Help! Antifreeze leaking! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Help! Antifreeze leaking!

Well I remote started my car before heading to work and noticed fluid underneath my car, more than what an AC should be putting out, and walking down my stairs I smelled the familiar fishy smell, I rushed in my car to check my gauge and it was already climbing over the half way point....shut my car off, now I'm waiting for it to cool down before I add any antifreeze, what gives though? My cars 2 years old....what do yall think?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Brandonb2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 06:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1437001928.078597.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	187167 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1437001952.223525.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	187168Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1437001972.450358.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	187169

Old 07-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

I thought i heard there was an issue about the water pump giving out on some of these cars around that time? Someone correct me if I am wrong...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
2012 leaking coolant. Help!

look here...prob h2o pump
Old 07-15-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Yep looks like the famous 3.7 water pump failure
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That took me to a gas pedal fix lol, but damn! How much yall think that would run me? Parts and labor? I'm past 60k so doubt they'd cover it....

Old 07-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Bomba de agua.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

link worked for me...about 3 pages earlier in this section. idk but twice as much at a dealer...simple wrenching either local shop or buddy. Parts (non dealer 100-200) 2hrs labor working slow...make sure to get the updated anti-gas hose.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Staff

Regular
Staff

last post of link was 7/9
Old 07-15-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.orei...2013&make=Ford this what I need?

Old 07-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1437003287.071208.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	187170 this is what's most likely wrong? This is the pump right? Do yall think it would still be safe to drive for a while like this? Just make sure I have plenty of coolant?

Old 07-15-2015, 06:37 PM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Hey man. PM me about that gas fix that you stumbled across. The link doesnt pull it up for me and my stomach has been hurtin really bad :/
Old 07-15-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonb2012 View Post
Attachment 187170 this is what's most likely wrong? This is the pump right? Do yall think it would still be safe to drive for a while like this? Just make sure I have plenty of coolant?

Keep in mind that I do not own one of these cars but, yeah, that looks about where the water pump should be.

It looks like it leaked out quite a bit of coolant from the picture that you posted. You will have to keep a close eye on it if you need to drive it for a while before fixing it. Don't let it sit there and warm up. Just start it and get moving!
And I don't recommend using any of the "stop leak" products.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Keep in mind that I do not own one of these cars but, yeah, that looks about where the water pump should be.

It looks like it leaked out quite a bit of coolant from the picture that you posted. You will have to keep a close eye on it if you need to drive it for a while before fixing it. Don't let it sit there and warm up. Just start it and get moving!
And I don't recommend using any of the "stop leak" products.

And carry water with you.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Guess the pump wasn't built Ford tough!
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, well do yall have any tips on replacing this thing yourself? Is it pretty straight forward? Just replace parts and gaskets?

Old 07-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonb2012 View Post
Thanks guys, well do yall have any tips on replacing this thing yourself? Is it pretty straight forward? Just replace parts and gaskets?

Don't forget to replace the little hose that runs from the tank to the thermostat housing above the waterpump. The probable cause for your premature pump seal failure is that hose. It is supposed to have a backflow valve in it to prevent air from tank being sucked into the pump causing seal failure. Ford just neglected to install one from the factory. The replacement hoses have backflow valves. I have already installed one on my car, hopefully the water pump will last longer.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:30 AM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Coolant Pump Leakage Due to Air Entering the System – 2011-2014 Ford MustangVitaly's Mobile Auto Diagnostics, LLC - Vitaly's Mobile Auto Diagnostics, LLC

2012 leaking coolant. Help!

OVERFLOW HOSE | Genuine Ford | ER3Z-8276-A

I looked at my pump when I replaced the hose it seems easy enough to replace.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man and that link still takes me to some gas pedal fix lmao, but I may try and get it done this weekend.....I guess I would have to empty out all my coolant....should I go back with the motorcraft Orange or just some Prestone?

Old 07-16-2015, 08:03 AM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

I tend to put in OEM anti-freeze after having a Subi that was real fussy about what was used in it. What Iguana says about the hose is important.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Go OEM for that type of fluid. Dont risk cracking or something messing up.
Boltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

^ Yeah, Ford seems to use a special orange coolant that's a bit hard to find elsewhere.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I got Prestone in it right now, ordered a pump here in town for $85 lifetime warranty, couldn't find a hose anywhere so I guess I have to order that one online, with the Orange coolant....ahhhh I hate waiting, hope it doesn't get too bad on me

Old 07-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Just dropped mine off today. It was running hot and the coolant overflow tank is way full.

Should know more tomorrow. Curious if they put the new hose in when I get it back.

Sent from my #racecar

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting curious what your problem is too....maybe air getting trapped in your system somehow because of the hose who knows....anywho...well I found a guide to help me out with my water pump install, I'm just curious because I have to remove the thermostat housing, do yall think I would need to buy a new gasket for that too?

Old 07-16-2015, 11:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

I would. Gaskets are cheap.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:32 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

yes you'll need a new gasket
Old 07-17-2015, 06:11 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks I'll have to call and order that, hopefully get it all done tomorrow! There's no Motorcraft Orange around here I know of, unless the parts store has it or can order it....this Prestone I've been using is new supposedly and is supposed to work for everything though lol other than that I'll just need to get my new hose too, anybody know how much coolant is needed after emptying everything?

Old 07-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #29
Staff

Regular
Staff

No, but I know where my owners manual is and it's prob in that.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

You probably have to get it at the dealer. Having managed a parts store in the past, I don't recommend the universal coolant for these newer cars. Some just don't like it.

Fixing my sister's VW comes to mind where the plastic water pump had to be replaced at 40k and you really really want the VW coolant (can't remember if it was pink or purple).

Old 07-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Well first step is to locate source of leak. That is, confirm it is, in fact, the water pump.

Here's some stuff you may or may not find useful.
Once you find out what antifreeze you'll be using, you should find out if mixing different brands is okay or is not recommended. (The Owner's Manual says, "Add the coolant type originally equipped in your vehicle".) The reason I mention this is you typically don't get all the old stuff out by simply draining it by gravity. That's another thing to keep in mind when you are refilling it, as it will not take the 12.4 quarts (11.7L) as stated in the OM.

You have a choice to either drain a small amount to allow replacing the pump OR just drain as much as you can OR drain and flush system.

First off if there is any reason to believe that the coolant you'll be adding may not be compatible, you should do the complete drain and flush. This could be by gravity or power flush.
If power flushing, DO NOT subject the system to full hose pressure. Typically a coolant hose should be disconnected and/or get a kit and follow instructions.

Some people recommend running the engine to open thermostat while draining. You have to be careful not to run it without water circulating, as this could damage the engine.
You actually never know when all(or most) of the coolant has been drained. And chances are you won't drain the entire 12.4 quarts(3.7L engine) of coolant.

If your mileage on the current antifreeze is nowhere near requiring a change, and the same type antifreeze will be used, a flush is really not necessary. However, if you want to insure that all the old stuff is out, a gravity flush using the distilled water would be the way to go.
Just be aware of how much fresh coolant was added. Chances are good that it was not the entire 12.4 quarts that it is suppose to hold. So chances are a coolant strength gauge and some full strength antifreeze will be required to get it to 50/50 or whatever you wants it at.

The easiest way would be to drain just enough to replace the pump. Replenish with 50/50 mix of the same type of coolant already in there and consider burping it to get any excess air out and top off coolant.

I'd suggest reviewing a few youtube videos. Although I saw a lot that I thought were somewhat misleading because there was no mention of the possibility of water being left after draining.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Or, since this car is only a couple of years old, you can drain the antifreeze/coolant into a clean pan, and just pour it back into the radiator when you are finished.

And I agree with Diehard, before you begin, do your best to confirm that it is indeed the water pump that is leaking.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:27 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Or, since this car is only a couple of years old, you can drain the antifreeze/coolant into a clean pan, and just pour it back into the radiator when you are finished.

And I agree with Diehard, before you begin, do your best to confirm that it is indeed the water pump that is leaking.
That's a good thought to reuse the not so old coolant. I'll have to add that to my next write-up when a similar question comes up again.LOL
Old 07-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the information! And we'll I've already added a gallon of about 50-50 Prestone to it so I figure I should go ahead and change it? Or do yall think it should be alright? Just check my percentage after I change out the pump? And im pretty sure that's where it's coming from, I'll get a good luck at it today, it should be alright without the new hose for now as long as I make sure to burp the system right?

Old 07-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

It's up to you if you want to flush the system and then refill it with new antifreeze.
I used to do a flush/refill every time something like this occurred. Finally, I grew tired of replacing perfectly good antifreeze and started reusing it.

Here is a good article that will clear up some of the myths, and old information, about mixing different types of antifreeze.
http://blog.chiltondiy.com/2013/06/w...-your-vehicle/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang