3.7 Valve woes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
3.7 Valve woes

First, yes i used the search button

So i have read countless articles, forum posts, and such regarding a valve noise coming from our engines. The problem is explained as a rattle, tap, noise when it cold and eventually goes away when it warms up. Which im sure tha'ts no fun either, but mine does the opposite of that, it becomes louder as it gets warmer, and the best way to describe it is it sounds like a card on a bike wheel but sharper and more metallic.

Its coming from the driver side valve cover,
Its the worst when holding it at around 2-2.3K rpm,
goes away (or is muffled) under a moderate to heavy load.
It does raise and lower with engine speed.
Its LOUD, like it reverberates off of passing cars and walls.

There's so many post on this type of thing i cant even begin to put a solid answer together, just looking for some insight,

Thanks!

2012 Mustang V6,
3:73's, Airaid Intake, Dynomax VT Exhaust, Hotchkis Stage 1 kit, Hopes and Dreams injection.
Meaningoflife90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Are you the first owner? Was wondering about oil change history, etc.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

No i am the second owner, bought it with 52K on it. So god knows, i switched it over to mobil 1 the day after i bought it and have done it every 4k since and i'm at 62k now.

2012 Mustang V6,
3:73's, Airaid Intake, Dynomax VT Exhaust, Hotchkis Stage 1 kit, Hopes and Dreams injection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Was it a rental? God knows what people do with a rental Mustang. Oh wait yes i do.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Luckily that is one thing i could be sure of, it wasn't a rental. I actually met the previous owner when i bough it, she was picking up her 2015 GT the same day i picked up mine.

Yeah i was jealous.

2012 Mustang V6,
Old 07-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
That would bother the hell out of me. I have also read quite a few post on this but most are just told "its normal" from their dealers.
I'm going to watch this thread. Good luck!

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Kevin.Cook

Just cuz it was a woman doesnt mean she didnt dog the hell out of it. If she was getting a GT, then you know she wanted more power. Something tells me she couldnt go fast enough with the v6....
Old 07-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Oh i had a feeling anyone moving from that to a 15 GT was looking for more power. I've seen both sides of the gender spectrum tear the hell out of a car.

None the less, on a scale of 1 to fubar'd..... where does this problem seem to sit, im going to try my dealer tomorrow.

2012 Mustang V6,
Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #9
Kevin.Cook

Without opening it up, it would be hard to tell. As long as the car runs ok, then you should be fine for now.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

If i open it up, (thank go its the drivers side) what am i looking for? A marred cam lobe? Marred follower?

2012 Mustang V6,
Old 07-17-2015, 10:12 PM   #11
Kevin.Cook

Does the car run funny at all?
Old 07-18-2015, 01:08 AM   #12
Kevin.Cook

Also, have any mods? What octane gas do you use? Just collecting info.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hydrolic lifters? Not pumping up or not staying pumped up?
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:25 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you're really worried do a compression / leak down test. If its a valve issue, you will see it there. The easiest fix may be to just step up to a thicker oil, whats the factory like 5w-20? Throw a 5w-40 in there (i run rotella T6 in ours) and see if it doesnt clear things up.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Thicker oil- You really gotta be kiddig

Mobil-1 5w 20 is what it calls for. You already have good oil in it and just try adding some Chevron Techron to the gas to clean out the injectors. That may or may not solve the problem.
Some of these guys will have people putting sawdust in the rear or crankcase to quiet down a problem like the shady dealers did in the good old days.

Thick oil will be quieter but really not a good option. Rotalla T6 oil for use in a turbo diesel is good for voltwings engine or a truck but I sure as hell would not use it in my Mustang.

Before you do anything, Take a long screwdriver and put it to your ear and to the valve cover to be sure that is where the noise is coming from. They do sell Automotive stethoscopes for this but the long screwdriver works pretty good.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

SeaFoam also works wonders on sticky/noisy injectors.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Kevin- Just your typical intake exhaust, nothing real involved yet, i run 89 most of the time. it does not really run bad at all.

Voltwings, i dont think the vale is not seating correctly i think the cam to valve contact point is the issue

Ronnie, ill go try that trick with the screw driver now.

2012 Mustang V6,
Old 07-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Let us know how it sounds

Listen to both sides and see if the passenger side has the same noise but not as loud.
Ronnie
Old 07-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Thick oil will be quieter but really not a good option. Rotalla T6 oil for use in a turbo diesel is good for voltwings engine or a truck but I sure as hell would not use it in my Mustang.

Ronnie
The reason rotella T6 is good in Turbos and diesel engines is because even though it is thick, it easily flows through tiny passages, such as turbo feed and drain, and doesn't break down due to heat. This makes it a fantastic oil for damn near any engine, and i can show you several black stone lab reports to prove that.

There are a lot of parts in these TI-vct engines that rely on oil pressure to operate, hell, the Cams have their own oil pressure regulators. In the summer months when oil is more likely to break down, especially if you're using cheap oil, and the systems are seeing too low of pressure, it can cause an issue. This is specifically why the track pack GT has a 5w-50 spec oil. The 5w-20 is just a thin oil to help the v6 hit it's mpg targets.

Thicker oil would not only be a remedy, but a diagnostic approach as well.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaningoflife90 View Post
No i am the second owner, bought it with 52K on it. So god knows, i switched it over to mobil 1 the day after i bought it and have done it every 4k since and i'm at 62k now.
I'm wondering, why would you buy Mobil 1 and swap it every 4k miles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
The reason rotella T6 is good in Turbos and diesel engines is because even though it is thick, it easily flows through tiny passages, such as turbo feed and drain, and doesn't break down due to heat. This makes it a fantastic oil for damn near any engine, and i can show you several black stone lab reports to prove that.

There are a lot of parts in these TI-vct engines that rely on oil pressure to operate, hell, the Cams have their own oil pressure regulators. In the summer months when oil is more likely to break down, especially if you're using cheap oil, and the systems are seeing too low of pressure, it can cause an issue. This is specifically why the track pack GT has a 5w-50 spec oil. The 5w-20 is just a thin oil to help the v6 hit it's mpg targets.

Thicker oil would not only be a remedy, but a diagnostic approach as well.
Ive heard you could get 2 different weights. 1/2 5w20 the other half 5w40 the heavier oil will help with the preasure while the lighter oil keeps everything going smoothly. Honestly it sounds like a jacked up mess and for me doesnt sound right at all.

Also has anyone used Marvel Mystery Oil before?
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I used some Marvel Mystery oil long ago on a 1990 Ranger crankcase. It caused the cork oil pan gasket to deteriorate and plugged up the oil pump pickup. Had to pull pan, replace gasket & as preventable maint the oil pump.
I don't use it in modern engines today.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

CS Upper/Lower Grill | GT Mufflers | JLT Catch Can | PP Engine Cover | Steeda PH Brace | JDM Adj PH bar | AMR 18x9 Dark Stainless -Cont Contact Sport 235-55x18 | Roush Vent Pod/Oil Pressure Gauge | Airaid MIT - aFe Pro S |MMD Hood Struts | Prev Maint Rear Axle Vent tube, Radiator degass tube
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Fintile;2262633]I'm wondering, why would you buy Mobil 1 and swap it every 4k miles?

I like working up into longer intervals, i dont know, i feel more comfortable that way. apparently it did a whole fat lot of good....

Update! now that i really stuck my head in there and had someone hold it at 2k, i sear it sounds like its coming from the front top of the driver valve cover.

2012 Mustang V6,
Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Sounds like a cam phaser.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:02 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree43 View Post
I used some Marvel Mystery oil long ago on a 1990 Ranger crankcase. It caused the cork oil pan gasket to deteriorate and plugged up the oil pump pickup. Had to pull pan, replace gasket & as preventable maint the oil pump.
I don't use it in modern engines today.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
You 100% with no doubt that was the cause? I used it in every oil change and every 3 gas fill up on my 2004 Hyundai from 10k miles 170k miles later my brother drove it cross country with me and he has it here in Boston. Ive just never used it in my Mustang. Im guessing i shouldnt. Im just going to stick with the motercraft semi-synth that Ford puts in the car. This is the um-teenth time Ive heard someone having a valve issue, idle issue or just noise period after using an aftermarket full synthetic. Makes me reconsider getting new tranny fluid now.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Well! Got the news today!

Cylinder 5 is coming apart, either at the wrist pin or a rod bearing, it goes away when you deactivate the cylinder and there is metal in the oil.

yee
freaking
haw

2012 Mustang V6,
Old 07-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #26
Kevin.Cook

Holy s*** i didnt even know this happened on our cars. Guess "built ford tough" is out of the question...
Old 07-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Did you buy your 2012 brand new ??????

How many miles on it now????

I hate to hear your bad news and hope it does not cost you way to much to fix.
Ronnie
Old 07-25-2015, 12:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

69k Miles on it is all.

Yeah ford told me 7000 for a long block, i think ill risk a used on at this point.

2012 Mustang V6,
Old 07-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Hit up Alrefire, i feel like dude just has them laying around at this point
Old 07-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Call ford up directly and ***** at them. They will work with you.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:03 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Hit up Alrefire, i feel like dude just has them laying around at this point
Lmao
No, I only have 2 motors.

You can find a decent used one for pretty cheap.
Just be careful with picking one, my spare motor has an oil leak. It's coming out in a month or so, so I'm not too concerned with taking it apart to fix it now.

If I purchased from lkq, it'd be covered under their 6 Month warranty... but..... I'm cheap lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:39 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Holy s*** i didnt even know this happened on our cars. Guess "built ford tough" is out of the question...
Thats just their trucks. With their cars (the Mustang in particular) it's "FORD BUILT TOO MANY" constant mass production and "half 'ed" quality standards is why we have these issues. youd never see this in a Toyota or hell not even the Genesis Coupes have seen as many issues as our V6. I think this is a sign for you to do a 5.0 or go all out with a GT500 crate swap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaningoflife90 View Post
69k Miles on it is all.

Yeah ford told me 7000 for a long block, i think ill risk a used on at this point.
7000 will get you a working used 5.0 with harness. trans is another 2-3k depending where you find it... I could be wrong though.

I gotta say considering the issue with the amount of time you have had this issue and Im sure youve driven the car hard a couple times tells me its still has a pretty solid build.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Meaningoflife90

I know I asked before if you bought the Mustang "BRAND NEW"
I'll ask again because you never said.
Ronnie
Old 07-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I know I asked before if you bought the Mustang "BRAND NEW"
I'll ask again because you never said.
Ronnie
He answered that in the 3rd post. He bought it used with 52,000 miles on it.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Thanks iguanaman3

I sure don't know how I missed that but I did.

I'm wondering if the person that had it before used crap oil or maybe did not change it at all. It is rare for the 3,7 V6 to have any problems. They have been using that engine in trucks with zero problems.

69,000 miles is not a lot on a late model car of any brand.
Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang