Remove and Replace OE MCA Grilles ??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Remove and Replace OE MCA Grilles ???

Trying to get an idea of the difficulty level to remove (and replace) the stock MCA grilles from a 2014 V6. I want to Plasti Dip them black and remove the running pony tri-bar grille emblem.
I have seen some posts on the addition of an after market MCA grille but not sure that's the same.
I don't see an easy way to remove the emblem. Looks like small screws on back side. Otherwise I would not remove grille for painting.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You don't have to remove the emblem, I did mine just by masking the tri bar emblem, masking the front bumper and putting some card board at the back of the grill to avoid over spray and spray away.. I plasti dip mine too and touch it up once in a while.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437101649096.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	187271  
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
The grilles are just held in with clips, it's very easy.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Oops didn't read it well enough, so you wanna get rid of the tri bar? Noo it looks nice with it but to answer your question there is a screw behind it and the only way to get into it is to remove the grill which I think you have to remove the bumper but I'm not sure.

MPT TUNE, Borla S-Type, Airaid Cai, Ford racing X pipe, Mac ceramic shorty headers, 2010 GT500 rims, 35% tint, Sr Springs, J&M phb, camber bolts, blacked out side markers, front and taillights.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
The grilles are just held in with clips, it's very easy.
That's right. You just remove the radiator cover and you can see the clips that hold the grill to the bumper. Pull up on the clips while pulling the grille out to release them and it pops right out. no need to remove the bumper.
iguanaman3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I didn't even remove the radiator cover to get my Pony Package grille off. Literally just yank starting on one side and work across the front. Put some painters tape down in front of the grille to avoid any scratches.

"Holy crap bro. You're a genius." - 2011 Kona Blue
au01st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by au01st View Post
I didn't even remove the radiator cover to get my Pony Package grille off. Literally just yank starting on one side and work across the front. Put some painters tape down in front of the grille to avoid any scratches.
I've seen this and wasn't sure if the grilles would be identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
That's right. You just remove the radiator cover and you can see the clips that hold the grill to the bumper. Pull up on the clips while pulling the grille out to release them and it pops right out. no need to remove the bumper.
I like the sounds of this approach.
How about the bottom? I'll look at it closer in the mean time. If need be, I'll tape and paint that one in place.

Thanks all!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
Oops didn't read it well enough, so you wanna get rid of the tri bar? Noo it looks nice with it but to answer your question there is a screw behind it and the only way to get into it is to remove the grill which I think you have to remove the bumper but I'm not sure.

Hi shunc...Yeah I want to get rid of the front pony as well as the rear faux gas cap and pony.
Of course my wife doesn't want me to remove them but it will take her a while before she notices.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Hi shunc...Yeah I want to get rid of the front pony as well as the rear faux gas cap and pony.
Of course my wife doesn't want me to remove them but it will take her a while before she notices.
Like others stated above that there is a clip of some sort that you can get access behind the grill, the rear faux gas cap that one i dont know it seems like it is glued together with the decklid panel so you will have to take the whole decklid off.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The tri-pony on my c a r was held in place by two what i'll call sheet metal like nuts. And I could not reach them with grill in car. I installed MCA grill on my GT, but I don't think that made a difference.
Cobrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
You're in for a treat with the rear emblem. The chrome surround and the chrome pony in the middle... they're one piece. There is a black disc with the pony emblem cut-out that is placed on the chrome piece to just have the emblem showing. To replace it, you will need a dremel or other cutting tool.

It's not hard, it's just one of things you have to get over the fear of, "I could F$&# this up and be out $100 for a replacement." I think it's worth it.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're in for a treat with the rear emblem. The chrome surround and the chrome pony in the middle... they're one piece. There is a black disc with the pony emblem cut-out that is placed on the chrome piece to just have the emblem showing. To replace it, you will need a dremel or other cutting tool.

It's not hard, it's just one of things you have to get over the fear of, "I could F$&# this up and be out $100 for a replacement." I think it's worth it.
I'm just going to replace the whole rear deck lid panel with the CDC to match my rear plate surround.
CDC Mustang Rear Decklid Panel 1011-7005-01 (10-14 All) - Free Shipping
Old 07-17-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Ewww.

But to each their own. I'd figure out what cool emblem you'd rather have and then spend a little more for the RTR license plate surround.

That's one thing the 11/12 and '15 got right, I don't understand the license plate surround on the 13/14...

Old 07-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ewww.

But to each their own. I'd figure out what cool emblem you'd rather have and then spend a little more for the RTR license plate surround.

That's one thing the 11/12 and '15 got right, I don't understand the license plate surround on the 13/14...
Actually it's not that I like the license plate surroud, it's more that I wanted to get rid of the faux gas cap and the CDC did the job. Also, I'm not a fan of the shiny dust magnet rear deck lids.(Except on black cars.)
Of course the RTR rear deck lids have their problems now.
I actually like the 11/12 license plate surround better.
So that leaves me either this...

Name:	install-LPS1-7.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	187373
or this...

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	187374
Old 07-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
I had similar thoughts with mine but I ended up removing the chrome outer grill section and the pony and plastidipped them flat black. I did the same with the rear faux gas cap. Took two hours (only because I'm methodical) and cost was just the plastidip. See pics below. Just some more ideas for your bean.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0719151007.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	187490   Click image for larger version

Name:	0719151007a.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	187491  

2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 12:50 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
I had similar thoughts with mine but I ended up removing the chrome outer grill section and the pony and plastidipped them flat black. I did the same with the rear faux gas cap. Took two hours (only because I'm methodical) and cost was just the plastidip. See pics below. Just some more ideas for your bean.
Thanks!
I had done the same to my faux gas cap. You can see it in my Pictures.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton CIT View Post
Very sharp!! Love the dark horse and surround on the trunk.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:55 PM   #18

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrakit View Post
The tri-pony on my c a r was held in place by two what i'll call sheet metal like nuts. And I could not reach them with grill in car. I installed MCA grill on my GT, but I don't think that made a difference.

Just got mine , I had one on my 2013 v6 and it just looks so nice. Sucks loosing the giant fog lights but its a decent trade off.

Was it as easy as yanking the grill out to install the MCA grill? do i need to remove the bumper? It didnt have any clips with it like the Roush grill so i assume it just pops in?
perci100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
When CDC did the performance grille on my 2013 MCA, all they did was tape off the area around the grille to avoid scratching anything. Then just pull it straight out. No damage at all and the new grille was just pushed into place.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang