they used to anymore Huh?

Old 07-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #68
Registered Member

Regular

Built Ford tough... LOL

Old 07-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonb2012 View Post
Nope I called about it and still waiting for a call back...THANKS BUT NO THANKS lol my dealer is also an hour away also but I found a nice local mechanic that'll probably be getting more work from me when I need it! Isn't it sort of odd for that reservoir to crack being 2 years old? They just don't make stuff like they used to anymore Huh?

Glad it turned out to be a smaller issue..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tym_v6 View Post
Built Ford tough... LOL
This is funny..!!1
AirAidCIA | BAMA 87P Tune | BoralAtak AB| BMRAdj UCA | BMR UCA Mnt | BMRAdj PHB | GCCoilOvers | DSS 1 Piece AL Driveshaft | BMRLCA | BMR LCA Reloc Brackets | BARTONShifter | GT CS Spoiler| RedLine Hood struts | MMD Axim 20X8.5 Audio: Dynamatted Rear & Doors | AudioControl LC8i | Speakers: Infinity 682.9cf | RockFord Prime R250X4 Amp | Rockford Prime 500.1 Mono AMP | Kicker Twin10" L5 Solo Barics in a Ported BOX |P.S MORE TO COMEEEEE!!!!
Firstang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I need to turn my bass down some? Lol I have a 12inch in the trunk ๐Ÿ˜‚

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang