Average cost to install axle backs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Average cost to install axle backs

team--what do you think a fair price to expect to pay to have some axle backs on? First place I called they said 175....seem high to me--if I had a garage I'd do it myself..but maybe that's the going rate??
raykrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
15 minutes of your time.
You don't even need a jack

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Really that simple?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Average cost to install axle backs

I did it pretty quick and used a buddies lift. If you do it yourself you have more money for mods

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You need a 13mm wrench. That is it. you can do them without the car jacked up (obviously it REALLY helps) but yeah, no way in hell should you pay $175 for that little time or effort.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Appreciate the advice team....it seemed awfully high to me...and I never mind a lil sweat
Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Very easy install. I'm a big guy so I used a jack but u can park the car hanging over a small curb and do it to.

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Buy a $40 set of ramps you'll need them later on especially once the mods start coming

Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I didn't even use a jack the rubber hanger was the hardest part
Old 07-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by raykrieg View Post
team--what do you think a fair price to expect to pay to have some axle backs on? First place I called they said 175....seem high to me--if I had a garage I'd do it myself..but maybe that's the going rate??
Save your $$$, took me 45 minutes no lift or jack stands required........unless your lowered.

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If you know how to use a socket wrench you can do it yourself. Like everyone said getting the stocks out of the hanger brackets is the hardest part. New ones go in like butter. Save your money or send it to me if you want to throw it away.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooolbreeez View Post
If you know how to use a socket wrench you can do it yourself. Like everyone said getting the stocks out of the hanger brackets is the hardest part. New ones go in like butter. Save your money or send it to me if you want to throw it away.

Is funny cause I didn't read the instructions and just used an impact wrench and took the hangers out and put them back on with the new mufflers lol.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:27 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
my hint is to remove the hanger bracket with the mufflers as mentioned b4 sliding it off was the hardest part.

If you pay a shop figure 1 hr labor (it'll take them 1/2 hr) or put out an appeal on the forum to some local member and you should be able to get it done for the cost of lunch and you can go for a ride afterwards.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:45 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My car is really really low and it took me under 12 minutes to swap axle backs with out lifting the car. Easiest thing in the world.

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #15
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Hey Ray - It's looking like you've already got some solid info along with pointers in here and it's really that easy to do. I would suggest getting another set of hands and potentially someone that's done the install before or hell, if you want to give us a call while you're doing the install we'll walk you through it literally step by step!

From getting the car jacked to removing the stock system I think we'd have it on the car in 30 minutes. Which Axle-Back were you looking at anyhow? I can't help but notice that you just crossed 50 posts (Discount Time!)

Regardless we're here to get you some great install info prior to purchasing the kit and so once it's delivered you're good to go.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:16 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
It's not the type of install that requires a garage.
I think you should do it, if for nothing else than for the pure pleasure and satisfaction of doing it yourself. Regardless of any cost savings. It's something you can't really mess up.
Here's my front lawn install.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8064.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	510.8 KB
ID:	187732Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8066.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	456.4 KB
ID:	187731Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8074.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	187730
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Depending on how old your car is and how rusted underneath from salt if you are in a cold climate like I used to be, it can be pretty hard to get the old ones off. I recommend getting some PB blaster and spraying the heck out of the hangers and where the muffler meets the midpipe and let it sit overnight.
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

stuck

So apparently my pype bombs were welded on......If anyone can assist me (dummy this up)....I have a couple questions....and not sure how to ask them....so if anyone is is experienced....especially when dealing with a mac pro chamber please PM me. thanks.

Frustrated in Kentucky!
Old 07-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So apparently my pype bombs were welded on......If anyone can assist me (dummy this up)....I have a couple questions....and not sure how to ask them....so if anyone is is experienced....especially when dealing with a mac pro chamber please PM me. thanks.

Frustrated in Kentucky!
So your first post neglected to mention a lot of detail.
Did they know what you had when they gave you the 175 quote? Maybe it was reasonable, depending on what exactly had to be done.(Cut, weld, piece connectors, etc.)
You may want to indicate exactly what you have and don't have, and exactly what you want to end up with.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

heres my problem (I think)

No the 175 quote I received was just the unbolt and bolt new one on.

I took it somewhere today where a guy showed my that my pype bomb was welded on and that the axle pype connected to the pype bomb was only 2 1/4. I originally bought mac pro chamber and pype bombs because I thought they were simple bolt ons.

Today when I got under the car I see that my Pro chamber appears to be on backwards....can anyone please let me know if I am wrong----I have called a few guys local and they laugh and say it is impossible to put an H pipe on backwards.....feeling dumb for even asking the question now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 2.19.05 PM.png
Views:	62
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	187757  
Old 07-22-2015, 02:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I took it somewhere today where a guy showed my that my pype bomb was welded on and that the axle pype connected to the pype bomb was only 2 1/4. I originally bought mac pro chamber and pype bombs because I thought they were simple bolt ons.

Today when I got under the car I see that my Pro chamber appears to be on backwards....can anyone please let me know if I am wrong----I have called a few guys local and they laugh and say it is impossible to put an H pipe on backwards.....feeling dumb for even asking the question now.
To the best of my knowledge what you show is the off road ProChamber, which eliminated the stock cats and resonators. And as you have it noted, was properly installed and did not require any cutting or welding. I'm not sure why you thought it was backwards. (I have the ProChamber [For Stock Cats] version that did require cutting to leave the stock cats and resonators in place.)
I am not familiar with exactly where the pipe bombs typically get installed. They apparently didn't come with the appropriate connecting flanges, if they had to be welded in. Also, our exhaust size is 2 1/4" so don't know why that came up.
Hopefully those that are familiar with the pipe bombs, and I'm sure there are many, will chime in. Why didn't the guy that you took it to just say what it would take to add the typical axle back? They come with a flanged connection so he would have to either add a flange to the existing pipe after cutting out the pipe bombs or cut the flange from the axle back to allow welding.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Last update

after the nutroll today; I met a mustang driver who works in a garage and my Mac axle back is now connected (no issues) to my Mac Pro chamber...it cost me a 12 pack, pizza, and great conversation. Thx to you all for your help. Gotta love mustang owners always quick to help each other out.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Sound clip bro

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

That is the correct way man, no need to worry its correct

Sent from my SM-G925T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
PapiJose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:33 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
after the nutroll today; I met a mustang driver who works in a garage and my Mac axle back is now connected (no issues) to my Mac Pro chamber...it cost me a 12 pack, pizza, and great conversation. Thx to you all for your help. Gotta love mustang owners always quick to help each other out.
Congrats dude, post up a sound clip.
Cooolbreeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #26
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Ray - This is awesome. I love reading posts like these, it makes me the much more proud to be apart of such a great community!

Don't hesitate to shoot me a PM if there's ever anything I can help out with or make a post and I'll see it, I'm always around here.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Thx Alex...just thinking how great AM is to have such dedication in you. Appreciate you always looking out.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #28
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Consider this a "like" for this post. This is what can be great about forums. I helped RoboStang lower his ride and know when I finish my bathroom (one project at a time) we get to work on lowering mine.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

120-140

Chrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang