JLT Oil Separator - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
JLT Oil Separator

JLT Oil Separator - Of all things to have a problem with. Just got my order in today. The unit fits great except the only way it fits is by plugging the tube that is labeled intake with an arrow into the block and the other end into the intake. Looking at pictures online, everyone else has it installed backwards too. Opening up the can, you can see the screen only is on the "intake" side so putting it in backwards so it would fit defeats the purpose. Gotta be a simple solution.

Signed embarrassed and confused,
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Some pictures may help. Here is the unit installed backwards and the close up you can clearly see the arrow pointing and saying intake. The last picture is with the can off. It seems logical that the screen would be on the tube going out to the intake to screen off anything from the can going out; not screening everything going into the can. Logic and labels coincide here. You can't swap the tubes either as one has a deeper thread that closes off a port. Any thoughts anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0722151912.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	187807   Click image for larger version

Name:	0722151912a.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	930.3 KB
ID:	187808  

Name:	0722151916.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	187809  
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Old 07-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Kevin.Cook

Here is mine. Tubing was stiff but it fit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1437607663820.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	187810   Click image for larger version

Name:	1437607685215.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	187811  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Same thing. In your pic, see the arrow pointing and labeled intake? If one side wasn't actually connected to the intake, I'd think nothing of it. JLT happens to be half an hour away but I'll call them in the am. It's the little things like this that drive me nuts.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
Kevin.Cook

S'all good man.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Kevin.Cook

You copying my car? lol
Old 07-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

I'm trying to improve my image my friend.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
Kevin.Cook

Ahh so you think you can out-do me? Challenge accepted.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

The challenge is my 2.73 gears vs your 3.73 gears in mpg then!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
Kevin.Cook

I lost before that challenge even started! I can see my gas needle drop as I drive. LOL. I get like 19 avg MPG combined city and highway.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
The tube is from a different car, and is cut for the can. The arrow is meaningless, it's just a hollow tube. It only means something on the engine it was designed for because that is how it fits that engine.

You have it installed correctly. The logo reads in the correct orientation standing on the passenger side of the engine bay.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Just installed one three weeks ago. I questioned it too, but since it fit so well the way it did. I just figured some one stuck the label on the wrong end of the hose.
Shadetree43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:11 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The tube is from a different car, and is cut for the can. The arrow is meaningless, it's just a hollow tube. It only means something on the engine it was designed for because that is how it fits that engine.

You have it installed correctly. The logo reads in the correct orientation standing on the passenger side of the engine bay.
I contimplated that as well but at over 100 clams, I'd think they would pull off a confusing sticker. That almost has a craft shop / Lowes jury rig feel if that's the case. Will call or go by there this afternoon to solve the mystery.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:26 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Paying that much for a part that is being "questioned" by its purchasers should be corrected. Poor attention to detail IMO.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The only thing I've ever really questioned about the JLT is that the filter is on the incoming side, instead of the exit side. It catches and pulls out the liquid vapors either way, but as the can gets full (more a winter issue with more moisture added in) with the screen on the incoming vs exit it allows the exit to also potentially suck the contents out of the can.

That's one of the huge advantages of the bob's can, everything enters lower in the can below the screens and exits out the top back to the intake.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Exactly my thoughts too on the screen Marius, Hence my remark, logic and labels match. Just hung up with JLT. The hose with the sticker is OEM off a GT like JimC said. JLT orders OEM parts, puts the unit together but do not remove the sticker. When I pointed out the obvious about the label and arrow, I could hear the light bulb flash on. They said, oh yeah, that's worth looking into. smh

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang