Coolant leak thermostat housing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #1
Region: Hawaii
Unhappy Coolant leak thermostat housing

Alright guys any help would be appreciated.I noticed my coolant reservoir keep getting low after a month or 2.So I took it to the dealership and they did pressure test and couldnt find any leaks.6 months later I notice dried coolant under my thermostat housing weephole.Should I change the waterpump or thermostat housing? My car never overheats just engine rpms dip when my ac is on.Click image for larger version

Name:	themrasta2.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	580.0 KB
ID:	187409Click image for larger version

Name:	thermahousing.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	187410

cardelljones23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Massachusetts
No easy answer.
Try to determine the exact source of the leak. At the leak rate you're talking about you may have a little time before having to fix it.
If the leak appears to be originating from the pump weep hole(s) it could very well be an impending failure.

The following was copied from an article off the web, FYI.

Does a drip from the weep hole mean seal or pump failure?
Perhaps. Seals will drip as the seal lap in but to understand a more prolonged or intermittent “drip” you have to understand a seal’s design. Seals purposefully drip because capillary action draws fluid from the seal face. As the seal drips, it helps wash loose debris out and reduce the heat load. Most drips evaporate or fall on the road and are not noticed.

Naturally, a more pronounced drip indicates a compromised seal and impending bearing failure.

There are a lot of post already on this subject. You should look at them and get familiar with the common problems people are having with water pumps.

14 V6 auto, MCA, PP, BBK Shorties, MMD Hood Struts, Borla Touring A/B's, MAC ProChamber, aFe drop-in Filter
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Region: California
My water pump started leaking at 29,000 mi. For no reason. Dealer pressure checked and replaced under warranty
2012 Pony Pkg 3.7 convertible, MPT tuned, 4.10's, Dynotech 3.5" DS, Borla Touring axle backs, BBK 73mm TB and ceramic shorties, Whiteline sway bars and UCA/LCA with relocation brackets, BMR adj. PHB and brace, Steeda CAI, CE frame braces, Bilstein shocks, H&R race springs, SS brake lines, full HID, GT 500 gauge pod with gauges and misc. exterior upgrades
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:57 AM   #4
Coolant leak thermostat housing

My 2012 v6 stang water pump leaked and started getting hot a month after I bought it , took to dealer and was fully covered and replaced under warranty. Something to do with return valve in coolant bottle.

2012 Mustang
In Haines City. Fl.
espndon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang