Dyno tune vs Email tune - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dyno tune vs Email tune

So i feel like there is a lot of confusion regarding this subject, and since I'm at work on a Saturday with nothing better to do, I'm going to take a stab at clearing a few things up.

So, lets start out with the email tune. I understand everyone has their own views and opinions on these, and while i respect all of those, some of them are just plain wrong . I feel a lot of people get confused with what an actual email tune is vs a "canned tune."
A canned tune is step one of an email tune, a lot of people seem to think its all there is to it, but its simply a starting point. The reason these tunes can be "canned," "cookie cutter," ETC, is because pretty much every single car (v6 mustang in this case) with the same mods will operate within a certain range. Every single intake / off road X-pipe car, will be very close to the next. This is why you can be sent out a "cookie cutter" tune to get you started.
The steps that follow this, the datalogging, the back and forth via email, this is 100% a custom tune. When you datalog and send your tuner the information, it is the exact same procedure that is taking place on a dyno, there is literally no difference.

Next, we move on to a dyno tune. I dont want to make it sound like i am dogging dyno tunes, they certainly have their time and place, but i hate to break it to you, an all motor v6 on pump gas just is not it. The only benefit a dyno has over an email tune is that you can see where MBT is when dialing in the timing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_brake_torque . While being a benefit of a dyno, this is not relevant to 99% of the people on this forum, and really is only an issue for the odd boosted scenario here and there. For the most part, every single bolt on car will behave pretty similar to the next.

I understand this thread really hasn't explained much so far, its just kind of made a few statements about what i believe to be true, but basically there are so many avenues this conversation could take, that im not even going to try to possibly cover them all. Instead, i want this to be a singular place of discussion for this topic. All questions, comments, and concerns should just be directed here, that way we dont spam other threads with tons of redundant information.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Kevin.Cook

Just curious and idk if you have experience with both but figured you have an abundance of knowledge and wisdom on these cars. Why would MPT's tune feel more aggressive then others? Any idea what specific parameters might be changed and if their 93 Race tune is safe for a DD vs say Bama or Steeda's 93 tunes?
Old 07-25-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
Just curious and idk if you have experience with both but figured you have an abundance of knowledge and wisdom on these cars. Why would MPT's tune feel more aggressive then others? Any idea what specific parameters might be changed and if their 93 Race tune is safe for a DD vs say Bama or Steeda's 93 tunes?
Sure, there's tons of things involved in making power, intake cam advance for low end torque, ignition advance, AFR ...

The beauty of these VVT motors is that you can really play around with the power band and get essentially "the best of both worlds." You can increase the intake cam down low for example, which increases dynamic compression (typically at the sake of airflow) which will build lots of low end torque. From there, you back that intake cam advance back out a little to get some more top end air flow for top end power. Depending on how each tuner decides to approach these events (as well as how they factor in ignition advance) can determine how each car will feel, put down power, etc... These cars also have an electric throttle body, which means its very easy to make the car feel more spunky just by adjusting the DBW (drive by wire) tables. For example, if you press the gas pedal down 5%, i can have the throttle blade open 20%. Not knocking MPT, because i have no idea if that's something they implement ( a simple data log of applied pedal position vs actual pedal position can tell you though) but its a very nifty way of "waking a car up."

As far as if these things are safe or not is concerned, there's a lot that goes into answering that, so for the sake of discussion lets just say as long as the car is not knocking or running lean that it is safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Actually I disagree with on road tuning being just the same as dyno tuning. First off, there are many variances in dyno's and how they are operated. There is no replacement for live on road tuning. Many times (coming from srt4 world a few platforms back) my dyno tune would run lean on the road with knock (which did not show on loaded dyno) and I had to add fuel. I know people will cry it's not safe etc. etc. But, bottom line it's the best. If your all caught up in drag racing then live logs from the track are the best. If you roll it on the hwy then logs from there are best. And this includes all the loading dynos (superflow, mustang) etc. Good luck...
Old 07-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc03svt View Post
Actually I disagree with on road tuning being just the same as dyno tuning. First off, there are many variances in dyno's and how they are operated. There is no replacement for live on road tuning. Many times (coming from srt4 world a few platforms back) my dyno tune would run lean on the road with knock (which did not show on loaded dyno) and I had to add fuel. I know people will cry it's not safe etc. etc. But, bottom line it's the best. If your all caught up in drag racing then live logs from the track are the best. If you roll it on the hwy then logs from there are best. And this includes all the loading dynos (superflow, mustang) etc. Good luck...
You and i actually agree in that aspect, i have had cars run 25 psi on a dyno, then hit the street and are overboosting to 28 because the dyno was not loaded properly.

In this case, we're arguing two different things however. My initial comment was that the dyno operator, when writing a tune, is looking at the exact same information via the datalogging process and making changes based upon it, that an email tuner would be making. The accuracy of that information is another issue entirely
Old 07-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
You and i actually agree in that aspect, i have had cars run 25 psi on a dyno, then hit the street and are overboosting to 28 because the dyno was not loaded properly.

In this case, we're arguing two different things however. My initial comment was that the dyno operator, when writing a tune, is looking at the exact same information via the datalogging process and making changes based upon it, that an email tuner would be making. The accuracy of that information is another issue entirely
Not arguing Brother, just making a valid point. I've done them all. My personal opinion is "on road" is more accurate. But, it takes more time (sending in logs etc.) and is more dangerous (breaking the law) in the end. I think a good tuner/operator with a properly calibrated dyno will get you close on a loading dyno. This is second choice if you don't have the roads or time to do it right imo.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not arguing Brother, just making a valid point. I've done them all. My personal opinion is "on road" is more accurate. But, it takes more time (sending in logs etc.) and is more dangerous (breaking the law) in the end. I think a good tuner/operator with a properly calibrated dyno will get you close on a loading dyno. This is second choice if you don't have the roads or time to do it right imo.

Maybe "discussing" was the more appropriate word to use , we're on the same page regarding on road tuning though.

I know there are just some people here who swear a dyno tune up and down. Thats fine, it may very well be what they prefer, believe is best, etc, i just want a thread where people can have all the information involved in making a decision like this.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest

Supporter

Region: Virginia
This is very helpful in giving me additional insight. Thanks.
2016 Premium Eco w/ PP - Roush Quarter Window Scoops, Side Scoops, Rear Spoiler; Modded GT Mesh Grilles; FP Strut Tower Brace; Eibach Pro-Kit Springs; Steeda IRS Bushings; BMR Billet Delrin/Spherical Vertical Links; Mishimoto Oil Separator; MAPerformance CAI; Mishimoto Intercooler/Aluminum Charge Pipes; Turbosmart Kompact Dual Port BOV; Turbosmart IWG75 Wastegate (10 PSI); Mishimoto Coolant Tank; JLT Engine Cover; Mishimoto Downpipe with modded MBRP XP Catbacks for TRUE 3" exhaust from turbo to tips; Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors
Hampton CIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It all depends on your setup. Everyone gets all wet over email tunes and a data log.
Funny honestly, but what do you expect lmao.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Interesting title for your thread?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1437868716357.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	188048  
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:00 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Your phone has been consumed with your build lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1437868845075.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	188049  
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
Your phone has been consumed with your build lol
Well then.... hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
It all depends on your setup. Everyone gets all wet over email tunes and a data log.
Funny honestly, but what do you expect lmao.

Yeah LMAO.

Funny the same guy on here who feels the need to express his opinions on most threads. Where do we start? "You got to mix things up if you want to be the fastest." I blew my motor on a 200 shot of nitrous...so naturally I'm an expert. I got 20k in mods in my car (Oh look at me) and another 20k to go. But, then you rant on about I'm going to sell it and buy a vette or a house. Who cares....
Old 07-25-2015, 09:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah LMAO.

Funny the same guy on here who feels the need to express his opinions on most threads. Where do we start? "You got to mix things up if you want to be the fastest." I blew my motor on a 200 shot of nitrous...so naturally I'm an expert. I got 20k in mods in my car (Oh look at me) and another 20k to go. But, then you rant on about I'm going to sell it and buy a vette or a house. Dude, your a "F" in tool bag! Who cares....

Old 07-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ban me for being honest... Lol.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

25 year old who thinks he cool..,
Old 07-25-2015, 09:25 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ban me for being honest... Lol.
Let's keep the hate going I thrive off of it come on let's keep it going tuff guy :thumbup:

Old 07-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Love you Rap.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Love you Rap.
:sly:

Old 07-25-2015, 09:29 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Old 07-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #21
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
😤

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Lol.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to rock the boat. I call it as I see it.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Love you Rap.
I love him more

Sent from my LG-D851 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
I love him more

Me too.
zinc03svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:59 PM   #26
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Me too.
Might have to race to settle this

Old 07-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Bunch of hoot nannies crappin up my thread
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	look at this.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	188066  
Old 07-25-2015, 10:01 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Might have to race to settle this

Well if 20k in mods does not beat me then...

I will put his *** on 225/45 snow studs.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Bunch of hoot nannies crappin up my thread
Its a good thread bro with good information. Just trying to revive your thread 👍

Old 07-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #30
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Hm, interesting read. Not that crap about them, but the info. Nice to have a general idea before getting a custom tune for my car.

Pick your poison.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:06 AM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: North Carolina
I do really appreciate the "write up" Volt did, it gives a good insight on what may or may not be right for your individual situation.
Mods: Cervini Stalker Hood, Roush highflow upper and lower grill, AirRaid CAI, LMR strut tower brace,Mac LT headers,Mac Prochamber, Kooks Highflow Cats,Dynomax Race Bullets (resonators), 2.5 o/a pipes, 2011 Gt500 Axlebacks, MPT 93 performance tune.
alucard3600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang