Turbonetics Turbo Kit - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Turbonetics Turbo Kit

Just got offered a twin turbo kit for less than $1,800. It's a universal kit for a Chevy. He told me he would sale me the single turbo for that price and just keep the addition turbo. What's the possibility of me making it compatible for my Mustang? The coolant and turbo I know are universal, but everything else I'm pretty much green on
Tyriqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
More info is needed.

The common misconception with turbo's is that they are universal and easy to install .. both of which are not true, unfortunately.

Things we need to know are what size is this turbo, what are your goals, how much are you willing to spend, who will be doing the work.

You can't just slap a turbo on a car and expect it to make a difference. Turbo sizing and flow rates, along with what you want the car to do are absolutely important in achieving your goals.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyriqq View Post
What's the possibility of me making it compatible for my Mustang?
Pretty close to 0

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^^ This. The only thing that makes it "universal" is the flange, but you still have to have custom headers to mate to it, custom intercooler set up, custom oil and / or coolant lines, custom down pipe ...
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

So basically depending on the size of the turbo, that's the only thing that he could sale me?
Old 07-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So basically depending on the size of the turbo, that's the only thing that he could sale me?
And whatever turbo he's selling is probably not worth 1800
In going with a precision 6467 double ball bearing turbo. And that's 1750. My old comp triplex turbo is around 1900 or so. The only reason I didn't get another comp turbo is because their customer service is complete ish and their warranty policy is a joke.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
There's a LOT more to a turbo set up - you need the right size turbo, proper sized injectors, then you will have to fab up the hot side piping and the cold side piping. Determine where and how you will mount the turbo so you know how to route your hot side to get to the turbo, and how to route the cold side. Depending upon where you mount it you may need a scavenger pump if gravity won't drain the oil back to the engine - and where will you get the oil from (i.e. tap the pan?) and where will you drain the oil back.

What size waste gate and blow off valve will you need? That needs to be the proper size and located in the correct spot. Where will you put the MAF - a blow through or draw through?

Finally, once you get it all figured out and installed, who will tune it for you? You can't just slap a turbo on and run the stock tune, and not many tuners are willing to take on a frankenstein turbo. Tuning is tricky for the turbo.

And after all that believe me, even a kit made for the 3.7 Mustang will have some things to work out. Took me all day to swap the waste gate on my car - the outlet would not line up and I had to loosen part of the hot side to get it to close. And after blowing up 2 engines, overboosting, I can tell you that even with a great tuner if it overboosts you will not last (and after spending all that time replacing what we thought was a bad waste gate, the car STILL overboosts - but I was watching the boost gauge like a hawk and out of it before it got too far).

Buying a "universal" kit is simply getting a small part of what you need and maybe a pile of pipe.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Honestly if you have to ask this question then a turbo "kit" is not for you.

Sent from the Bathroom

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

@JimC. Looking into getting a 2012 Boss(if I can find it) in a few years. Is boosting my DD worth the investment? I'm keeping it even after I find my Boss

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-19-2015, 10:56 AM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Honestly if you have to ask this question then a turbo "kit" is not for you.

Sent from the Bathroom
Not necessarily the case, we all had to start somewhere with our knowledge. At least he had the smarts to ask us all, before he decided to buy it,and having a whole lot of trouble to deal with, trying to get it to possibly work. I mean I still lack a lot of knowledge on F/I because I have no experience with it, but that's why I direct my questions to Voltwings and Alrefire!
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard3600 View Post
Not necessarily the case, we all had to start somewhere with our knowledge. At least he had the smarts to ask us all, before he decided to buy it,and having a whole lot of trouble to deal with, trying to get it to possibly work. I mean I still lack a lot of knowledge on F/I because I have no experience with it, but that's why I direct my questions to Voltwings and Alrefire!
You know the world is a scary place when people consider me even partially knowledgeable on a subject haha

Old 07-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Well, I figure you have went through enough bs with your turbos, that you can at least steer people in the right direction XD.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thats all i can offer at this point lol, how not to waste money -_-
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Thats all i can offer at this point lol, how not to waste money -_-
Lol, hey sometimes, that is all that is needed!
Old 07-19-2015, 04:36 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
@JimC. Looking into getting a 2012 Boss(if I can find it) in a few years. Is boosting my DD worth the investment? I'm keeping it even after I find my Boss

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
That is a question that only you can answer. How will you use the car, will you be driving it in such a way that you will use the extra power (i.e. at the track), is it just for show purposes, or is it just a daily driver? If the car is just a daily driver and you have no intention to take it to the track, then all you need is a tune to wake things up.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang